The Student Room Group

access to nursing and midwifery

hi there,

has anyone studied access to nursing and midwifery via distance learning and got into university without any problem?
how difficult was it.
I will like to study nursing at university but i am currently working and raising 2 kids. i will like to do the access course but i am worried about the work load.

could any one please give me a brief overview of what to expect while doing the course. Do u think i will benefit doing it in my local college or online learning.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by aderonke1
hi there,

has anyone studied access to nursing and midwifery via distance learning and got into university without any problem?
how difficult was it.
I will like to study nursing at university but i am currently working and raising 2 kids. i will like to do the access course but i am worried about the work load.

could any one please give me a brief overview of what to expect while doing the course. Do u think i will benefit doing it in my local college or online learning.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am a first year adult nursing student & did an access course at my local college to meet the entry requirements for university. Two student nurses in my cohort did distance learning access courses & said they found it challenging doing the work independently but found the tutors they were assigned helpful.
I personally chose to do the access course at my local college because I felt I needed the support & actual in-class teaching. I studied human physiology, chemistry, psychology & sociology and there was a mixture of assignments & exams.
I can only give you a general idea of what to expect as each college run their access course differently, I found it challenging but by starting assignments asap, using all the help and support available & trying my best I got on really well. I also found the teachers & other students really supportive.
I hope this helps a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by aderonke1
hi there,

how difficult was it.

Thanks in advance.

I would also echo what the member above has said. I too was in your situation last year as I wanted to do an access course but felt I had too many commitments at the time to do the full time course at college. I found out they did an evening class which meant I’ve still been able to work full time as well - although I wouldn’t recommend working full time 5 days a week alongside it, as it’s been really hard and I’ve had to drop my hours slightly (and I don’t even have children!).

Most of the other people on my course have children and we’ve all done well and had university offers, so it can be done, but you have to be motivated. Having the support of the other people on my course has been really motivational and beneficial so I would recommend choosing going to college to do your access rather than doing distance learning.
Reply 3
Original post by Jadeymp
I would also echo what the member above has said. I too was in your situation last year as I wanted to do an access course but felt I had too many commitments at the time to do the full time course at college. I found out they did an evening class which meant I’ve still been able to work full time as well - although I wouldn’t recommend working full time 5 days a week alongside it, as it’s been really hard and I’ve had to drop my hours slightly (and I don’t even have children!).

Most of the other people on my course have children and we’ve all done well and had university offers, so it can be done, but you have to be motivated. Having the support of the other people on my course has been really motivational and beneficial so I would recommend choosing going to college to do your access rather than doing distance learning.

Thanks for your opinion, I think i will go to my local college and probably reduce my hours of work.
Reply 4
I am currently doing acces to nursing course and I have to say it's really an intense course. Firslty, it seemed easy but later the workload was increasing and we have some work to submit every week. I do psychology, biology, sociology and research methods and it's 2 days a week so it's good if you work. my advice is to mange ur time well especially if u r a mother, it would be easy.. try do study or doing your work at least 2 hr a day it will be easier.
Reply 5
Original post by alb6
I am currently doing acces to nursing course and I have to say it's really an intense course. Firslty, it seemed easy but later the workload was increasing and we have some work to submit every week. I do psychology, biology, sociology and research methods and it's 2 days a week so it's good if you work. my advice is to mange ur time well especially if u r a mother, it would be easy.. try do study or doing your work at least 2 hr a day it will be easier.

Thanks for your reply, could you please tell me how many assignment were you doing per week and how many words.
Reply 6
it's not only assignments but also presentations or journals. word count are 1500-2000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending