AS- Sociology or German

Watch this thread
cemsu
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I am doing igcses this year and i do really enjoy german lesson but im uncertain about whether to choose german in AS or not because everyone says its really hard to make AS in german. On the other side im also interested in sociology but i never studied sociology before. Would it be hard if i choose sociology or should i continue with german?
jamescardif
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
in my old school, both of sociology and german teachers were terrible so i guess i can give you a good advice. Despite they were both terrible i could easily understand the sociology lessons because it includes kind of basic things. My advice: choose sociology and you will not regret it.
cemsu
Rep:
okay thank youu!
DuckLion
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
German may be more difficult, but the knowledge and skills you learn from foreign languages are a huge boon for future employment in a large number of areas. If you keep your skills up, you give any company you work for in the future a chance to branch out into German markets or deal with German clients. It also opens up more opportunities for study (German universities or study abroad programs), travel, and meeting new people. It would also be worth considering what sorts of industry you might want to join in the future, and seeing if German-speaking countries tend to value those industries.

While Sociology is a really interesting subject, a lot of the skills you learn from it (such as making and arguing a point and extended writing) are easily duplicated in other, often more 'prestigious' subjects such as History or the Englishes- even in A-Level foreign language, you have to do extended writing and give presentations as part of your course. Sociology also has a reputation for attracting less bright pupils who are 'just looking to fill an option', whereas A-Level languages often attract harder-working, more focused pupils. I'd also say that Sociology lessons tend to be very...straightforward. It's mostly learning about a concept and writing an essay recounting the facts you've learned. Some teachers might bring debate into it, but a lot of it is just cramming knowledge with no real variation in the lesson styles.

Lastly, unless you want to work in social sciences or study it as a hobby in future, a lot of what you learn isn't going to be immediately useful or applicable to your life, and you might end up forgetting a lot of it to no real disadvantage to you. Again, if you put effort into maintaining your language skills, then you have a huge range of professional and personal opportunities. As foreign languages weren't offered at my school, I really lament that I've missed out on a lot of complex grammar and conversation skills- they're harder to learn on your own, but not having them can really stopper the level of fluency you achieve in future.

If you still have time before you pick your options, consider the knowledge (German tenses, Marxist theories of education) and skills (presentation skills, debate skills) you would learn in each, how well they would fit in with your other options (are they all essay based?), and what university courses and jobs might lend themselves to you studying one or the other at A-Level. If you're not too serious about either of them but care about your results, then it might be better to pick Sociology if you have more chance of getting a good grade, but don't discount how useful having a language is. If you're not familiar with Sociology, ask if you can borrow a textbook or sit in on a class or revision session to get a feel for the subject and if it actually does interest you at all.
cemsu
Rep:
thank you very much this is really helpful!
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Moved to GCSEs
username2965904
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
German will probably be useful in later life.
username3741972
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Psychology is better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (124)
67.03%
No (39)
21.08%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.89%

Watched Threads