Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i left my course during the first term of my second year in 2015. I am now looking to go back to university to study a different course. Will I be able to get full funding from student finance to start a new course at the same university in this situation?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Tomclem1)
    i left my course during the first term of my second year in 2015. I am now looking to go back to university to study a different course. Will I be able to get full funding from student finance to start a new course at the same university in this situation?
    Hi Tomclem1,

We do take into account your previous study when calculating your future support unless it is an exception course.

You are entitled to the length of your new course plus we add an additional year of support.

From that figure we deduct the number of years of previous study that you have had.

That means if you have had two years previous study and start a new course from year one, then you would be entitled to a Maintenance Loan and DSA in year one and full support for the remainder of the course.

An additional year of support can be awarded if you withdrew from your previous course due to mitigating circumstances.

If that is the case once you make your application, you would send in evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons ( CPR) along with a cover letter and your customer reference number.

This would then be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis, if accepted they can award an additional year of support. This would give you full support for the length of your new course.

Can I ask what is the course that you are looking to do ?

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona

Thanks for the info.

The course I am looking to do is Illustration. I dropped out of product design in 2015. This was as the start of my second year, so would this still could as a year of study?

Also, what’s is DSA? And would student finance cover the tuition fee for my new course as well?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona

Thanks for the info.

The course I am looking to do is Illustration. I dropped out of product design in 2015. This was as the start of my second year, so would this still could as a year of study?

Also, what’s is DSA? And would student finance cover the tuition fee for my new course as well?

Hi Tom,

Your previous study is taken into account even if you attended for only one term, it counts as one year.

That means for assessment purposes we would use two years previous study in the calculation.

If you start at year one of a new course, you will be eligible for a Maintenance Loan and Disability Students allowance if you have a disability or learning difficulty.

You will not receive the Tuition Fee Loan in year one, unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) and it is accepted.

Alternatively if you could start at year two of the new course, you would have full support including the Tuition Fee.

The same applies if you have to repeat any year in the future, without CPR, you would receive a Maintenance Loan only and DSA if applicable.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Tom,

Your previous study is taken into account even if you attended for only one term, it counts as one year.

That means for assessment purposes we would use two years previous study in the calculation.

If you start at year one of a new course, you will be eligible for a Maintenance Loan and Disability Students allowance if you have a disability or learning difficulty.

You will not receive the Tuition Fee Loan in year one, unless you can provide evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) and it is accepted.

Alternatively if you could start at year two of the new course, you would have full support including the Tuition Fee.

The same applies if you have to repeat any year in the future, without CPR, you would receive a Maintenance Loan only and DSA if applicable.

Thanks Rona
    Hi Rona,

Thanks for the info. I should be able to get CPR because I had mental health issues during my time at uni, which ultimately led to me leaving the course. Would a doctors note be sufficient evidence?

If CPR is not approved by student finance, I would not be able to afford the first year tuition fee, so in the worst case scenario, what are other options for financial help for this?

Thanks, Tom.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona,

Thanks for the info. I should be able to get CPR because I had mental health issues during my time at uni, which ultimately led to me leaving the course. Would a doctors note be sufficient evidence?

If CPR is not approved by student finance, I would not be able to afford the first year tuition fee, so in the worst case scenario, what are other options for financial help for this?

Thanks, Tom.
    Hi Tom,

With CPR, it's reviewed on a case by case basis so I wouldn't be able to give a definite answer on what would be guaranteed to be accepted. As a guideline, I can advise that the evidence must confirm what the situation was, when it occurred and how it affected your studies. If evidence from the doctor does confirm all this then it can be accepted, however, if not, we will let you know what information was missing and you can obtain further evidence if possible which can be reviewed along with it.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be the best person to advise on other sources of funding, I'd recommend contacting the University as they may be able to give you advice on this or even point you in the right direction.

Best wishes,

John.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona,

Thanks, Tom.
    We appreciate that students sometimes cannot continue with a course due to compelling personal reasons, health reasons being one of them.

The assessors need to see evidence of this.

A letter, signed and dated, written by a health professional on headed paper would be sufficient, explaining what happened, when it happened and how it affected your studies.

It needs to detail what the health issues were, how they affected your studies and the reason that you could not continue on the course.

The letter needs to be specific, relating to the academic year concerned.

You can send more than one piece of evidence to support your case, for example you could send supporting letter written by a student advisor.

It will be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor.

If for any reason not accepted, you would receive a Maintenance and DSA if applicable.

Alternatively you could enter a new course at year two.

Thanks Rona

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.