The Student Room Group

Computer Science degree course - Student loan eligibility for graduates

Hello,

Is it possible to get a tuition fee loan if I already have a degree, for this course: Computer Science (Top Up) at the University of Hertfordshire?

Normally, under the Equivalent or Lower Qualifications (ELQs) policy, only students without degrees can get a tuition fee loan. But some STEM, part time courses are exempt from this requirement. Does this exemption apply to this Computer Science top up degree? If so, would I still get the loan if I studied the course full time?

Full course details here:
https://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-computer-science-top-up-online

Many thanks,

Chris Deakin
Original post by cbdeakin

Hello,

Is it possible to get a tuition fee loan if I already have a degree, for this course: Computer Science (Top Up) at the University of Hertfordshire?

Normally, under the Equivalent or Lower Qualifications (ELQs) policy, only students without degrees can get a tuition fee loan. But some STEM, part time courses are exempt from this requirement. Does this exemption apply to this Computer Science top up degree? If so, would I still get the loan if I studied the course full time?

Full course details here:
https://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/bsc-hons-computer-science-top-up-online

Many thanks,

Chris Deakin

Hi Chris,An Top Up course allows you to top up a previous completed course to a higher level such as a full BA or BSc. If I can just ask you a couple of questions.Are you looking to undertake a one year Top Up course on a full-time basis?What is the level of degree qualification that you already hold?Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Hello Rona,

I have an undergraduate degree (hons). I could study the course full time or part time. Would the loan only be available when studying part time?

Thanks,
Chris
Hello Rona,

I have an undergraduate degree (hons). I could study the course full time or part time. Would the loan only be available when studying part time?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

STEM is a set of courses (science, technology, engineering and mathematics).

From 2017/18, students are eligible to apply for second part time degree in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses.

Students could be eligible to receive support for a second qualification if studying for a part time Honours Degree, Joint Honours Degree or Integrated Masters Degree in one of the following.

Engineering (H)

Computer Science (I)

Technologies (J)

Subjects Allied to Medicine (B)

Biological Sciences (C)

Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects (D)

Physical Sciences (F)

Mathematical Sciences (G)

There are several courses which will fall into one of the categories listed.

To determine if the course would qualify as an exception it must begin with one or more of the following JACS Codes (H, I, J, B, C, D, F or G).

The JACS code is the unique identifier that SLC, UCAS and the HEP's use to distinguish courses.

If you check and your course code begins with one of these letters, you would be eligigible to apply for support for a second degree, if studied as a Part-time course only.

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Hello Rona,

Thanks for your reply. Would I need to contact UCAS or SLC to find out what the JACS code for a course is? Or, is this the same as the course code (G403)
found on the UCAS website?

Link here: https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=b2403bed-25fd-04c6-4055-cc241ce39d39

Thanks,
Chris
Hello Rona,

Thanks for your reply. Would I need to contact UCAS or SLC to find out what the JACS code for a course is? Or, is this the same as the course code (G403)
found on the UCAS website?

Link here: https://digital.ucas.com/courses/details?coursePrimaryId=b2403bed-25fd-04c6-4055-cc241ce39d39

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

The UCAS code and the JACS code are different. I'd recommend contacting the Uni directly, they'll normally be able to get the JACS code for you.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest