This discussion is closed.
Ceo_11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all! Has anyone ever done the Gotoco Teaching in China program? It seems too good to be true as it provides free and funded TEFL training but I can’t find any proper reviews online which automatically makes me suspicious! However it was promoted at my university and I’m assuming that they wouldn’t promote a company that wasn’t legit! Just wanted to know if anyone had worked with the company and if so, what was your experience like? Tia x
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Teacher training, teaching and education jobs
AFAIK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Heya! I took part with a group of students from my university (Oxford) last summer. It was a great experience and completely legit - the TEFL has proved very useful in picking up nicely paid tutoring jobs in Oxford aswell. I remember I also thought it sounded too good to be true, actually it is 'free' because they make the school cover the training and accommodation as part of a cultural exchange scheme. When we were there Gotoco sent a camera crew to our school, there is a video on youtube that shows you more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCRbae-hXU

Have fun if you do take part!

Jx
Carala
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Tia, I participated last year at one of their projects in the south of China. It was so much fun - probably the best summer of my life so far! I heard about the opportunity at my university's freshers fair at the beginning of the year and thought it sounded interesting, so I decided to apply. I went alone which was very scary at the beginning (my parents told me I was crazy and tried to convince me not to go haha) but the other participants at my camp were amazing and I had a lot of fun with them. The Gotoco team was also very helpful. Definitely a legit thing - do apply! Caroline
millymoo112
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Caroline,my daughter has applied to do this next year. I'm just looking at the T&Cs and wondered if you would mind giving me an idea of what you had to pay towards this that wasn't covered by GOTOCO. I just want to get an idea of what costs are involved. many thanks Dawn
millymoo112
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Caroline,my daughter has applied to do this next year. I'm just looking at the T&Cs and wondered if you would mind giving me an idea of what you had to pay towards this that wasn't covered by GOTOCO. I just want to get an idea of what costs are involved. many thanks Dawn
millymoo112
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
[QUOTE=AFAIK;76999054]Heya! I took part with a group of students from my university (Oxford) last summer. It was a great experience and completely legit - the TEFL has proved very useful in picking up nicely paid tutoring jobs in Oxford aswell. I remember I also thought it sounded too good to be true, actually it is 'free' because they make the school cover the training and accommodation as part of a cultural exchange scheme. When we were there Gotoco sent a camera crew to our school, there is a video on youtube that shows you more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCRbae-hXU

Hi J, my daughter is looking to do this next year. Would you say that even if she isn't training to be a teacher this would still be a good thing to do? I'm a bit worried that the expectation from the school she goes to will be expecting her to teach english with no formal qualfication or experience and may feel out of her depth. Thanks Dawn
AFAIK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Heya - while a few people on our team wanted to be teachers, most of us were excited to have a chance to explore China and do a kinda 'gap year' style experience in our summer vacation. For me it was more about travel and cultural exploration than teaching practice, but it is what you make of it too. The schools hosts were really very nice and hospitable, and you learn alot very quickly. I had a great time and am now planning to go back with them in 2019, so I do recommend it. She will have lots of fun, we all did.
jeminite
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Carala)
Hi Tia, I participated last year at one of their projects in the south of China. It was so much fun - probably the best summer of my life so far! I heard about the opportunity at my university's freshers fair at the beginning of the year and thought it sounded interesting, so I decided to apply. I went alone which was very scary at the beginning (my parents told me I was crazy and tried to convince me not to go haha) but the other participants at my camp were amazing and I had a lot of fun with them. The Gotoco team was also very helpful. Definitely a legit thing - do apply! Caroline
Hey, I really want to participate on this programme but my parents are really against it because my mum saw one review saying it was dangerous and they were forced to work extremely long work hours. I would be grateful if you could answer a few questions How much support did you have while in China from gotoco, and did you feel safe? What were the work hours like and where was your accommodation? Thank you!
cherrypiez
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jeminite)
Hey, I really want to participate on this programme but my parents are really against it because my mum saw one review saying it was dangerous and they were forced to work extremely long work hours. I would be grateful if you could answer a few questions How much support did you have while in China from gotoco, and did you feel safe? What were the work hours like and where was your accommodation? Thank you!
Hi! I'm planning on participating this year! I've already applied and am waiting to get assigned a placement. I've read many reviews online and although there were 1 or 2 negative reviews, most of them were really positive. If you're still planning to apply, please let me know! I haven't met anyone applying yet so it would be nice to chat online with someone who's going too.
hownwbrowncow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone! I've done my application for this but am so hesitant about handing over the deposit bc although it sounds amazin,g it almost doesn't seem real.... Any advice?
JTR__
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi hownwbrowncow,

Whilst I've not applied for this programme, they did advertise at one of the refresher fayres my university puts on. I talked to them there and personally felt like they were a legit firm. In addition, a student newspaper (The Oxford Student) did a profile on them this year: https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/0...al-enterprise/

That's just my opinion though! If you are unsure please make sure to do a lot of research until you are confident. Best of luck!
(Original post by hownwbrowncow)
Hi everyone! I've done my application for this but am so hesitant about handing over the deposit bc although it sounds amazin,g it almost doesn't seem real.... Any advice?
cherrypiez
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!!! I've applied too! Super excited. Have you heard back from them yet?
(Original post by hownwbrowncow)
jeminite
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, unfortunately I didn't apply as my parents were concerned since it would be my first time solo travelling. I'm sure it will be fine for you, it looks like such an amazing experience. I'm thinking about doing it next year when I'm more experienced in solo travel. Let me know how it goes!
(Original post by cherrypiez)
Hi! I'm planning on participating this year! I've already applied and am waiting to get assigned a placement. I've read many reviews online and although there were 1 or 2 negative reviews, most of them were really positive. If you're still planning to apply, please let me know! I haven't met anyone applying yet so it would be nice to chat online with someone who's going too.
Joshd12345
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cherrypiez)
Hi!!! I've applied too! Super excited. Have you heard back from them yet?
Hey I’ve also applied, the last thing I did was the video recording for which I had to upload online. I have not heard back about any confirmed destination/dates. Have you?
Marbo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi. I know there are a lot of very positive reviews above, but it really depends where you're placed. You are responsible for flights and insurance and any costs afterwards, possibly including the cost of travel to Yangshuo, all of which may cost over £1000. I was placed with an American company in Beijing, and as soon as I got there I realised that the camp I was 'volunteering' on was actually a sports camp for very privileged, rich children who had all paid through the nose to be there. Other people on the camp had come from a different organisation and had their flights and insurance paid for, and others were actually being paid. We were forced to work 24 hours a day 6 days a week, with less than 24 hours off on the seventh day. Originally, we were made to pay our own way to organise and go on any excursions, and none of the promised cultural excursions or lessons were provided. After a lot of complaining and arguments we got a couple of paid excursions, and our travel to Yangshuo subsidised, but the camp organisers had absolutely no respect for us and clearly saw us just as free labour. Most people stayed to the end because they couldn't afford to leave and so they could at least get the TEFL, but I am now trying to apply for jobs with it an honestly it's pretty useless for most UK based summer camps, who want something more legit. We also didn't get any experience or training in teaching English, and I'm honestly pretty surprised by this thread because everyone I've spoken to had a pretty awful time. It really does depend who you're placed with, as Gotoco is just a middle man, and they make their money by placing some people with big international companies who pay them in exchange for free labour. They justify it by placing other people with genuine projects who really do need volunteers. In conclusion, I wouldn't recommend it or do it again. My advice would be to know your worth and even if you feel underqualified realise that you always deserve to be paid for your work, unless you are volunteering for a genuine charitable cause. If you decide to do it make sure you have enough money that you can leave early if you don't like the camp. But honestly, I'd recommend organising any placement direct with a camp and not through a middle man like Gotoco, that way you know exactly what you're getting into, and there's no way they can shift the blame. There are so many organisations and individuals offering to pay flights, insurance and an allowance as well as providing a TEFL and full board, definitely look into au pairing as well. Best of luck to anyone applying and I hope you have a better time than I did.

Edit: Gotoco has a campus ambassador role and they reward anyone who can get 10 new applicants with free flights, so be wary of positive reviews, particularly on campus.
Last edited by Marbo; 2 years ago
Cr stark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi ya. I'm going to China through the gotoco program in 10 days and I've been placed at a camp. Do you have any recommendations on anything I can do to prepere my self before going? Is learning some mandarin nessesary?
(Original post by Ceo_11)
Hi all! Has anyone ever done the Gotoco Teaching in China program? It seems too good to be true as it provides free and funded TEFL training but I can’t find any proper reviews online which automatically makes me suspicious! However it was promoted at my university and I’m assuming that they wouldn’t promote a company that wasn’t legit! Just wanted to know if anyone had worked with the company and if so, what was your experience like? Tia x
I
(Original post by AFAIK)
Heya! I took part with a group of students from my university (Oxford) last summer. It was a great experience and completely legit - the TEFL has proved very useful in picking up nicely paid tutoring jobs in Oxford aswell. I remember I also thought it sounded too good to be true, actually it is 'free' because they make the school cover the training and accommodation as part of a cultural exchange scheme. When we were there Gotoco sent a camera crew to our school, there is a video on youtube that shows you more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCRbae-hXU

Jx
Cr stark
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi ya. I'm going to China through the gotoco program in 10 days and I've been placed at a camp. Do you have any recommendations on anything I can do to prepere my self before going? Is learning some mandarin nessesary?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Guys, if anyone is offering a TEFL program in China, it's not legitimate and likely illegal as there are no visas which allow for unpaid work, and no one is going to sponsor you for a Z visa for the summer, please don't bother with it.

If you want a TEFL then the only legitimate option is a CELTA, it'll cost a bit of money but the alternatives are literally a waste of paper or ticking a box so that dodgy schools can accept you. It'll cost you money, but the advantages are better than all of the scams around. Pretty sure there are some programs in Bangkok for about £1k which includes accommodation, so not even that expensive.
Popeyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you end up going?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.99%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.13%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
10.97%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.36%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.83%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.72%

Watched Threads