What is the likelilhood a moderator will save my EPQ grade?

Watch this thread
PuerilePupil
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi TSR,
I'll keep this short as I can, my EPQ supervisor is known to be not the most helpful around the school. The only other subject she is licensed to teach is catering, not slamming catering just contextual on her specialities, I have been using my friend's EPQ from two years before (which got an A*) to use for reference for the structure and conduct. However, when I started EPQ the supervisor gave me a grade B to look at as that was the highest grade that had been achieved in the school so far, in her tenure, and to aim for a B. I know it's subjective the essay she gave me is not great and I assume is a low B. However after getting advice from multiple other people who got A* and an EPQ tutor most say I will get a high B or A. However my supervisor gave me a predicted C from my finished work. Bear in mind she didn't meet me until January until I had to give her a harshly worded email to get her into gear. I am the only one submitting EPQ this year as other candidates have dropped out due to little help from the supervisor or their own ambivalence to the qualification as a whole. I have gone through the mark scheme with the supervisor and myself. Every time she notes something to improve on I state that I have done it and show her where and she brushes it aside saying "I see but what about this". What is the likelihood, given that I am the only one submitting this year, that a moderator is going to raise my grade?

~ Your PuerilePupil
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PuerilePupil)
Hi TSR,
I'll keep this short as I can, my EPQ supervisor is known to be not the most helpful around the school. The only other subject she is licensed to teach is catering, not slamming catering just contextual on her specialities, I have been using my friend's EPQ from two years before (which got an A*) to use for reference for the structure and conduct. However, when I started EPQ the supervisor gave me a grade B to look at as that was the highest grade that had been achieved in the school so far, in her tenure, and to aim for a B. I know it's subjective the essay she gave me is not great and I assume is a low B. However after getting advice from multiple other people who got A* and an EPQ tutor most say I will get a high B or A. However my supervisor gave me a predicted C from my finished work. Bear in mind she didn't meet me until January until I had to give her a harshly worded email to get her into gear. I am the only one submitting EPQ this year as other candidates have dropped out due to little help from the supervisor or their own ambivalence to the qualification as a whole. I have gone through the mark scheme with the supervisor and myself. Every time she notes something to improve on I state that I have done it and show her where and she brushes it aside saying "I see but what about this". What is the likelihood, given that I am the only one submitting this year, that a moderator is going to raise my grade?

~ Your PuerilePupil
Have you referenced your friends EPQ?
Have you talked to head of year?
I believe you are allowed to appeal a controlled assessment. Check with exam officer or the exam board. You have to have appealable grounds i.e they did something wrong and didnt follow procedure.
PuerilePupil
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have you referenced your friends EPQ?
Have you talked to head of year?
I believe you are allowed to appeal a controlled assessment. Check with exam officer or the exam board. You have to have appealable grounds i.e they did something wrong and didnt follow procedure.
I spoke to the head of year and he said that it wasn't his area to encroach upon. If I call AQA would they be able to talk to me about the possibility of the controlled assessment?

thanks ~pp
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
I spoke to the head of year and he said that it wasn't his area to encroach upon. If I call AQA would they be able to talk to me about the possibility of the controlled assessment?

thanks ~pp

Nothing to lose. they may or may not be helpful.
Talk to us

Tel: 0161 957 3980
Email: [email protected]
PuerilePupil
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
Nothing to lose. they may or may not be helpful.
Talk to us

Tel: 0161 957 3980
Email: [email protected]
Thanks, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
~PP.
hasnat614
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
~PP.
how did it go? Im in a similar situation.
PuerilePupil
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hasnat614)
how did it go? Im in a similar situation.
Hi hasnat614,

I eventually convinced her to raise my grade. My argument was that EPQ marking procedure dictated that a random sample of EPQs were to be selected from the school and marked. The average numerical difference from these original grades to the ones decided on by the external marker would then be applied all the other EPQs the school produced. I.e. 6 students do EPQ, 2 have their work taken and found to be cumulatively 7 marks over what the external marker thinks they should be. He will then remove 7 marks from all EPQs from that school. That is why school markers really try not to over mark anyone. However, since I was the only EPQ candidate, it was inevitable that my EPQ would be sampled for external marking. So, I strongly implied that giving me a higher grade would perhaps subconsciously nudge the external marker to view my EPQ favorably (they are more likely to bump you up from a B to a A than C to A for example) and that there was no chance my work would negatively effect another candidate, as there were no others, and it is done yearly. She bumped the finished product (originally graded C by her) up to an A to get me off her back. To be clear we made no changes between what she said was a C and what we eventually found out was an A (thank you external marker). So she was two whole grade boundaries off, and I was vindicated. My advice: if you are the only student doing it, use the above argument and STAY ON THEIR BACK. Listen to them, but also don't let them shrug you off, as, if your supervisor is like my old one, she will be gunning to do as little work as possible. Simply put, if they are like that, make dealing with you more work than it is worth, and they will give in to filling out the justifications of why you are an A or whatever grade you are looking for. It goes without saying that, if you are one of many in your school working on doing an EPQ, this line of reasoning will not work for you. Therefore, if your EPQ supervisor is belligerent, you just have to hope the external marker sees what they can't.
hasnat614
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi hasnat614,

I eventually convinced her to raise my grade. My argument was that EPQ marking procedure dictated that a random sample of EPQs were to be selected from the school and marked. The average numerical difference from these original grades to the ones decided on by the external marker would then be applied all the other EPQs the school produced. I.e. 6 students do EPQ, 2 have their work taken and found to be cumulatively 7 marks over what the external marker thinks they should be. He will then remove 7 marks from all EPQs from that school. That is why school markers really try not to over mark anyone. However, since I was the only EPQ candidate, it was inevitable that my EPQ would be sampled for external marking. So, I strongly implied that giving me a higher grade would perhaps subconsciously nudge the external marker to view my EPQ favorably (they are more likely to bump you up from a B to a A than C to A for example) and that there was no chance my work would negatively effect another candidate, as there were no others, and it is done yearly. She bumped the finished product (originally graded C by her) up to an A to get me off her back. To be clear we made no changes between what she said was a C and what we eventually found out was an A (thank you external marker). So she was two whole grade boundaries off, and I was vindicated. My advice: if you are the only student doing it, use the above argument and STAY ON THEIR BACK. Listen to them, but also don't let them shrug you off, as, if your supervisor is like my old one, she will be gunning to do as little work as possible. Simply put, if they are like that, make dealing with you more work than it is worth, and they will give in to filling out the justifications of why you are an A or whatever grade you are looking for. It goes without saying that, if you are one of many in your school working on doing an EPQ, this line of reasoning will not work for you. Therefore, if your EPQ supervisor is belligerent, you just have to hope the external marker sees what they can't.
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking the same thing... I should have used that logic! Im such an idiot!
Its too late now, the external marker didn't make any changes, my grade is a B. I was also the only student taking exams, this wouldv'e been perfect for me, if only I saw it when I had the chance. ☹
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads