The Student Room Group

English Creative Writing Opening

Hey guys,

I would like to know what is your opinion and what grade would you give based on this opening to my story:

"Dashed through the violent, frozen rains.

Panting with determination and heavily limping- only intensifying his purpose.

Grizzled grand master, had his destiny in front of him, yet shadowy rains did not resist his vision of his own son.

With each step he left a pressed crater in mire, reflecting his failed past abandoned behind him. Luke only perceived a darkish cloak flowing along with the vicious symphony of wind and storm but not the face of a boy he disheartened. His heart took colossal beats, begging to ferociously escape its owner but with no result. His temper has run out.

Abruptly he paused, gradually reaching his hand forward, Luke cried "Stop-my child!"

The roar of his voice, breathy yet so fearsome, echoed in his son's ear as if it was an agony from past times. The mystical energy hurled by Luke, made Ben stand still- no motion, no expression, no voice and no emotions within him. Soaked trees, grass, and colossal rocks abnormally repulsed; nothing could withstand his dominant power.

There were only two left- a father and a son."
Original post by gandalfhan
Hey guys,

I would like to know what is your opinion and what grade would you give based on this opening to my story:

"Dashed through the violent, frozen rains.

Panting with determination and heavily limping- only intensifying his purpose.

Grizzled grand master, had his destiny in front of him, yet shadowy rains did not resist his vision of his own son.

With each step he left a pressed crater in mire, reflecting his failed past abandoned behind him. Luke only perceived a darkish cloak flowing along with the vicious symphony of wind and storm but not the face of a boy he disheartened. His heart took colossal beats, begging to ferociously escape its owner but with no result. His temper had run out.

Abruptly he paused, gradually reaching his hand forward, Luke cried, "Stop- my child!"

The roar of his voice, breathy yet so fearsome, echoed in his son's ear as if it was an agony from past times. The mystical energy hurled by Luke, made Ben stand still- no motion, no expression, no voice and no emotions within him. Soaked trees, grass, and colossal rocks abnormally repulsed; nothing could withstand his dominant power.

There were only two left- a father and a son."

hiya. this is a pretty good opening language wise- you use a nice range of vocabulary and can express description. however, at some points i feel like the description's a little bit too much; maybe change the structures of your sentences as well as different things to focus on.
I feel like it's a little too vague - the reader has no idea what's happening. Of course I haven't read what goes after, so sorry if it's explained more then! As another user said, the description is a bit too complicated at some points, like the first long paragraph - it slows us down and ruins the suspense of the first few lines. But overall, it's a very good opening :smile: good luck
Gandalfhan, my main advice would be

(a) stop trying to be a "writer" and just tell us what's happening. Make it real, not writerly.
Here's a thing - the speechwriter of a former Prime Minister used to talk about 'passing the pub test'. Which meant, if he wrote a speech and he thought that nobody down his local pub would understand it, he started again. (replace the word "pub" here for "my less intelligent friend" and you get the idea. Don't make things too complicated. Real is better than "impressive" - always)

(b) when you use a lot of adjectives stacked up one on top of the other like this, you lose the power of them. It is better to use one, perfect image, than to use a lot. The mind cannot take in so much stuff at once. So focus on crafting one really good sentence, using one perfect adjective, and the image will stick with us. Hemingway was a master at this. His sentences are memorable because they are simple, but visual.

Good luck - and remember - good writing, is always about rewriting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending