Any info I should have to help me understand macbeth more? Watch

Sian.M.A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
In English class after the spring holidays, we are doing Macbeth in English. Ive vaguely done it before but haven't always done it in great depth or fully understood. Any pointers you could give me??
username2965904
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Macbeth was Scottish.
It is bad luck to mention the name of the 'Scottish play' in the theatre.
It was written by Shakespeare.
There is a version currently on at the National Theatre, and a film version about three years ago with Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard and Paddy Considine.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Sian Auyeung)
In English class after the spring holidays, we are doing Macbeth in English. Ive vaguely done it before but haven't always done it in great depth or fully understood. Any pointers you could give me??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNNO...yaU5scvuYiIKuL
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In Elizabethan England many people believed in the Great Chain of Being. Every person had a rank, which was the natural order according to God. God was at the top, then the king, then queen, lords etc all the way down to beggars and criminals, and the devil. Everyone had their place in society and was expected to remain there.
The witches work for the devil 'Hecate'. They are unnatural and want to disrupt the chain. They know Macbeth's weakness and use him to create disorder.
When Macbeth kills Duncan the Great Chain is broken and unnatural things happen. Macbeth might become king in name, but he is not the rightful king, and so nothing can go well. He becomes steadily more evil and more isolated, losing his followers, friends and even his wife. He has nightmares and cannot sleep. By the end of the play he is a 'dwarfish thief' in a giant's robes. He finally realises that he has been tricked and betrayed by the witches.

The play was also written at the time of King James. James was originally from Scotland and was unpopular with catholics because he was a protestant. (He was the intended victim of the Gunpowder plot). James wrote a book about witchcraft, and had those who plotted against him tortured and executed. Shakespeare was very careful to show that anyone who killed the rightful king and took the title would never prosper. They would die, violently and alone, hated by everyone. This was a message that King James would approve of. Shakespeare does allow Macbeth to die in combat, unlike Duncan or Banquo. He dies with armour on his back, as he wanted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads