The Student Room Group

Student finance funding

Hi

If you’ve used up 2 years of support so only have 2 years left and want to do a 3 year course in the future, if you support yourself for your first year so you pay your own tuition fees, will student finance support you for the remaining two? Would you just apply part way through your first year for support for the 2nd year and then again in your second year for support in your 3rd?

Wasn’t sure if they would be able to support u for JUST 2 of the 3 years.

?
Original post by Cb1509
Hi

If you’ve used up 2 years of support so only have 2 years left and want to do a 3 year course in the future, if you support yourself for your first year so you pay your own tuition fees, will student finance support you for the remaining two? Would you just apply part way through your first year for support for the 2nd year and then again in your second year for support in your 3rd?

Wasn’t sure if they would be able to support u for JUST 2 of the 3 years.

?

Hi Cb1509,

The previous course that you studied for 2 years was this full time or part time?

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
I studied two different courses for a few months each. Both full time
Reply 3
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi Cb1509,

The previous course that you studied for 2 years was this full time or part time?

Thanks

Louise

Original post by Cb1509

Hi Cb1509,

Previous study at the higher education level will be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance. The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study (previous study would also include self funded and partial years of funding).

Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan only.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 5
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi Cb1509,

Previous study at the higher education level will be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance. The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study (previous study would also include self funded and partial years of funding).

Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan only.

Thanks

Louise

so I would be able to get funding in years 2 3 if I find myself for year 1? As I’ve ‘used’ 2 yrs apparently and would wanna do a 3 year course in the future so just wanted to ensure that, I’d be able to get tuition fee and maintenance loans in years 2 3? And would I just need to apply part way through year 1???
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Cb1509
so I would be able to get funding in years 2 3 if I find myself for year 1? As I’ve ‘used’ 2 yrs apparently and would wanna do a 3 year course in the future so just wanted to ensure that, I’d be able to get tuition fee and maintenance loans in years 2 3? And would I just need to apply part way through year 1???

Hi Cb1509,

Yes,if you have already had 2 years of previous study and you now wish to complete a new 3 year course , then you would have Maintenance Loan only for year 1 and full support Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan for years 2 and 3.

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending