The Student Room Group

hhjljljkjhkjhkjh

hgjhhhkhj
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The first one. I've been the second and it was no fun. I'm a hybrid of the two these days :biggrin:
I'm already quite clever, defininitely not the most and I would never go around saying I was clever, I have 1 or 2 friends and my social skills don't exist so I think I already made a choice. I would never want to be a popular kid
Original post by Shshsjakk
Would you rather be the most popular person in your school and have very good social skills but also be the dumbest person in your school, or be the most clever person in your school but have no friends and poor social skills?

I'd take being clever any day.
Reply 4
Popular for sure. Intelligence is worth nothing if you’re miserable and isolated, and with poor social skills you’d struggle in a work environment. I’d much rather be happy, confident, well liked and dumb!
Reply 5
Would you rather be the most popular person in your school and have very good social skills but also be the dumbest person in your school, or be the most clever person in your school but have no friends and poor social skills?

defo most clever...

i swear to christ pal u seem to pop up in every thread i peruse
def the most intelligent, social skills as name suggest is a skill therefore you can sharpen the arsenal and have very good social skills and make friends.
being dumb and popular might give u that self esteem boost but once done with education you are screwed
clever - dont need popularity at all
Im both so lucky for me I dont need to make that choice
I am not popular at all (I have 2 friends ffs). I am fairly clever, but not very clever. In my GCSEs, I want 6 7s, 1 6, 1 5, 1 8, 1 9 and an A in further maths.
I would choose clever because I don't like being around people...
Both.

I love attention but intelligence is important in just about everything.
(edited 6 years ago)

EDIT: Most people are saying they would pick being clever. What if either option you pick you will still have low salary when your older and be unsatisfied with your career.

In a weird way, being clever meant I had a bigger friendship group, though they weren’t smart at all! It’s weird because we all clicked , and though I initially expected them to ask me for assignment answers, 7 years down the line from year 7 to year 13, a brotherhood broke down as we split for uni.

Coming back to the question, in a situation where I’m clever but remain poorly paid, I’d rather be the popular guy
Original post by cat_mac
Popular for sure. Intelligence is worth nothing if you’re miserable and isolated, and with poor social skills you’d struggle in a work environment. I’d much rather be happy, confident, well liked and dumb!

Not being popular =/= miserable and isolated.

I wonder if you'd enjoy work as much if you were stuck in the same position for 20 years, as your low intelligence meant you were never considered for promotion. In such a scenario, you might be the one struggling in a work environment.
Original post by cat_mac

You can be the most popular person ever and if you're dumb enough that you don't have a decent job you're going not going to be happy for long.
Original post by Notoriety
Not being popular =/= miserable and isolated.

I wonder if you'd enjoy work as much if you were stuck in the same position for 20 years, as your low intelligence meant you were never considered for promotion. In such a scenario, you might be the one struggling in a work environment.

Original post by Miss Maddie
You can be the most popular person ever and if you're dumb enough that you don't have a decent job you're going not going to be happy for long.

tbf OP did say your salary is the same in either scenario (guessing that includes promotions)
Original post by Got Milk
Im both so lucky for me I dont need to make that choice

to the nearest 15 how many A*s did you get at GCSE??
Clever

Clever leads to amazing career opportunities and can lead to popularity (see Elon Musk)
but popularity doesn't lead to amazing career opportunities. In fact it finishes as soon as school is over
Original post by johnny.snow
tbf OP did say your salary is the same in either scenario (guessing that includes promotions)

OP added that 40 mins ago.

Not that it's important: it amounts to "if you remove some of the positive traits associated with being clever, would you rather be clever or popular". An artificial question which does not deserve much of a response.
Original post by Notoriety
OP added that 40 mins ago.

Not that it's important: it amounts to "if you remove some of the positive traits associated with being clever, would you rather be clever or popular". An artificial question which does not deserve much of a response.

true

i'd still pick smarts though - even at the same salary

Quick Reply

Latest