AQA English Grade Boundaries: too high or too low?

Watch
TotallyWilde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Below are last years grade boundaries for English (AQA). I was pretty shocked when I saw them since they're a lot lower than I expected.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...Y-JUN-2017.PDF

Current year 11s: Also, do you think that they will be higher or lower when we sit our GCSEs? What are your thoughts?
IceBlue
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For me:

English Language- Certainly higher. Last year the teachers will have had much less of an idea of what to do for each question (they are different to previous language exams), which for the lang exam is crucial. These seem low as it is.

English Literature- Likely similar. These are high boundaries as it is, and with English Literature, there isn't much that can change even with a new spec (the core ideas of what to do are the same).

Maths- Probably higher, especially for the 6-9 grades. It's likely maths teachers didn't expect some of the types of questions we had on mocks, but this year we can be prepared for these question types. I think this year a 9 will be right around the 200 mark, assuming a similar paper.
TotallyWilde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by IceBlue)
For me:

English Language- Certainly higher. Last year the teachers will have had much less of an idea of what to do for each question (they are different to previous language exams), which for the lang exam is crucial. These seem low as it is.

English Literature- Likely similar. These are high boundaries as it is, and with English Literature, there isn't much that can change even with a new spec (the core ideas of what to do are the same).

Maths- Probably higher, especially for the 6-9 grades. It's likely maths teachers didn't expect some of the types of questions we had on mocks, but this year we can be prepared for these question types. I think this year a 9 will be right around the 200 mark, assuming a similar paper.
I definitely agree with you about maths and English language. But I think literature might be higher due to more resources being available now than there were for last year's exams. Especially, the types of exam questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (97)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.39%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.87%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.06%
Financial worries (62)
6.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed