qwerrt1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got rejected by UCL psychology, but I received an offer from UCL psychology with education. What is the difference between these two? What's the workload of psychology with education? Is it manageable? The condition is to get 38 + 18 points in HLs. If I got 38 but did not get 18 points in my HLs, does that mean I'll miss the offer?

Thanks everyone!
tripplea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by qwerrt1234)
I got rejected by UCL psychology, but I received an offer from UCL psychology with education. What is the difference between these two? What's the workload of psychology with education? Is it manageable? The condition is to get 38 18 points in HLs. If I got 38 but did not get 18 points in my HLs, does that mean I'll miss the offer?

Thanks everyone!
Hey! I’ve got an offer to do Psychology with Education and I’ve made UCL my insurance.

It’s like a joint honours degree so you do the same core psychology modules as the straight psych course but the difference is that the optional modules are only from the education department which is run by the IoE (which by the way is the no1 in education in the world for 5 consecutive years running now)

It’s still a BPS accredited degree so if you wanted to persue a career as a psychologist later on you could still be able to do so.

There’s a lot of application of psychological theory to an educational setting.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...cation-ba-bsc/
PsychoD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is not entirely true. The Psychology with education/language science degrees and not intertwined with the core BSc psychology. Overall approx 1/5 modules will be shared which is not a significant enough amount to warrant studying education if you have no interest in it. You can see by looking at the modules online that barely any are shared. I do Psychology and have never really met or seen language/education students. Make sure that you are really invested in this side of things.

(Original post by tripplea)
Hey! I’ve got an offer to do Psychology with Education and I’ve made UCL my insurance.

It’s like a joint honours degree so you do the same core psychology modules as the straight psych course but the difference is that the optional modules are only from the education department which is run by the IoE (which by the way is the no1 in education in the world for 5 consecutive years running now)

It’s still a BPS accredited degree so if you wanted to persue a career as a psychologist later on you could still be able to do so.

tripplea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PsychoD)
This is not entirely true. The Psychology with education/language science degrees and not intertwined with the core BSc psychology. Overall approx 1/5 modules will be shared which is not a significant enough amount to warrant studying education if you have no interest in it.

That’s my point - most of the course is psychology hence why it’s a BPS accredited degree. All BPS accredited degrees have to cover the same core topics.

Btw are you a psych student at UCL?
PsychoD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s my point - most of the course is psychology hence why it’s a BPS accredited degree. All BPS accredited degrees have to cover the same core topics.

Btw are you a psych student at UCL?
I am and it may be BPS accredited but I can assure you barely any of the modules are shared with the main Psychology stream. This is why I say you must really enjoy the secondary aspect (i.e education) or you won't enjoy the degree that much.
tripplea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am and it may be BPS accredited but I can assure you barely any of the modules are shared with the main Psychology stream. This is why I say you must really enjoy the secondary aspect (i.e education) or you won't enjoy the degree that much.
Ok - but I was told by the course director at the offer holder day that the psychology modules are the same but you don’t share any of the psychology modules with students doing straight psychology.
PsychoD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok - but I was told by the course director at the offer holder day that the psychology modules are the same but you don’t share any of the psychology modules with students doing straight psychology.
I've just been looking at the website and it confirms that very few of the modules are shared and they would never run the same module twice for two different sets of students. Id you compare the modules for the straight Psychology BSc and the Psych with education/language you can see this. Am I right in thinking you have no interest in education?
tripplea
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've just been looking at the website and it confirms that very few of the modules are shared and they would never run the same module twice for two different sets of students. Id you compare the modules for the straight Psychology BSc and the Psych with education/language you can see this. Am I right in thinking you have no interest in education?
No I am interested in Education but I’m not sure if the OP is. I just want a BPS accredited degree but the psych with education at UCL appealed greatly to me.
qwerrt1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As long as it's accredited by the BPS, then I should be fine right? Coz I'm planning to take a master degree in psychology. Education is fine for me but I'm not sure if I graduated from the "psych with ed" course, r they gonna take me as a psych student in master..
PsychoD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your degree would be a BSc in Psychology with education which wouldn't impede Masters applications. That being said the psychology in the degree will not be broad like the main psychology stream. Instead it will involve applications of Psychology to education meaning that the teaching is not as broad (as one would expect). I don't understand why UCL offers places for the Psych with language/education to people who are rejected from the main stream as they have no knowledge of whether you would actually enjoy learning the other half of the degree.

(Original post by qwerrt1234)
As long as it's accredited by the BPS, then I should be fine right? Coz I'm planning to take a master degree in psychology. Education is fine for me but I'm not sure if I graduated from the "psych with ed" course, r they gonna take me as a psych student in master..
Rimjim
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Hi, been trying to find a thread of people doing education with Psychology. I want to this course at uni and need tips regarding personal statements. I want to know what kind of things you should discuss in a Education with psychology PS and how to discuss them together.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (253)
60.53%
No (86)
20.57%
Not sure (79)
18.9%

Watched Threads