The Student Room Group

Entry test Mathematics Preparation

I'm preparing for entry test examination for an engineering university. The problem is that "calculators" won't be allowed. There are a lot of questions that actually need calculator specifically questions related to combination or trigonometry and I seriously don't know how to do it....Can anyone help me regarding this? I can write down the questions if you can help me!
Original post by YasinZahra
I'm preparing for entry test examination for an engineering university. The problem is that "calculators" won't be allowed. There are a lot of questions that actually need calculator specifically questions related to combination or trigonometry and I seriously don't know how to do it....Can anyone help me regarding this? I can write down the questions if you can help me!

If they aren't allowed for you, they aren't allowed for anyone, so keep that in mind.

I'm sure there's no harm in leaving answers in terms of sin56 or 10C3 or anything like that, but if anyone, you'd need to check with the person who is administering the test.

Which university is this? And do you know what the style of questions might be? For example, when I sat my Scottish highers, the maths exam had a non-calculator paper - but the questions were such that the actual computation of the answers didn't involve much "messy" stuff that required a calculator - they were typically quite simplifiable into neater fractions etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
If they aren't allowed for you, they aren't allowed for anyone, so keep that in mind.

I'm sure there's no harm in leaving answers in terms of sin56 or 10C3 or anything like that, but if anyone, you'd need to check with the person who is administering the test.

Yeah, that's true. I don't how I'm supposed to ask the one's who is administering the test and even if I do ask them I don't think they'll tell me "how" to solve those questions. :-/
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Which university is this? And do you know what the style of questions might be? For example, when I sat my Scottish highers, the maths exam had a non-calculator paper - but the questions were such that the actual computation of the answers didn't involve much "messy" stuff that required a calculator - they were typically quite simplifiable into neater fractions etc.

The name of the exam is NTS NAT IE. If I appear for this exam then i'll be able to get my admission in any of the engineering universities in my country. I'm from Pakistan. AND I just realized that *maybe* I'm missing out on some of the stuffs and concepts I need to know due to which I'm not able to solve these questions. If I write down some of these questions will you mind helping me out?
The name of the exam is NTS NAT IE. If I appear for this exam then i'll be able to get my admission in any of the engineering universities in my country. I'm from Pakistan. AND I just realized that *maybe* I'm missing out on some of the stuffs and concepts I need to know due to which I'm not able to solve these questions. If I write down some of these questions will you mind helping me out?

I don't think I'd be much help with those questions any more I am afraid but if you post them in this forum then you should receive help as there are a lot of highly able mathematicians who help out here.
Can you give examples of the questions as I may be able to help?

Usually in combinations or permutations; a lot of the factorials may cancel out into a nice number that you can compute yourself. Also, if it's non-calculator; you may be expected to leave answers in terms of acr or Pi, etc.
Reply 7
Original post by thekidwhogames
Can you give examples of the questions as I may be able to help?

Usually in combinations or permutations; a lot of the factorials may cancel out into a nice number that you can compute yourself. Also, if it's non-calculator; you may be expected to leave answers in terms of acr or Pi, etc.

I truly apologize for not being able to reply. I had ended my preparation for Mathematics by then so I was busy studying other subjects. I skipped the combination questions, forgot to mark them as well and I really didn't have time then because only few days were left until the exam, that's why I couldn't reply. After I'm done with the exam I'm preparing for now, i'll find the questions and i'll reply you on this post or send you on your profile. Thank you so much for considering my question! Keep up the good work!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply