The Student Room Group

How do I meet girls?

I think that I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to girls and I want to change that, because I don't want to end up as an unsociable lonely person. I think one of my problems is that I'm short: I used to go out with my friends but multiple comments from girls either mocking me for being short or commenting on my height in a condescending manner got me so frustrated that I stopped doing that. An entirely different problem is how frustrated I get when people mock me for being short, I don't really know how to just accept it without feeling embarrassed because people expect me to be okay with it (and I don't know how to :c ).
I want to go out with people and meet people so I can at least be as experienced as my friends (who pretty much all have girlfriends), because I feel that if I'm not experienced then if I do get a chance (heh) with a girl, then I'll mess it up. My problem is that I don't like the way that (in my experience) a lot of girls treat short guys; as a joke, laughing stock, like a child etc. It makes me hate going out.

Scroll to see replies

Awh, I can feel your pain. There isn't really much you can do about your height can you? All I can advice is to be yourself and be confident. Just act normally and don't be sad that you're short. People make fun of your height?, do the opposite! Laugh at yourself! Make jokes on your own height. I know it sounds stupid, but I GUARANTEE you will soon realize that people will lose interest in making fun of your height. TRUST ME!
Original post by Anonymous
I think that I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to girls and I want to change that, because I don't want to end up as an unsociable lonely person. I think one of my problems is that I'm short: I used to go out with my friends but multiple comments from girls either mocking me for being short or commenting on my height in a condescending manner got me so frustrated that I stopped doing that. An entirely different problem is how frustrated I get when people mock me for being short, I don't really know how to just accept it without feeling embarrassed because people expect me to be okay with it (and I don't know how to :c ).
I want to go out with people and meet people so I can at least be as experienced as my friends (who pretty much all have girlfriends), because I feel that if I'm not experienced then if I do get a chance (heh) with a girl, then I'll mess it up. My problem is that I don't like the way that (in my experience) a lot of girls treat short guys; as a joke, laughing stock, like a child etc. It makes me hate going out.

you can't let your height be a chip on your shoulder. as said above learn to laugh at yourself and give some banter back. you can't change being short but you can make the most of it.
Reply 3
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Awh, I can feel your pain. There isn't really much you can do about your height can you? All I can advice is to be yourself and be confident. Just act normally and don't be sad that you're short. People make fun of your height?, do the opposite! Laugh at yourself! Make jokes on your own height. I know it sounds stupid, but I GUARANTEE you will soon realize that people will lose interest in making fun of your height. TRUST ME!

Original post by JoshDawg
you can't let your height be a chip on your shoulder. as said above learn to laugh at yourself and give some banter back. you can't change being short but you can make the most of it.

The problem is that when girls make fun of my height, it's not in a playful way, it's condescending, offensive, as if they don't see me as a real adult. I do make jokes about my height when it's appropriate but I can't force it because then it's not funny and when I do get mocked I feel pretty bad after, and I don't know how not to feel like that. I do wish there were girls who treated short guys like normal people...
The problem is that when girls make fun of my height, it's not in a playful way, it's condescending, offensive, as if they don't see me as a real adult. I do make jokes about my height when it's appropriate but I can't force it because then it's not funny and when I do get mocked I feel pretty bad after, and I don't know how not to feel like that. I do wish there were girls who treated short guys like normal people...

Ofcourse, there are some girls! Short girls?
How’s talll are you if u don’t mind me asking ?

Biggest load of bull OP. I am a short guy -5'3 to be exact. I can see where you are coming from, and I know how you feel. But you can't "just be yourself" because thats what's causing the issue... You need to act more confident - fake it till you make it. If it helps, you should workout too, one of the nicest feelings is knowing you can bench more than that 6'2 noodle.
Go out and be socialable, being indoors and not meeting people will only make it worse.

Here is a tip - if you see a girl or anyone, and you want to talk to them, go approach. You only have 3 seconds to do so. By giving yourself such a short window of space, you don't overthink and you will actually go!
Reply 7
Ofcourse, there are some girls! Short girls?

Haha nope, I'm taller than most girls but even girls shorter than me just see me as a joke of a man and as more of a child than an adult. There was this one girl about 5'3 who really couldn't help but patronise me.
Reply 8
Original post by EmilyH1256
How’s talll are you if u don’t mind me asking ?

5'5
Reply 9
Original post by Anti-Fem
Biggest load of bull OP. I am a short guy -5'3 to be exact. I can see where you are coming from, and I know how you feel. But you can't "just be yourself" because thats what's causing the issue... You need to act more confident - fake it till you make it. If it helps, you should workout too, one of the nicest feelings is knowing you can bench more than that 6'2 noodle.
Go out and be socialable, being indoors and not meeting people will only make it worse.

Here is a tip - if you see a girl or anyone, and you want to talk to them, go approach. You only have 3 seconds to do so. By giving yourself such a short window of space, you don't overthink and you will actually go!

I do workout and it does help me feel better about myself, and over the past few years my confidence has grown. The biggest issue I have concerning confidence is that I can't deal with girls treating me like a kid/not taking me seriously. I get really frustrated and I feel really down when it happens because tbh I'd like to be treated like an adult, I'm not a child. I don't know how not to feel this way when girls patronise me or make malicious jokes about my height.
5'5

You are not short short is like 5’0 and shorter .... don’t listen to be a lot of guys are 5’5 my boyfriend is only 5’6 don’t let it bother u ... some females are just shallow...
Original post by EmilyH1256
You are not short short is like 5’0 and shorter .... don’t listen to be a lot of guys are 5’5 my boyfriend is only 5’6 don’t let it bother u ... some females are just shallow...

Statistically for a male I am short. I don't know if wanting to date only tall men is a preference or being shallow. They can't help it so I just called it a preference I guess.
Statistically for a male I am short. I don't know if wanting to date only tall men is a preference or being shallow. They can't help it so I just called it a preference I guess.
no they are shallow ... I hate that crap ... if ur a female and ur 5’3 5’4 or even shorter guess what ur taller then them still do why should it matter?
The responses are making me rather annoyed.
Original post by RockyDennis
The responses are making me rather annoyed.

And why is that ?
Girls will patronise you, i felt it too. It's a *****y feeling i know. But you can ignore it and carry on with the conversation, imo i think it's really more of a **** test. If they are being dicks to you, you can do the same. Go out of your comfort zone. Eventually the height jokes will be very insignificant. 5'5 isn't terrible too, it's a lot better than me!
There are a lot of short girls out there not every single girl is some giant 6ft. As long as your peng and funny nd have a good personality girls will be on your headdd :wink:
Original post by Anti-Fem
Girls will patronise you, i felt it too. It's a *****y feeling i know. But you can ignore it and carry on with the conversation, imo i think it's really more of a **** test. If they are being dicks to you, you can do the same. Go out of your comfort zone. Eventually the height jokes will be very insignificant. 5'5 isn't terrible too, it's a lot better than me!

I find it hard to just ignore it and carry on. I don't know why, but I don't like being patronised, I don't like being treated like a child and I don't like being seen as less of a person because I'm short. Also, I can't be an a**hole back because that would make everyone think I've got "short man syndrome", hence why if anyone does treat me like that I just stop being around them because that's all I can do without ruining my reputation and being picked on even more.
There are a lot of short girls out there not every single girl is some giant 6ft. As long as your peng and funny nd have a good personality girls will be on your headdd :wink:

A girl said I was "average" so I don't think I'm peng, and the thing is I used to believe that short girls wouldn't care about height but the short girls I've spent time around put me down for my height (even though I'm noticeably taller than them). On the funny thing I'd say I can make people laugh but I have a strange sense of humour which very few people share so that's a bit crap

Step 1: approach cautiously. Do not frighten said girl.
Step 2: dance aggressively (music not required)
Step 3: if all else fails offer nuggets

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending