The Student Room Group

23 and finally ready to book lessons, private instructor or AA school?

So I've had a massive fear of driving I keep coming up with all the excuses but I need to pass to get a promotion at work and I'll get my own van with free diesel! I think my fear stems from when I was a kid I drove a doom buggy and went into reverse and went into panic mode and froze and couldn't press the break and almost went into a stream..

So I've never been on a lesson, I tried a few years ago my sister just tried getting me to get the biting point but I couldn't do it we gave up

a year or 2 later I went into one of the vans at work and went into reverse and it shot off again without me pressing the acceleration and I panicked again but I did manage to press the break but I still panicked

boom another year has passed, my friend then let me just ride the clutch in the big van and I did okay I moved the van and pressed the break fine but I did stall but still I finally moved the van and didn't panic

I then got some confidence and I had little goes of the van just riding the clutch, then one day my friend took me at the back of hes house and I went down this little dirt track and reversed and drove up and down it a few times, massive confidence booster for me even though I did stall a few times.. I was all motivated but I stopped and didn't do anything for a year

so here I am now, I have my provisional, I recently got diagnosed with ADHD and on medication that is making me calmer and have better concentration which is giving me confidence and I have my work performance review soon and the only thing he has on me is that I don't drive, so when he says "goal of book lessons" or whatever I can turn around and say I've already started

okay so I know a good private instructor in my area BUT he kind of throws you in the deep end and he'll make hes last lesson drive to your house and then you drive them home and this is what is making me a bit scared, I get nervous if I'm doing something I'm not sure about and someone is there watching.. so I was thinking of doing lessons with AA for 5-10 lessons because they won't do that, it can be easy for me to loose my confidence and its taken me ages to finally book lessons so I don't wanna run before I can walk and loose confidence

any recommendations on what I can do?

TLDR: nervous about driving, should I do 5-10 lessons with AA and learn a bit slower and then go onto a good private instructor?
Reply 1
You shouldn't have to Piggyback (taking the previous person home). So I'd forget learning from themI started driving last September and got a superb AA instructor who I passed with first time last Friday.I'd go with AA again if I had the choice again. What I'd say however is book 5 lessons see how you find them and then decide whether you want to book additional lessons. If you think your AA instructor is good after 5 lessons why not stay with them you will waste more time and money going from one instructor to another.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by T_B_N.
You shouldn't have to Piggyback (taking the previous person home). So I'd forget learning from themI started driving last September and got a superb AA instructor who I passed with first time last Friday.I'd go with AA again if I had the choice again. What I'd say however is book 5 lessons see how you find them and then decide whether you want to book additional lessons. If you think your AA instructor is good after 5 lessons why not stay with you will waste more time and money going from one instructor to another.

Damn I wish I had see this reply I literally just booked 10 lessons 2 minutes ago, I was thinking of doing 5 incase I didn't like the instructor but then I thought oh well even if I don't like him I'll have to get over it, hopefully if hes really that bad I can ask to change
Reply 3
Original post by joegpp
Damn I wish I had see this reply I literally just booked 10 lessons 2 minutes ago, I was thinking of doing 5 incase I didn't like the instructor but then I thought oh well even if I don't like him I'll have to get over it, hopefully if hes really that bad I can ask to change

With the private instructor or AA?
Reply 4
Original post by T_B_N.
With the private instructor or AA?

With AA :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending