The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Work load, psychology

Hi, I am currently considering in accepting my offer for the bachelor of psychology at UCL and have a few Questions ( I'll just start with one). If there is any undergrad student who could share their experiences, that would really help me (and if you are a psychology student, that would be even more amazing!!).
Is studying at UCL really soooo extremely demanding? How high is the workload? How many hours do you spend studying a day/ week and how much free time do you have? Do you sometimes feel that it just is a little bit too much or do you think that it is just like at any other good university?

Thanks very much in advance!!
Reply 1
Original post by Lucy_Fi
Hi, I am currently considering in accepting my offer for the bachelor of psychology at UCL and have a few Questions ( I'll just start with one). If there is any undergrad student who could share their experiences, that would really help me (and if you are a psychology student, that would be even more amazing!!).
Is studying at UCL really soooo extremely demanding? How high is the workload? How many hours do you spend studying a day/ week and how much free time do you have? Do you sometimes feel that it just is a little bit too much or do you think that it is just like at any other good university?

Thanks very much in advance!!

Current Psychology student here. The workload is high but you area eased in quite will in that the firs term of the first year is a little slow. On average you probably spend 5 hours a day in normal term time with increases nearing deadlines/exams. This is not including extra reading that it prerequisite at university but the time spent on this varies per person. As I said I wouldn't worry at all now since everyone is in the same boat. Sorry I couldn't be more precise but your questions are very subjective haha.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hey PsychoD! I'm planning on firming my UCL offer for Psych, but I have not studied Psych in IB (A-Levels equivalent).

I was wondering if this would significantly increase my workload (i.e. having to catch up with prerequisite knowledge), or do the lectures assume all students have minimal prior knowledge in the subject...?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Original post by PsychoD
Current Psychology student here. The workload is high but you area eased in quite will in that the firs term of the first year is a little slow. On average you probably spend 5 hours a day in normal term time with increases nearing deadlines/exams. This is not including extra reading that it prerequisite at university but the time spent on this varies per person. As I said I wouldn't worry at all now since everyone is in the same boat. Sorry I couldn't be more precise but your questions are very subjective haha.
Reply 3
Hey there, I have not studied psychology yet, but I am pretty sure that they don't expect any prior knowledge at any university for Psych. Most of the students have not had Psych in high school and if so they have been taught different stuff in every high school since the field is so broad. (Plus I think they write on UCL's website that no prior knowledge is required from applicants)

Don't know if this helps
Reply 4
Original post by gnuelkhkicn
Hey PsychoD! I'm planning on firming my UCL offer for Psych, but I have not studied Psych in IB (A-Levels equivalent).

I was wondering if this would significantly increase my workload (i.e. having to catch up with prerequisite knowledge), or do the lectures assume all students have minimal prior knowledge in the subject...?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

In all honesty I don't think it would be a hindrance. Yes you may be behind on general knowledge but you will have other skills from your IB subjects that will help you out. Providing that you do the course readings and pay attention in lectures/are inquisitive to learn more you will certainly be on an even playing field. If your IB includes Biology, Maths or English you may even be ahead of some students.
Thanks to both of you!

As a matter of fact my IB includes bio maths and english ;D hopefully that's good news.
First year isn't too difficult, it really isn't. My advice, it's a full time job and treat it as such. Go to every lecture and revise the material within 24 hours, i recommend using the cornell revision method.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending