how to spend less than £40 a week on healthy food? Struggling

Watch
Xanet
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So recently I've made a meal plan because my food spending was getting ridiculous in between my normal healthy food shop coming to like £43 for one today and I am trying to get it to like £25-30 range without depriving myself of the good stuff. I'm trying to loose weight as well but its been 3 weeks and i cannot get below £40ish a week although I barely have any waste. My food shop this week was:

Pasta bake sauce, curry sauce x2, eggs, yogurt x6, nuts (£4), mango, grapes, 4 bananas, cucumber,leek, salad pack, lettuce, broccoli, potato x2, cherry tomato, onions x3, cottage cheese, falafel, discounted halo ice cream x2, spice pots x2

obviously i have some pasta and rice leftover but if i had to buy that it would be even more expensive...

where am i going wrong I dont eat meat and only processed stuff is occasional curry sauce or pasta but thats about it. Normally have eggs for break fast and roasted stuff/pasta/curry/salad for dinner and snack on nuts and fruit and yogurt as breakfast as well. Can i make any more improvements to my diet to save me my wallet without going crazy especially in this exam season D;
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Xanet)
So recently I've made a meal plan because my food spending was getting ridiculous in between my normal healthy food shop coming to like £43 for one today and I am trying to get it to like £25-30 range without depriving myself of the good stuff. I'm trying to loose weight as well but its been 3 weeks and i cannot get below £40ish a week although I barely have any waste. My food shop this week was:

Pasta bake sauce, curry sauce x2, eggs, yogurt x6, nuts (£4), mango, grapes, 4 bananas, cucumber,leek, salad pack, lettuce, broccoli, potato x2, cherry tomato, onions x3, cottage cheese, falafel, discounted halo ice cream x2, spice pots x2

obviously i have some pasta and rice leftover but if i had to buy that it would be even more expensive...

where am i going wrong I dont eat meat and only processed stuff is occasional curry sauce or pasta but thats about it. Normally have eggs for break fast and roasted stuff/pasta/curry/salad for dinner and snack on nuts and fruit and yogurt as breakfast as well. Can i make any more improvements to my diet to save me my wallet without going crazy especially in this exam season D;
I'm going to move this one to Food and Drink for you.

With the pasta and curry sauces - are they named brands or shops own? Talking in general, I buy own brands and don't notice a huge difference.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could try making your own sauces, it is less expensive and easy to do. Plus you can alter the flavour and consistency to how you want.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Make your own curry sauce.

Turmeric - 59p
Chilli Powder - 1.15
Garam Masala - 89p
Ground Cumin - 89p
Ground Coriander - 75p

= 4.27

You will get loads of servings out of that.

A tin of chopped tomatoes is 29p from Asda. One tin should make about 3/4 curries depending on portion size. Garlic ginger paste is 1.20 or you can buy the garlic and ginger fresh and make your own with a cheese grater and some salt.

You don't really need anything else other than the onions you will buy fresh.

You can make gravies in bulk then put them in the freezer btw.
username1767537
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Xanet)

That £7 you spent on Halo Top might seem like a good deal but not when it makes up 16.3 % of your weekly bill. Along with nuts as snack 25.6 % of your bill comes from absolutely non-essential goods. I know this seems really harsh and I want to make clear I'm not trying to attack you in anyway but these are things you don't need.

Try substituting nuts with something else low calorie like rice cakes, take it easy with yoghurt/chocolate covered ones if you do. If you're worried about losing that source of protein then supplement your diet with some pulses/legumes; they're stupid cheap in supermarkets for tins. Even better buy them in packs and soak them yourself.

Fresh fruits are also going to hit your budget hard, especially with more pricey goods such as mangos. I buy these anyway and see these as my treats, this sounds sad but I keep to ~£15 a week and am much happier with my finances in 2nd year. Yes, it's unfortunate I have to see fruit as treats but I do buy in season which is cheaper whenever I can or when supermarkets are running special offers. For example I usually get a pack of easy peelers from Aldi for something like £1.19, got a pack of oranges instead for less than 90 p.

Do this often enough with a wide enough range it'll mount. Best of luck OP
iAngely
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Xanet)

First of all get rid of the fruit, there is nothing in fruit that isn't in vegetables and they are very expensive. If you do have to eat fruit every once in a while then resort to seasonal fruits instead because they will be cheaper. Buy frozen vegetables because they are cheaper and last longer; I very rarely buy fresh veg because it hardly lasts a week and it's rotten before I get to eat it all.

Halo Top ice cream is incredibly expensive. Can you not make your own ice cream at home or go without?

Update your spice cabinet, one jar of every spice, and instead of buying ready made sauces, make your own. Tinned tomatoes are cheap as well as passata and tomato paste; so that's most Italian dishes sorted as well as some Indian. When it comes to other Italian and Indian dishes that are milk based you will have the spices on hand to make them.

Make food in bulk and freeze/store so that you don't have to cook all of the time; I personally have lunch as my biggest meal of the day so I treat it as I would dinner, I also don't eat breakfast.

If you have any Indian/Asian shops near you then buy rice and spices in bulk; which will more often be cheaper too.

Look up recipes to make falafel at home, if it's cheaper to, and then freeze it for when you want it or forgo it entirely. I'm guessing you're vegetarian? Get some dried soy mince and use that to help bulk out your meals to let them last longer. Adding cheese to your meals will make them more filling.
Bernadette04
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I had to switch to a diabetic diet 6 months ago which involves me carefully watching my sugar intake.

One tip from my dietician over the winter was to switch from fresh fruit to tinned fruit, but to buy things like Aldi fruit cocktail, peaches, mandarin segments, pineapple in Natural Juice, but not syrup.

At 55p a tin they are good value with no waste, and while some fresh fruit can go off if left too long, a can a day of tinned fruit is just as good but with no waste and less expensive.

I was going to switch back to fresh fruit now spring has arrived, but won’t bother as I prefer the cost and no wastage.
Prefect1992
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dunno if this helps but I have lots of herb plants, chillies and bay leaf plants growing on my windowsill, you can dry most herbs in the oven and hang the chillies up to dry, you will have a pretty solid supply of herbs and spices this way (although you can't grow everything) you can order most of the plants online, they don't cost a terrific amount. (you can use rainwater to water them, so no irrigation costs)

I used to use about 4 tins of tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh chilli and garlic to make a sauce and then froze it
cost me about £1 and made roughly 5 portions worth of sauce, I used to serve it with supermarket own brand "value" spaghetti (costs about 25p a pack)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads