The Student Room Group

Am I doing something wrong?

The first ever girl I went to gave me her number... The other 5 after that have rejected me because they have a boyfriend or gave me a straight up no. I even made the effort today to approach and ask if I can sit down with her. She hardly knew English and her banter was dead. Then one of my class mates awkwardly joined us and didn't say anything, then once she had to leave I asked for her phone number and it was still a no. Wtf am I doing wrong?

Scroll to see replies

She doesn't know you well.
Personally I'd rather you came up to me on multiple occasions and we talked a bit so I knew you before giving you my number.
Straight up asking for it won't get you anywhere.
How exactly are you asking them? Do you know them well?
If a random person came up to you and chatted with you for a bit and then asked you for your number what would you do?

Frankly, I would say no unless they had similarities with me or something to talk about. (Like gaming or books or something.)
Reply 3
Original post by AzureCeleste
She doesn't know you well.
Personally I'd rather you came up to me on multiple occasions and we talked a bit so I knew you before giving you my number.
Straight up asking for it won't get you anywhere.
How exactly are you asking them? Do you know them well?

I just asked if I can sit here (on her table), no she was a random girl I have had my eyes on for some time.
Reply 4
Original post by monkeyman0121
If a random person came up to you and chatted with you for a bit and then asked you for your number what would you do?

Frankly, I would say no unless they had similarities with me or something to talk about. (Like gaming or books or something.)

I would probably give it out because I'm a desperate being
Original post by Anonymous
I would probably give it out because I'm a desperate being

Why you desperate?

If you are desperate you will find people who are toxic and will manipulate you. (Most likely anyway.)
The other 5 after that have rejected me because they have a boyfriend or gave me a straight up no.

Are you wanting to hook up with these girls?

I even made the effort today to approach and ask if I can sit down with her. She hardly knew English and her banter was dead. Then one of my class mates awkwardly joined us and didn't say anything, then once she had to leave I asked for her phone number and it was still a no. Wtf am I doing wrong?

Why does she have to give her number to you? After things went so awkwardly, what exactly were you expecting?

What is going wrong is that it seems you are so single mindedly pursuing trying to obtain girls numbers, that you're almost completely ignoring how things are actually going on between you two.

If people don't feel any chemistry with you (nothing in common, opposite sense of humour etc) or feel you are coming on too strong or giving off other bad vibes (desperate, needy, insecure or self-absorbed etc), then they're not going to want to invite/encourage you more by giving their number to you.

Try to get to know people more first before asking for numbers. Things have to go naturally well before a number swap is realistically on the cards. Be more mindful of not just how you're coming off to other people, but how they're interpreting you. You can't just force friendship on people (the feelings have to be mutual).
Reply 7
Why you desperate?

If you are desperate you will find people who are toxic and will manipulate you. (Most likely anyway.)

Meh I don't know why I'm desperate, her not giving me her number knocks my confidence as well tbh. How would I only find those kind of people?
I just asked if I can sit here (on her table), no she was a random girl I have had my eyes on for some time.

That's my point. She knows virtually nothing about you-I'd rather know something about you or at least have something in common.
Maybe have seen each other about?
Reply 9
Original post by Feastful
Are you wanting to hook up with these girls?

Why does she have to give her number to you? After things went so awkwardly, what exactly were you expecting?

What is going wrong is that it seems you are so single mindedly pursuing trying to obtain girls numbers, that you're almost completely ignoring how things are actually going on between you two.

If people don't feel any chemistry with you (nothing in common, opposite sense of humour etc) or feel you are coming on too strong or giving off other bad vibes (desperate, needy, insecure or self-absorbed etc), then they're not going to want to invite/encourage you more by giving their number to you.

Try to get to know people more first before asking for numbers. Things have to go naturally well before a number swap is realistically on the cards. Be more mindful of not just how you're coming off to other people, but how they're interpreting you. You can't just force friendship on people (the feelings have to be mutual).

Yeah I know what you mean, so it was mostly not down to looks (as she let me sit down), it was probably because we weren't that similar etc. Is that what ur trying to say? Okay I will, tbf I may just wait till university now.
Original post by AzureCeleste
That's my point. She knows virtually nothing about you-I'd rather know something about you or at least have something in common.
Maybe have seen each other about?

Yeah we walk past each other quite often, that was my first time going up to her tho.
Meh I don't know why I'm desperate, her not giving me her number knocks my confidence as well tbh. How would I only find those kind of people?

At least you can go up to people and ask, that is the first step, there will always be times when you are rejected. There are many reasons for this.
Yeah we walk past each other quite often, that was my first time going up to her tho.

Ok fair enough.
Next time speak more often to her occasionally? And then ask her if she'd like to meet up for coffee(or whatever) and ask for her number then?
At least you can go up to people and ask, that is the first step, there will always be times when you are rejected. There are many reasons for this.

Yeah but I don't get why my success rate is at around 15%... Its embarrassing
Yeah but I don't get why my success rate is at around 15%... It's embarrassing

Why? That is better than mine which is a 0 since I have never asked for one :tongue:
Yeah I know what you mean, so it was mostly not down to looks (as she let me sit down), it was probably because we weren't that similar etc. Is that what ur trying to say? Okay I will, tbf I may just wait till university now.

Not having any real chemistry going on between you too will certainly discourage a number swap. You need to work on social skills with people everyday regardless of what your intentions are (rather than only approaching people when you have a particular objective in mind). Try not to take rejection too personally (not least because nothing ventured, nothing gained).
Why? That is better than mine which is a 0 since I have never asked for one :tongue:

Lol I would be better off not going up to girls, it just ends in my confidence being knocked
Original post by Feastful
Not having any real chemistry going on between you too will certainly discourage a number swap. You need to work on social skills with people everyday regardless of what your intentions are (rather than only approaching people when you have a particular objective in mind). Try not to take rejection too personally (not least because nothing ventured, nothing gained).

Yeah I get ur point but I just find it hard to try and apply that mindset and not care too much :frown:
Yeah I get ur point but I just find it hard to try and apply that mindset and not care too much :frown:

Even the best looking people still get rejected from time to time.

The best way to avoid rejection is to simply work on improving your social perception of people. Long before these girls said "no" to the number swap ,there would have been signs that they weren't that interested.

If you avoid interacting with people, all that is going to happen is that your social skills won't develop any further (social avoidance doesn't spare you rejection, it just creates more problems further down the line).

Do you think all professional footballers were always that good? No, they've all lost a heck of a lot matches over their sporting lifetimes (but they got better by not giving up in the face of adversity). And if you want to come succeed in broader life, then you have to get out there on the field (and keep on putting yourself out there).

Respect and accept people's right to reject you. It's going to happen (it's a fact of life for us all). It's also a fools errand to try and get along with everyone you meet. So keep on putting yourself out there socially and focus on getting to know those who you actually have more genuine natural chemistry with, and continue to develop your social abilities (self-awareness, interpreting people's body language more accurately etc).
(edited 6 years ago)
You need good chat, otherwise why would she want to talk to you more? Approaching girls is kind of like a sales pitch selling burgers. Not everyone eats meat, they might not be hungry, they might just not like burgers. Since you don’t know what your audience wants then you’re bound to face mostly rejections.

Approaching a random girl is going in blind for both of you, someone would have to be exceptionally interesting to get my number after interrupting whatever I was doing. Also an unnecessary risk, why would I risk giving out my info to some random who I don’t know? Could be an obsessive creep who doesn’t take no for an answer. Not worth it :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending