How can I achieve a grade 8/9 in GCSE Geography please?

Watch
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Now I’m horrible at this subject. But I really want to do well! My target is a Grade 7 but for both tests I got a Grade 4 and below half mark.

I don’t know how to answer 8,6,5 and 4 mark questions at all plus I find it difficult to study because I get so worried about the case studies and learning so much that I give up.

For past papers I can’t print them out and practice because my library charges a lot to print. Again more excuses...

I like making unfinished mind maps though. And getting paranoid that I will fail and my teacher would hate me even more and that I would fail again. I want to prove him wrong and show him that I can achieve a better grade(>_< )

So back to main topic...Any advice for doing extremely well in GCSE Geography? I have two more weeks until my GCSE Mocks and I realised that Geography is my weakest subject of all my other weak subjects.

The exam board I’m doing is Edexcel A and I’m in Year 10. I know I don’t need to stress as much but I WANT to do really well and build an organised study habit for Geography. It’ll be useful for Year 11.

Thank you so much in advance!
username3616984
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why do you have gcse mocks in year 10 in summer.What? Don’t you have them in year 11 winter?
max_dj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For past paper questions, it is not essential that you have to print them out. You can always write the question(s) and answer(s) on lined paper because at the end of the day it is the answer that matters.
thornsandroses1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by drovosek)
Why do you have gcse mocks in year 10 in summer.What? Don’t you have them in year 11 winter?
Sometimes year 10 end of year exams are called mocks
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Bump
tommy727
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Bump
How is your geography going now, your'e in year 11?
I've plenty of tips ( currently in year 11 and achieving grade 9s in mock geog papers with 90%+) more than happy to share
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What exam board is this? Im doing OCR A.
tommy727
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anthos)
What exam board is this? Im doing OCR A.
I do Eduqas A.., not sure what OP does.
Laboromniavincit
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any tips for paper 3 ? I am doing edexcel geography specification. B
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tommy727)
I've plenty of tips ( currently in year 11 and achieving grade 9s in mock geog papers with 90%+) more than happy to share
Share them tips!!
I need loads my geography grade is slipping! Was getting 6/7s now I'm getting 4s!!
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do you have coursework?
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
That's awesome! Unfortunately not that great as I truly don't know how to revise for the subject. All I did to "revise" for the Geogrpahy Year 11 Mock was rewrite what was in the revision guide which wasn't that helpful.

I'd really appreciate your tips please (>_< ) especially for fieldwork and UK challenges (paper 3)
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
(Original post by Deggs_14)
do you have coursework?
No not anymore
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
I do Eduqas A.., not sure what OP does.
I do Edexcel A
Laboromniavincit
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lala143)
Share them tips!!
I need loads my geography grade is slipping! Was getting 6/7s now I'm getting 4s!!
What exam board are you ?
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing OCR geography b
Kyra McKay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please help I’m in year 11 and I’m getting 5’s which is not okay and I’m totally panicking because I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong what I have to do to fix it. It’s not that I don’t understand the content(maybe that’s the case for natural landscapes) I do well in 3,4,8 and 12 marks but in the ocr exam papers a lot of the 6 mark questions appear and I screw it up big time. I don’t get it😭 it’s so frustrating and gcses are in less than 2 months
EDGELORD3000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there!

As someone who got a 9 in (Edexcel) Geography last year, I just wanted to share some of the things I did

1) ALWAYS LEARN YOUR CASE STUDIES!!
no matter how you try, you can't ever avoid memorising them (yes, every single statistic too) because the essay questions that exam boards usually ask about are case study related!
2) HAVE AN EXAM TECHNIQUE!
not sure about other exam boards, but edexcel had a CHUNKY 16 marker in paper 3! i quite liked it, but make sure you know how to tackle 8, 12 and 16 markers efficiently! (the 16 marker in paper 3 was 25% of the marks in that paper!)
3) PLEASE - and i cannot stress this enough- LEARN YOUR CONTENT!
with geography, most questions are based off AO1 (pure knowledge) so just learning that will boost your grade up!
4) CASE STUDIES CASE STUDIES CASE STUDIES
if you want to really succeed (to put it harshly) make sure you know everything inside out
axolotlaristotle
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did my geography GCSE last year (came out with a 9, much to my surprise after the second exam), and I most certainly have a few tips. I didn't continue the subject on to A-Level. Attempting to not sound cocky, I did receive a 9 in all my tests from year 10 and 11 (bar my first year 10 test, which I got a 6 in) and I have a few tips:

1) EXAM TECHNIQUE: I'm sure your teachers have gone over it, but make sure to do things like looking at how many marks questions are worth, making note of command words etc. If you often find yourself answering questions wrong, but have the knowledge - use the 'BUG the question' technique (Box the command word, Underline any key words, Glance back at the question while you're writing it).
2) CASE STUDIES: I personally made revision cards on the case studies. Make sure you condense them down to key info. It seems overwhelming there are at first, but when you look at them in detail, there's about 2 or 3 per topic and they are split in half as you have 1 human and 1 physical paper. If you're doing individual tests on the topics, these are the perfect opportunities to focus on the relevant case studies and (hopefully) remember them in isolation.
3) PROCESSES: Much like the case studies, this is about thoughtful revision. No reading out of textbooks. Make notes using the textbook and your class notes. Make sure they are condensed, colourful, whatever works for you.
4) FIELDWORK SKILLS/PAPER 3: This, if you do things right, will be the most basic paper of the three. Graphical skills are not generally above what you have covered in maths GCSE in terms of difficulty, its just a little more. My school handed out a booklet of info/practice questions, but essentially you'll just need to use the specification. The fieldwork questions should be the easy part. First tip is to actually go in the fieldwork trip. The unfortunate few who didn't from my school struggled immensely. Make sure you have a record of all the equipment you used, the methods you used, and make notes of the pros and cons surrounding the different aspects of your investigation. You especially need to make note of the difference between data collection and data presentation (RADAR graphs and carryon).

Good luck with your Geography GCSE. Admittedly, I did resent the subject a little by the time I finished the course. Essentially, revision is key. This isn't just revision of info, but revision of techniques. I hope this wasn't too long lol.

Axe : )
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a 9 in gcse geography last year and do A Level Geography and I did CIE Igcse and we had coursework. Don’t do a level geography 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (324)
56.15%
I don't have everything I need (253)
43.85%

Watched Threads