The Student Room Group

best a-levels for a career in mental health?

i was considering initially doing sociology, psychology and english lit for a-level however sociology doesn't appeal to me very much now and i'm thinking of either doing maths or geography (biology's kinda in the back of my mind too but it's probs my last option)
would i be at a disadvantage if i didn't do biology?
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i was considering initially doing sociology, psychology and english lit for a-level however sociology doesn't appeal to me very much now and i'm thinking of either doing maths or geography (biology's kinda in the back of my mind too but it's probs my last option)

Look at the entrance criteria for the degrees you are interested in. they will give you an idea of required A levels. I would think Chemistry, Biology, Psychology might be handy. Maths is ok as its considered a science and they like those. Just check against your top ten unis.
Original post by 999tigger
Look at the entrance criteria for the degrees you are interested in. they will give you an idea of required A levels. I would think Chemistry, Biology, Psychology might be handy. Maths is ok as its considered a science and they like those. Just check against your top ten unis.

thank you! i was thinking of doing maths, lit and psychology but i'm still undecided.
thank you! i was thinking of doing maths, lit and psychology but i'm still undecided.

Youd best check the entrance requirements for the degree you are interested in. Some with medicine aspects will require science, others like psychology will not.
Original post by 999tigger
Youd best check the entrance requirements for the degree you are interested in. Some with medicine aspects will require science, others like psychology will not.

a psychology degree is appealing to me more atm

I take it you don't have Health & Social Care open to you as an A-Level?

What kind of career would you hope for post uni.
I do biology psychology and sociology ! And I’d say definitely the most important one would be to do psychology as mental health is actually covered on the syllabus, it’s not mentioned in biology. Sociology isn’t really that relevant to mental health but it compliments psychology a lot making them both easier :smile:)
I’d say biology is only really important if you’re looking to do a medical degree at uni but for mental health work most people would do a psych degree
Original post by jestersnow
I take it you don't have Health & Social Care open to you as an A-Level?

What kind of career would you hope for post uni.

it's an a-level at my school but it didn't appeal to me hugely.
i'm not too sure yet, i was thinking mental health research or psychologist.

Original post by huntforalice
I do biology psychology and sociology ! And I’d say definitely the most important one would be to do psychology as mental health is actually covered on the syllabus, it’s not mentioned in biology. Sociology isn’t really that relevant to mental health but it compliments psychology a lot making them both easier :smile:)
I’d say biology is only really important if you’re looking to do a medical degree at uni but for mental health work most people would do a psych degree

thank you! a psych degree appeals to me more at this stage:smile: what's a-level biology like?
thank you! a psych degree appeals to me more at this stage:smile: what's a-level biology like?

I do OCR but I don’t think it makes that much of a difference between specs, there’s a lot of content compared to psychology and sociology so for me it’s the hardest one but I’m so glad I took it (it also overlaps with biological psychology) as it’s so interesting and once you understand the concepts it’s not too difficult just there is lots of it
it's an a-level at my school but it didn't appeal to me hugely.
i'm not too sure yet, i was thinking mental health research or psychologist.

I'd recommend Health and Social Care, as it will help you out if you want to be a psychologist, but if you're heart isn't it it might not be the best for you.
this is very helpful, thank you!

Point was there are various careers in MH and some of them require certain A levels, whilst others do not.

Notwithstanding this is American, then look at this link and you would have to find the UK equivalent.

https://www.learnhowtobecome.org/make-a-difference-careers/mental-health/
https://menstrualcupreviews.net/best-female-urination-devices-pee-funnels-reviews/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jestersnow
I'd recommend Health and Social Care, as it will help you out if you want to be a psychologist, but if you're heart isn't it it might not be the best for you.

i just feel like it wouldn't be one that'd help me get a degree or go to uni, and i'm hoping i can get some experience with care in the summer.

Original post by huntforalice
I do OCR but I don’t think it makes that much of a difference between specs, there’s a lot of content compared to psychology and sociology so for me it’s the hardest one but I’m so glad I took it (it also overlaps with biological psychology) as it’s so interesting and once you understand the concepts it’s not too difficult just there is lots of it

would it be a disadvantage if i didn't do biology alongside psychology?
would it be a disadvantage if i didn't do biology alongside psychology?

No not at all, most people don’t do both of them
I do biology, maths and psychology. I have applied to do psychology at university, and I think the fact i have both maths and biology helped me to get onto the courses, but maths is completely irreverent after the first year to psychology, and biology gives background for psychology. I did an AS level in lit, and it was honestly a waste of time. Generally, if you can do psychology as an A level, just chose others that you enjoy. Some people who go on to do psychology do art and English, others do chemistry and biology. Just do what you enjoy.
Original post by kbowler12
I do biology, maths and psychology. I have applied to do psychology at university, and I think the fact i have both maths and biology helped me to get onto the courses, but maths is completely irreverent after the first year to psychology, and biology gives background for psychology. I did an AS level in lit, and it was honestly a waste of time. Generally, if you can do psychology as an A level, just chose others that you enjoy. Some people who go on to do psychology do art and English, others do chemistry and biology. Just do what you enjoy.

thank you!:smile:

Look at the courses you would be thinking of doing at uni on the unis websites to see if theres any specific a-levels that they require.
Like someone else said- biology and phychology would probably be useful. Chemistry might also be. But check the unis websites before making any final decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest