The Student Room Group

Do you like audiobooks?

I’ve always been fairly disinterested in audiobooks, but recently started listening on my commute to work, and am surprisingly quite enjoying them! Do you like audiobooks? Why/why not?
Reply 1
Never really tried them, to be honest. I suppose I like the idea of them, but for other people. I might give one a go at some point but I'm probably more likely to be playing this backlog of music I have :laugh:
Not as much as books to read, but I do indeed. It is a good way to relax by lying on the couch and listen to a story at the same time. :wink:
Reply 3
I’m an avid reader, but when my depression gets really bad I don’t have the concentration for it. Audio books really help me out, usually a calming voice reading and I can keep enjoying books while i’m not able to read. As a kid I use to love them too, on long car journeys. But those were on tapes borrowed from the library. :laugh:
Original post by cat_mac
I’m an avid reader, but when my depression gets really bad I don’t have the concentration for it. Audio books really help me out, usually a calming voice reading and I can keep enjoying books while i’m not able to read. As a kid I use to love them too, on long car journeys. But those were on tapes borrowed from the library. :laugh:

So, you would everyone recommend to listen to audio books to bring depression down? if so, I should give that a try. Maybe it is a good therapy by msyself.
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto
So, you would everyone recommend to listen to audio books to bring depression down? if so, I should give that a try. Maybe it is a good therapy by msyself.

I wouldn’t go that far, but my experience is that it’s very calming. Probably from being read to by parents as a child it’s hardwired into us that hearing a story is settling down time. It’s a good distraction for me when my brain is being a d*ck.
Original post by shadowdweller
I’ve always been fairly disinterested in audiobooks, but recently started listening on my commute to work, and am surprisingly quite enjoying them! Do you like audiobooks? Why/why not?

I don't like them. Prefer a good paper book.
Original post by cat_mac
I wouldn’t go that far, but my experience is that it’s very calming. Probably from being read to by parents as a child it’s hardwired into us that hearing a story is settling down time. It’s a good distraction for me when my brain is being a d*ck.

If so, I will test it for myself. Maybe it works as good as in my case. I am just looking for a good distraction for depression right now.
Personally, I prefer actually reading books, sometimes they can be a little slow and I'll lose interest when someone is reading a book out. However, they can be useful in some situations.
Original post by WestDragon
Personally, I prefer actually reading books, sometimes they can be a little slow and I'll lose interest when someone is reading a book out. However, they can be useful in some situations.

This. Reading is more enjoyable to spend time for yourself. But listening is nice when you wish to relax.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending