username3867674
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm 37 and hold offers for Psychology from both UEA and Durham, and looking for as much insight as I can before deciding on firm choice. Anything to do with specific information relevant to mature students (accommodation for one), and the teaching, opportunities, networks, prospects, work placements, course structure and content, delivery, support, etc... So pretty much an exhaustive account please!

My quick (current) pro/con list;
Durham
Pros -
-Higher ranking (6th on CUG) / more prestige / Russell Group (hoping to do Masters at Oxbridge or in states)
-Closer to my family (I currently live in Yorkshire)
-Already know/like the city
-College system (I like this uber tradition)
Cons -
-Silver award for teaching
-No work placement
-Not yet visited the University (am doing in the coming weeks) ------ so don't know how I 'feel' about the department/tutors/etc, or had the chance to ask important questions face-to-face.

UEA
Pros -
-Campus environment (would probably prefer this)
-Course modules slightly closer aligned with what I'd like
-Work placement year
-Gold award for teaching
Cons -
-Much further from family/friends
-No mature-specific accommodation
-Lower ranked (31st on CUG)
-Didn't feel like I'd really want to live in Norwich (sorry, Norwich...)

It's a tough call, I can see that my pros for Durham look like lifestyle and perception, whilst UEA looks like the course/institute. This may well balance out when I've visited Durham, but for the time being this is all I have to offer.

Thank you for your help :-)
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Durham, i'm 33, don't leave me amongst children. Although, i'm a 2nd year transfer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (547)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (664)
41.22%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.3%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed