The Student Room Group

Do you ever text your teachers?

Hey,

So basically, what I was wondering is whether any of y’all have your teachers’ numbers, and whether you text them? Because, particularly at the ages of 18 and 19, students and teachers may have similar interests and could forge a legitimate friendship. Idk - I don’t, but I was wondering if it actually happens.

Scroll to see replies

No that's really weird and nerdy. Whose side are you on.
I personally don't, but one of my teachers has a few of her former students as her Facebook friends. I can see why, she's awesome. She was more like a friend than a teacher a lot of the time. I would want that too but I feel a bit awkward doing that. Having their numbers seems a bit odd though.
Reply 3
Original post by Punjabichai93
No that's really weird and nerdy. Whose side are you on.

Lol, I already said I didn’t. 😂 I’m just wondering if teachers and adult students can actually forge genuine lifelong friendships; I’d assume they could, because they’re both adults, and because there will obviously be overlaps in interests/hobbies between some students and teachers.
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
I personally don't, but one of my teachers has a few of her former students as her Facebook friends. I can see why, she's awesome. She was more like a friend than a teacher a lot of the time. I would want that too but I feel a bit awkward doing that. Having their numbers seems a bit odd though.

Idk, college emails can easily be flagged up. ‘Excessive’ email interaction etc. I personally think that our society is OTT with regards to teacher-student relationships; teachers who are literally teaching adults are bound to forge friendships - heck, perhaps even more (at a suitable time, of course!)
Original post by Just Tired
Idk, college emails can easily be flagged up. ‘Excessive’ email interaction etc. I personally think that our society is OTT with regards to teacher-student relationships; teachers who are literally teaching adults are bound to forge friendships - heck, perhaps even more (at a suitable time, of course!)

Sorry I'm a little confused about how my comment relates to your reply. That sounds really rude but it genuinely isn't :colondollar:
Reply 6
Sorry I'm a little confused about how my comment relates to your reply. That sounds really rude but it genuinely isn't :colondollar:

Sorry, should’ve made it clearer! I meant with regards to text messaging teachers and adult students may well forge a legitimate friendship, so it seems like they would have some contact through text messages or something? Idk haha
Reply 7
No. That would be incredibly weird.
Sorry, should’ve made it clearer! I meant with regards to text messaging teachers and adult students may well forge a legitimate friendship, so it seems like they would have some contact through text messages or something? Idk haha

Oh okay I get you - yeah sometimes that can happen.
Reply 9
Hey, I completely understand your question because I used to feel that way all the time in sixth form/college because you begin to have a more comfortable, adult relationship with your teachers that you'd wish you could be friends outside school.

Well, since I left sixth form last year a few of my friends have our teachers on Facebook (since the teachers are active users of it) and talk to them from time to time on there about random things! It's so fun and refreshing to be able to speak to them without any restraints and we can strike up a conversation with them whenever :smile: (obviously nothing inappropriate, they are just teachers we have known for 7+ years)
Reply 10
Oh okay I get you - yeah sometimes that can happen.

I thought as much. Obviously it’s not particularly common, but I just presumed that it could.
Reply 11
Nope.
Hey,

So basically, what I was wondering is whether any of y’all have your teachers’ numbers, and whether you text them? Because, particularly at the ages of 18 and 19, students and teachers may have similar interests and could forge a legitimate friendship. Idk - I don’t, but I was wondering if it actually happens.

It's not a good thing. There was this buff teacher in my english class back during GCSEs, she gave her number to this russian kid. The russian kid spread her number to other kids (these guys were known to be slackers). The guys basically prank called and harassed her, she broke down crying in one lesson and just left with the head of english questioning and everyone was like:
Reply 13
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
It's not a good thing. There was this buff teacher in my english class back during GCSEs, she gave her number to this russian kid. The russian kid spread her number to other kids (these guys were known to be slackers). The guys basically prank called and harassed her, she broke down crying in one lesson and just left with the head of english questioning and everyone was like:

That’s obviously different. I mean, for a start, those students are still children in the eyes of the law. Secondly, teachers should never give their mobile numbers to students who are known to cause trouble that’s just asking for repercussions lol
Reply 14
Original post by lalaa64
Hey, I completely understand your question because I used to feel that way all the time in sixth form/college because you begin to have a more comfortable, adult relationship with your teachers that you'd wish you could be friends outside school.

Well, since I left sixth form last year a few of my friends have our teachers on Facebook (since the teachers are active users of it) and talk to them from time to time on there about random things! It's so fun and refreshing to be able to speak to them without any restraints and we can strike up a conversation with them whenever :smile: (obviously nothing inappropriate, they are just teachers we have known for 7+ years)

Exactly! At the end of the day, when both the teachers and students are adults, it’s easy to become genuine friends if there are similar interests :smile:

Obviously I don’t mean in a sexual way (well, once students have actually left college it’s a different matter)
Reply 15
Lol, I already said I didn’t. 😂 I’m just wondering if teachers and adult students can actually forge genuine lifelong friendships; I’d assume they could, because they’re both adults, and because there will obviously be overlaps in interests/hobbies between some students and teachers.

Simple answer. No. You can discuss subject related stuff through official email address, in person, etc. While you're studying? Still under their tutelage? 18-19 years old?

No. It doesn't matter that you're both adults. What matters is that it's supposed to be kept as a professional relationship. The teacher could end up getting accused of favouritism and if you are a decent student with decent grades even your grades could be called into question. All in all, it's far too much of a hastle to go through.

Discuss all you want through the official methods above but otherwise it could get very weird very fast. And if you don't think it's weird, your teacher will very likely think so. If not, then they are incapable of maintaining a professional relationship which is a very questionable trait for a teacher to have.
Reply 16
Original post by RBRo
Simple answer. No. You can discuss subject related stuff through official email address, in person, etc. While you're studying? Still under their tutelage? 18-19 years old?

No. It doesn't matter that you're both adults. What matters is that it's supposed to be kept as a professional relationship. The teacher could end up getting accused of favouritism and if you are a decent student with decent grades even your grades could be called into question. All in all, it's far too much of a hastle to go through.

Discuss all you want through the official methods above but otherwise it could get very weird very fast. And if you don't think it's weird, your teacher will very likely think so. If not, then they are incapable of maintaining a professional relationship which is a very questionable trait for a teacher to have.

I have to disagree with you there. Obviously, in coursework subjects (BTECs spring to mind) there should be no unfair advantages for particular students. However, where a teacher has no direct authority over a student’s final grade, I don’t see it as an issue.

If you’re an adult in the eyes of the law, you should be able to have adult, mature relationships with other adults. And yes, that extends to romantic relationships, once the student concerned has left their teacher’s class.
I don't text my teachers, but I do email them my homework and stuff.
That’s obviously different. I mean, for a start, those students are still children in the eyes of the law. Secondly, teachers should never give their mobile numbers to students who are known to cause trouble that’s just asking for repercussions lol

Lol but the kid she gave it to was one of them A* students, little did she know he had strong ties with the gamers and roadmen. :colone:

Reply 19
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Lol but the kid she gave it to was one of them A* students, little did she know he had strong ties with the gamers and roadmen. :colone:

Haha, true. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest