The Student Room Group

Single parent, distance learning (maintenance Loan and PLA)

I'm a single parent considering an Open University course to retrain while my daughter is young. My questions are:

Part-time Maintenance Loan - I don't have a disability but I do have extra care to consider for my daughter as she suffers with problematic asthma. As I am a single parent, this does impact my ability to attend a University - (hence the Open University) Can I apply?

PLA - Can I still apply for this if I apply Part-time to the OU? If so, is it pro-rated?

Thanks in advance,
Original post by Emmakate77
I'm a single parent considering an Open University course to retrain while my daughter is young. My questions are:

Part-time Maintenance Loan - I don't have a disability but I do have extra care to consider for my daughter as she suffers with problematic asthma. As I am a single parent, this does impact my ability to attend a University - (hence the Open University) Can I apply?

PLA - Can I still apply for this if I apply Part-time to the OU? If so, is it pro-rated?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Emmakate77,

Students studying Distance Learning at the Open University are eligible to apply for support

Open University courses as you are aware attract Part-Time funding.

You need to be studying at least 30 credits in the academic year (this equates to 25% Study Intensity)

Student Finance England students on a designated full time distance learning course are eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only, there are no additional grants for dependents.

From Academic Year 2018/19, new Student Finance England students studying a part time distance learning course due to a disability are able to apply for a Part Time Maintenance Loan (PTML) as you yourself do not have a disability, then unfortunately that would not apply.

As you will only be entitled to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only you should speak to your Benefits Office regarding any benefits you may be entitled to receive.

Regards Rona
Reply 2
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Emmakate77,

Students studying Distance Learning at the Open University are eligible to apply for support

Open University courses as you are aware attract Part-Time funding.

You need to be studying at least 30 credits in the academic year (this equates to 25% Study Intensity)

Student Finance England students on a designated full time distance learning course are eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only, there are no additional grants for dependents.

From Academic Year 2018/19, new Student Finance England students studying a part time distance learning course due to a disability are able to apply for a Part Time Maintenance Loan (PTML) as you yourself do not have a disability, then unfortunately that would not apply.

As you will only be entitled to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only you should speak to your Benefits Office regarding any benefits you may be entitled to receive.

Regards Rona

Thank you Rona, exactly what I needed to know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending