ab1471
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi

Ive heard that as a Deloitte graduate you wont get a pay rise in the first 3 years? Is this true, how about bonuses? Will you get any of these and if so whats an average amount for tax outside London? Does everyone in your year get the same or does it depend on how good you are?

Also do Deloitte give you company cars at any point, i know you dont to start with, was just wondering how high you have to be to start getting things like company cars, if at all?
Sagittarius
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
bean counters get paid peanuts, seriously. for the amount of hard work and effort required studying for professional qualifications on top of working full time the pay really isn't worthwhile. Even once you qualify after three years of hard work your pay only goes up to around £45k (and that's at a big 4 firm). bonuses are also negligible. in addition the work (audit and tax) is mind numbingly dull (i know this is a subjective opinion but i challenge you to find me one person who finds audit and/or tax genuinely interesting and challenging). i'm sure you don't get a company car and even if you did it probably would be something crap like a volvo.
Skeve
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I find auditing extremely interesting, every day going into the offices of some massive headquarters of a multi-billion pound company to go through their books and interviewing some very important employees, and checking over all sorts of systems. Especially going through the computer systems which is a specific interest of mine. Great stuff.
davemarkey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't understand why people don't realise that studying for the ACA exams is adding to your human capital. You get a good salary for the first 3 years, and you then have the ACA qualification and then your salary goes up to over £40k!

Sure, this is nothing like what you could earn in an IB, but I'd rather work at Deloitte or any Big4 compared to an IB, where I would have no life at work or outside work!
mendelssohn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Skeve)
I find auditing extremely interesting, every day going into the offices of some massive headquarters of a multi-billion pound company to go through their books and interviewing some very important employees, and checking over all sorts of systems. Especially going through the computer systems which is a specific interest of mine. Great stuff.
You must be brainwashed...there is no possible way you can be serious about what you just wrote...it's ticking boxes for gods sake, how interesting can it really be.
mendelssohn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by davemarkey)
I don't understand why people don't realise that studying for the ACA exams is adding to your human capital. You get a good salary for the first 3 years, and you then have the ACA qualification and then your salary goes up to over £40k!

Sure, this is nothing like what you could earn in an IB, but I'd rather work at Deloitte or any Big4 compared to an IB, where I would have no life at work or outside work!
salary of 45k after three years work is absolutely pathetic. especially in london. you should certainly not be proud of earning 45k after three years, virtually every other graduate will be earning more in three years time than that.
Raiden_2007
Report 12 years ago
it is not salary always...think about a big4 name on your CV which would take you literally any where you want...I know auditing/tax could be very dull and hard work..however, I would say that this hard work pays off in the future...seriously it does...try to see the bigger picture...if you can't it would be hard for you to pass ACA...
sarah_88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mendelssohn)
salary of 45k after three years work is absolutely pathetic. especially in london. you should certainly not be proud of earning 45k after three years, virtually every other graduate will be earning more in three years time than that.
Does anyone share your rude obnoxious opinions?? £45k a year for a 24yr old graduate is good! And just because you feel that working in auditing is boring, not everyone agrees!!
ThunderBolt
Report 12 years ago
ACA qualification compensates for less pay...all you IB worshipers will just be trading shares of the companies us ACA's run in the future....so im not surprised there is all this tension.....IB Posters = Big Heads + Big Mouths and tbh...bored of it!
sarah_88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well said!
comic_book_guy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ab1471)
Hi

Ive heard that as a Deloitte graduate you wont get a pay rise in the first 3 years? Is this true, how about bonuses? Will you get any of these and if so whats an average amount for tax outside London? Does everyone in your year get the same or does it depend on how good you are?

Also do Deloitte give you company cars at any point, i know you dont to start with, was just wondering how high you have to be to start getting things like company cars, if at all?
Pay rise is annual, I think its every January plus whatever review of industry standards in July or something like that.

I was told its at KPMG where you dont get a pay rise til after you qualify but youre best off waiting for someone from there to correct me/confirm.

There are bonuses, called 'outstanding contribution awards' which I think you are nominated for by any other colleagues and they are issued quarterly.

Everyone of a certain grade gets the same, and for the first 4 years it is the same for everyone in your year....its the way the promotion system works....making the transition from assistant manager to manager isnt automatic like in prior years though so from here is where it starts to separate a bit.

Company cars start from manager grade, not sure what kinds of car they give.

Hope that helps
np_desi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mendelssohn)
I disagree! £35k or so is even good after 3 years. [unless u are referring to grads from only the top 10 unis or so]. Some even find it hard to get a job at all! They would happily take £25k in their 3rd year I imagine!!!
England Captain
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah i know, isn't £45K really good? especially after just only 3 years?
Wstroud
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
bean counters get paid peanuts, seriously. for the amount of hard work and effort required studying for professional qualifications on top of working full time the pay really isn't worthwhile. Even once you qualify after three years of hard work your pay only goes up to around £45k (and that's at a big 4 firm). bonuses are also negligible. in addition the work (audit and tax) is mind numbingly dull (i know this is a subjective opinion but i challenge you to find me one person who finds audit and/or tax genuinely interesting and challenging). i'm sure you don't get a company car and even if you did it probably would be something crap like a volvo.
Then don't be one - Big 4 firms pay significantly more than most graduate jobs, 45k is a lot of money at the age of 25. Don't say things that you simply cannot back up.

After you qualify, you can get a company car and you get to choose what it is going to be - things vary from stuff like fords to porsches and are taken out of your benefits allowance for the year.
ElemenT'
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
company porsche. Sounds good to me :P

I would be happy with a BMW/Audi.

Well said ThunderBolt!
sg231
Report 12 years ago
lol - seriously guys, why is there so much tension between us ACA's and them IB's?! having said that, they always seem to come on to the A&F forum and start knocking audit/tax back and how cr*p 45k after 3 years is (by the way, please get some perspective, there is a world outside London/the UK - where 45k is more than enough.)

perhaps why they come on here is because they truly have no work/life balance and resent the fact we do! at the end of the day it comes down to peoples perogatives, if you want to give up your life and be well compensated for that then thats fine, but if you actually have some interests outside finance/greed, then again, thats also fine
Delvardus
Report 12 years ago
I find some of these comments about the salaries amazing!

£45k is a superb wage for the age that you will be on qualification (ie 24/25)

outside london, that surely should be more money than you can spend, especially seeings as you have so little free time to spend it on!

I seriously think some people on this board need to get some perspective
np_desi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Delvardus)
I find some of these comments about the salaries amazing!

£45k is a superb wage for the age that you will be on qualification (ie 24/25)

outside london, that surely should be more money than you can spend, especially seeings as you have so little free time to spend it on!

I seriously think some people on this board need to get some perspective
£45k in my opinion is Very good too!

Just unfortunate I couldn't get into Audit for a summer internship I got into Tech in a IB, but I doubt it will pay £45k after 3 years. Maybe I should apply next year for Audit again [grad job this time] and try my luck?:confused:
t_ucd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by np_desi)
Maybe I should apply next year for Audit again [grad job this time] and try my luck?:confused:
Definitely apply again if you want to - it seems like the competition for internships is far tougher than for grad jobs, plus you'll have more experience at that stage.
np_desi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by t_ucd)
Definitely apply again if you want to - it seems like the competition for internships is far tougher than for grad jobs, plus you'll have more experience at that stage.
Irrelevant experience though :confused:

My Big 4 internship applications:

PwC- failed after first interview
Deloitte- got back to me after 3 months of first telling me I should attend an AC, and as I accepted ML by then, I didn't go to the AC
KPMG- Didn't even pass the online tests
EY- Failed AC
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (107)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (112)
16.28%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
9.59%
Isolating with family (46)
6.69%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (27)
3.92%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (59)
8.58%
Loneliness (71)
10.32%
Financial worries (27)
3.92%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (62)
9.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (65)
9.45%

Watched Threads