Rony9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please can anyone advise me as I have completed my BA and MA both from UK and stayed there almost 6 years( never stayed single day illegally) am eligible to do a 2nd masters. In addition, after completed my MA from the UK, I comeback to my own country and doing good Job for last one year.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You would have to prove progression - that the new degree was at a higher level than your MA, ie an MPhil/MRes/PhD.
'Another MA' is not progression.
Mitoke
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're outside of the UK, the academic progression rule does not apply to you
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mitoke)
If you're outside of the UK, the academic progression rule does not apply to you
Only if the original degree was not studied in the UK. Being physically outside the UK right now makes no difference at all.
Mitoke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Only if the original degree was not studied in the UK. Being physically outside the UK right now makes no difference at all.
That is not true. I've received a 2nd visa simply based on this guideline. The university actually had me sign a waiver that stated they were issuing me a CAS on the basis that I was applying outside of the UK because otherwise I would be subjected to the Academic Progression rule.

Per the UKVI Tier 4 Guidance:

Exemptions

You do not need to show academic progression if:
  • you are a Tier 4 (Child) Student;
  • you are making a Tier 4 (General) application from overseas;

returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because having been a CHILD student (ie. A levels or equivalent) and then applying for a Uni level Tier 4 is effectively 'progression'.

It isnt that you are applying from outside the UK that matters - its the fact that this is the first degree you have attempted in the UK and (rightly) Border Control dont care what you have done in between (ie. you were overseas so if you did any form of Uni level study there it doesnt count).

Your Uni doesnt understand the regulations.

If you are applying for a second Tier 4 visa for a second UK degree at the same level (ie. postgrad MSc Politics followed by postgrad MA English as an example) it will either be refused or you will be stopped/turned around when you arrive at a British airport (see Paragraph 63 and 74 of the regulations - this makes it quite clear).
Mitoke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Again, I’ve gotten a second tier 4 and had it granted. I was not stopped at the border.
Mitoke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And
(Original post by Mitoke)
That is not true. I've received a 2nd visa simply based on this guideline. The university actually had me sign a waiver that stated they were issuing me a CAS on the basis that I was applying outside of the UK because otherwise I would be subjected to the Academic Progression rule.

Per the UKVI Tier 4 Guidance:

Exemptions

You do not need to show academic progression if:
  • you are making a Tier 4 (General) application from overseas;

This is from the UKVI guidance. Maybe you’re the one who doesn’t understand the guidance.
Yamtek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a MSc degree in International Risk Management and Finance from a UK university and I am gonna do another MSc in International Tax law I will be applying for a visa next week. Will this be a problem . Coz my masters field are different
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only if the University can show that this is a more 'advanced' course than the first postgrad course you did, or that it entitles you to some sort of professional status (ie. doing a qualifying Law degree after another subject). Talk to the University about this - now.
Mitoke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your university won’t give you a CAS if you don’t meet academic progression/aren’t exempted from it.
Yousafa3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am doing masters in construction management but want to change field can I apply for another course and take pgd for this course can I get a visa then. Please if you could enlighten.
StarQuil
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I did an Mlitt in the UK and am looking at a second degree in my field that will give me a more scientific basis. (My field is in Archaeology. The first degree was more theoretical and knowledge based, the second degree would be a MSc in Forensic Archaeology which has a more scientific and lab based application). Is MLitt-MSc likely to be considered as academic progression (both are taught courses)? I'm still waiting to hear back from the university but wanted to get started on the application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.02%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (204)
58.45%
No (124)
35.53%

Watched Threads