The Student Room Group

ART,is it really a waste??

soo im going to choose my gcse and since nobody i know older has done art
I want to pick triple science and art but ppl i know said art is really time consuming and its going to stop me to do well in science
need help ASAP!!!:frown:

hally
(edited 6 years ago)
? Literally makes no sense
It’s not time consuming in my opinion, but it’s great. Coming from a GCSE and A-Level student.
Reply 3
Triple Science is actually really easy, it's just double with some harder topics thrown in.
Art isn't necessarily a waste, it's just a lot of work and, unless you're doing an art course, not the most useful subject in terms of applying to sixth form.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by goldenhally
soo im going to choose my gcse and since nobody i know older has done art
I want to pick triple but ppl i know said it it really time consuming so ik help
ASAP!!!:frown:

hally

Someone earlier today in TSR just made a thread about why GCSE Art should not be picked.

Multiple TSR users that picked GCSE art also agreed with him. By multiple I mean pages and pages, of GCSE students our age, saying the same thing. Apparently it drains the creativity of people. I'll try find it

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5117362
^Here it is. Oh and Triple Science is not hard at all, unless your a student that struggles to pass most subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Bill Nye
? Literally makes no sense

ok i fixed it:tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by TheAlchemistress
It’s not time consuming in my opinion, but it’s great. Coming from a GCSE and A-Level student.

Reply 7
At the time of choosing my GCSEs, I was not a very academic person and I chose Art because I was very good at it. I moved to the UK the summer before Year 9, and previously I attended a selective art school after my usual school 3 times a week. My dad made me choose Computer Science and I ended up loving it- it is now my favourite subject and I get 8/9 grades. Now I'm in Year 10 and I hate Art. I am very behind on my coursework and I still haven't finished a piece that was due 3 weeks ago. The fact that I'm a perfectionist might also be a factor... It's your choice.
I am in year 12 and chose art and triple science fast track (same amount of lessons as double science) and found art extremely stressful and time consuming. I managed to do well in all my sciences (A*, A*, A) and art (A*) and know plenty of other people who did well in them all as well. I would recommend only choosing art if you are creative as I know a lot of people in my class just gave up as they couldn't improve there skills, which frustrated them. Hope this helped.
My 2 cents is yes, I think it is a waste of an option. In reality, it has very little use for anything, and more importantly, it's probably almost never used again once it's taken in secondary education. You're either "good" at art, or you're not. Not sure what the point of lessons is, but then again, what do I know (obviously didn't take it).
Original post by hajima
Triple Science is actually really easy, it's just double with some harder topics thrown in.
Art isn't necessarily a waste, it's just a lot of work and, unless you're doing an art course, not the most useful subject in terms of applying to sixth form.

Are some of the topics even hard? Space? That is so easy.
Reply 11
Original post by Goldfish4343
Are some of the topics even hard? Space? That is so easy.

Titration is quite difficult, I find it difficult anyway and that's a Triple Chemistry topic I think.
Alcohols, carboxylic acids and esters are quite difficult too.
Apart from that, the Physics and Biology ones are relatively straight forward.
(edited 5 years ago)
what about if i want to do architecture as a uni course?
If you don't balance your time, everything is gonna feel like it takes up too much time.
Art has a lot of work to produce, but if you get the right material on paper you don't have to over compensate.

I loved doing art. It has given me other skills, not to mention a creative outlet that I can express my interested in a lot better.
Reply 14
From what I've read GCSE art can be a lot of work, but I'm sure that wouldn't be an issue if you'd really enjoy it!
Just a heads up if you're considering an art-based course in future (A-Levels/Uni) or just wanting to keep your options open - I only did Art at A-Level (my only art-based course as a whole) and am now going on to do Illustration at uni, so it won't necessarily impact your future choices if you decide against choosing it :smile:
If you enjoy art then it is not a waste, and a nice break from academic subjects I think. Yes you will get the most stress from art but my experience was 100% worth it (but only because I really really love art!!)

Workload is manageable if you are willing to put in a little bit of extra time along the way. I did triple science and art- art did not stop me doing well in science, as I got A*s in all of them (and art). It’s a step above other GCSEs though.

It was probably the most valuable gcse I got in developing who I was as a person. Art is the subject where you can have the most freedom in your work and decide what things you are interested in and how certain ideas make you feel. You can think of some really cool, deep ideas and take them virtually wherever you’d like. Might be a bit ott, but I think gcse art made me a better, more well rounded person. It also helped my time management skills !

But I stress that this is only my experience and the outcome of it was positive because of how important art is to me- if you are taking it because of something like having one less exam to revise for or you just like drawing sometimes, then it’s not for you.

Good luck :-)

Quick Reply

Latest