The Student Room Group

can i do clinical psychology with a neuroscience degree??

Reply 1
Original post by k.g.

I dunno, can you? What’s the basis of the question you’re trying to ask?
Reply 2
Original post by Lily048
I dunno, can you? What’s the basis of the question you’re trying to ask?

I've just been thinking what I can do with a BSc neuroscience degree from UCL since I have received an offer to study there for 2018 entry and wanted to know what kind of career I can expect to get into. (bare in mind UCL has the second best neuroscience dept. in the world if it that changes anything)
Reply 3
Original post by k.g.
I've just been thinking what I can do with a BSc neuroscience degree from UCL since I have received an offer to study there for 2018 entry and wanted to know what kind of career I can expect to get into. (bare in mind UCL has the second best neuroscience dept. in the world if it that changes anything)

There’s probably a lot you could do but you have to remember that just because a reputation is good it doesn’t automatically equal direct entry into a job. Likelihood is you would have to go on to do a masters or some form of higher university education because there are very few jobs in the UK requiring such a specific degree that can be taken on without experience as just a baseline degree. Most science degrees nowadays are common place because (regardless of university) everyone is being steered into these courses because of the tightening economic climate and job prosperity. That means an ordinary degree will get you plenty of jobs no doubt in other areas - lab work, researching, teaching, consulting - but not necessarily as a neuroscientist at a decent level.
I would also add that even being a researcher is badly paid in this area, you’d have to truly make the most of any experience gained, further degree education and possibly industry placement if at all possible. If you are willing to go overseas then your job prospects do widen quite a bit, although I can’t imagine the pay would be better there.
My inclination would be to say no, but you should be able to get on a conversion degree/masters relatively easily and, with appropriate experience and everything else for clinical psych (it is insanely competitive!) potentially a doctorate. Your best bet would be to email a couple of unis asking what your best route might be and go from there. @Noodlzzz anything to add?
Original post by furryface12
My inclination would be to say no, but you should be able to get on a conversion degree/masters relatively easily and, with appropriate experience and everything else for clinical psych (it is insanely competitive!) potentially a doctorate. Your best bet would be to email a couple of unis asking what your best route might be and go from there. @Noodlzzz anything to add?

I totally agree with this. You will almost definitely need a conversion degree which is BPS accreditation to have graduate basis for chartered membership (GBC)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending