How hard are math and physics A-levels? Watch

Plutonium-238
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay, this is a normal question now!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to be a nuclear scientist/physician more than anything when I leave school, so I'm going to have to take physics and math at A-level in college.
I feel like I'm smart enough to get onto the physics A-level because I've always done great in physics (I got an A on my last physics paper), but I suck at math and although I'm going to make sure I get good grades by going to my teachers, I feel like I wont be able to handle the A-levels, that I'm just not clever enough.
How hard are they really? Am I just stressing over nothing, or is my worry well placed?
Please answer!!
smaiu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Plutonium-238)
I want to be a nuclear scientist/physician more than anything when I leave school, so I'm going to have to take physics and math at A-level in college.
I feel like I'm smart enough to get onto the physics A-level because I've always done great in physics (I got an A on my last physics paper), but I suck at math and although I'm going to make sure I get good grades by going to my teachers, I feel like I wont be able to handle the A-levels, that I'm just not clever enough.
How hard are they really? Am I just stressing over nothing, or is my worry well placed?
Please answer!!
Well I got 3 topics left in maths AS level and for the most part it has been a breeze. However physics I couldn't tell you.
Upotm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please answer!!
I would not recommend doing A level physics if you are not competent at maths and if you struggle with GCSE maths don't do A level maths(it starts off ok but in A2 it becomes impossible). The step up to A-level for maths and physics is massive and I really struggled but if you really want to be a nuclear scientist go ahead and do physics.
GLewis01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From my experience, Maths AS is much easier. I got an A* at Physics GCSE, and an A at Maths and I'm now at A* Maths. Physics however... Me (and a lot of my class) have been doing terribly, talking D's, E's. I'd say Physics is much harder, be prepared for a large jump up.
Plutonium-238
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Upotm)
I would not recommend doing A level physics if you are not competent at maths and if you struggle with GCSE maths don't do A level maths(it starts off ok but in A2 it becomes impossible). The step up to A-level for maths and physics is massive and I really struggled but if you really want to be a nuclear scientist go ahead and do physics.
thanks
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know physics and maths are one of the hardest a level subject, but then again so are all subjects it’s all down to how much work you put in everyday
Potent900
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please answer!!
Maths AS is extremely doable, just an extension of GCSE. But A2 on the other hand is an absolute nightmare, especially with the Edexcel new spec. with lots of worded and real life questions. I do further maths so am doing the whole A level this year then FM next year, The jump up from GCSE to AS is small but from AS to A2 is very large.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish