The Student Room Group

How do I turn my GCSE maths grade 6 into a 7 or 8??

I know the answer may be obvious...revise. However, what is the best way to revise for maths?? There aren't any papers for the new 9-1 spec and I've done the June 2017 papers and November 2017 papers. I've got a set of 8 past papers but I feel they are easier than the papers we would get in the actual exam. I've recognised most of my areas of weakness but how do I cover them effectively with the one and half months I have left.

By the way, in the June paper I was 7 marks off a grade 7 and I haven't got my November marks yet. I feel it is possible to get a grade 7 but I'm a bit lost on how to secure those other marks...
Reply 1
The key to maths is practice. Even if the past papers are a big easier that the real thing, doing them and checking the mistakes will really help you get most of the marks. The CGP grade 9 workbook is also really good, as it includes only grade 7-9 questions from all the topics- these can help you through the harder questions, as it's a lot easier if you've seen similar questions before and know what you need to do.

TL;DR- Do as many questions as you can, check them, repeat. Good luck :smile:
Original post by jc.100
I know the answer may be obvious...revise. However, what is the best way to revise for maths?? There aren't any papers for the new 9-1 spec and I've done the June 2017 papers and November 2017 papers. I've got a set of 8 past papers but I feel they are easier than the papers we would get in the actual exam. I've recognised most of my areas of weakness but how do I cover them effectively with the one and half months I have left.

By the way, in the June paper I was 7 marks off a grade 7 and I haven't got my November marks yet. I feel it is possible to get a grade 7 but I'm a bit lost on how to secure those other marks...

I got a 6 in my mock last year and a grade 8 in the actual exam. Practise lots of exam papers. Use maths genie for the topics you're struggling with. Make sure you make all your notes and create your own formula sheet and start to memorise the formulas because you won't be given all the formulas in your exam
I got a 7 last year. I recommend you 100% understand the concept by reading it, following examples and then apply the concept to as many practice questions as possible.

Topics such as circle theorems where you just need to know the rules, I recommend the 'ten times' rule where you write down all the rules 10x then you'll remember!

good luck
you shouldnt be doing past papers pre 2017, there are hundreds of new spec papers (corbett maths, cgp) and the exam board have loads official ones, ask your teacher for some of the locked papers aswell.
Reply 5
Thanks guys! More replies are welcomed...
Other than past paper and revision guides, I make revision cards with one question on the front and one answer on the back of each. I stick them to every door in my house and if I can answer it, I throw it away and replace it with a new question and if I can't answer it, then I won't let myself into the room until I can answer it :tongue: It motivates me more to be honest, especially when I'm outside the kitchen :biggrin:
Reply 7
that is such a sick idea...defo trying that

Quick Reply

Latest