maceypalmer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I take English Literature with AQA and we do crime and comedy. During class discussions I can make high level points and have no issue expressing my ideas verbally. However, when it comes to doing exams/ practice questions (especially in timed conditions) my brain goes blank no matter how much revision I do. It’s like when I see the question my brain just scrambles so I can’t make a convincing argument. Due to this I’m only just getting the marks to scrape a C when I know I’m capeable of so much better. So I’m desperate for any help or advice anyone could offer me.
Thanks.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Write it like you'd say it
username3774332
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi.
I am doing Literature AQA and Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde and Inspector Calls; along with power and conflict( a year early, year 10), I totally understand you as I went through similar problems. I would say that I am quite a genius in Literature, I achieved 27/30 on power and conflict, 31/34 on Inspector Calls and 21/30 on Jekyll and Hyde and 29/34 on Macbeth. The key is to take down the things you say in class and revise them. Then make a table of the poems that are similar and different. Then find an exam question and make a solid(10 min) plan and compare the poems. If it is a playwright then do the same, but for the extract, highlight it and think of what else happens in the wider text. Add quotations in the plan and small details. Then follow a solid structure, I do PEEZEL(POINT EVIDENCE EXPLAIN ZOOM EXPLORE LINK). This helps to structure out your essay. Once you've done it under timed conditions, give it to your teacher to mark. I give my teacher around 2 essays per week and get above 25/30( critical band). Then check at what you're struggling with and write it down next to your next essay plan. Frequently give your teacher essays and correct your mistakes and you'll see an improvement; take advantages of this Easter break.
Hope all goes well and good luck.

PS: It was hard to write this as the text kept on going to the start of the paragraph which was annoying AF lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads