This discussion is closed.
Para James
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys,
So I've been on this site searching for a thorough insight and answer to my question for going on 4 years now. There are some similar questions being asked already, but none specific to mine.
So here goes.
I'm currently studying Paramedic Science at a very good university. After I qualify and pass my NQP stage, I was seriously aiming to study medicine at postgraduate level.

I know that on paper, it's a straight forward answer; get a 2:1 and go for postgrad?

However, i've got a Btec in Applied science and 2 A-levels : not exactly Med school material.
So, feeling a little deflated and out of ideas, i'de like to pose the question to you good people.

Do I go back to college, redo my chemistry A-level's and apply to med school even later?
Or will my current degree and life experience count to something and allow me some academic lee-way?
Do i apply to a university like Kings, who don't look at A levels ; however do i stand a chance?

I'm a highly motivated person both physically and mentally, i'm currently serving as a reservist Paratrooper in the British Army. So all the naysayers who think it will be too much work to even bother, I know how to work hard. ( Annoyingly i didn't in college)
Any responses would be greatly appreciated as this is something I've been dwelling on for years & is something i'm very passionate in pursuing.
Thank you guys in advance!
James
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are a few GEM courses that don't look at A-levels. I'll let you do the dog work in finding those who don't. I would say this is the most straight forward option.

Absolutely, your life experience is something that could be reflected upon in your application. No doubt it will have developed very positive traits that would be useful in a medical profession.

Also I feel the need to clarify that it's not postgraduate medicine, it's graduate entry medicine. Postgraduate medicine is what you do having already qualified as a doctor.
Para James
Rep:
?
Hello & thankyou for your reply,

Yes, apologies you're absolutely right about graduate entry opposed to postgraduate.

My only concern is that i wouldn't stand very much of a chance. Im guessing that you're somehow involved in this field, hence the advice.
What route do you think would would make it more likely for me to get on a course, regardless of the time requirements?

Regards
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Para James)
Hello & thankyou for your reply,

Yes, apologies you're absolutely right about graduate entry opposed to postgraduate.

My only concern is that i wouldn't stand very much of a chance. Im guessing that you're somehow involved in this field, hence the advice.
What route do you think would would make it more likely for me to get on a course, regardless of the time requirements?

Regards
Again probably graduate entry. If you graduate with a 2:1 you meet the minimum academic requirements and the rest is about character, values, experience etc.

In terms of competition ratios, yes GEM is more competitive, but your strengths are what these courses look for. Just focus on your course and get some medical work experience under your belt.
Para James
Rep:
?
Yeah you're right & thank you for the advice!!
Safia tirike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Quick question it’s been 2 years and I am practically in the same boat as you so I would love to know if you have found an answer to your question or if you got in?¿
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads