Exeter, Loughborough or Lancaster Watch

jats17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey,
I got admits to Exeter, Lancaster and Loughborough for MSc in Mechanical Engineering. Which one should I go for ?
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by jats17)
Hey,
I got admits to Exeter, Lancaster and Loughborough for MSc in Mechanical Engineering. Which one should I go for ?
definitely Loughborough, i'm surprised you even need to ask....
jats17
Rep:
?
Okay; Thanks.
Any specific reason for you to say Loughborough?
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
it probably wont make any difference. Lancaster is highest ranked but what matters is where you feel most comfortable. Can you visit to get a feel. If not try vitual tours or open days. Which course do you prefer. How far or near do you wish to be from home. Consider these factors on making your decision. What is right for one person isnt for another.
jats17
Rep:
?
The thing is I’m not a UK citizen, I’m an Indian settled in Dubai. So I think I’ll have to rely on a virtual tour. Lancaster has good course modules but Loughborough has good tie ups and is reputed for placements but at the same time Lancaster has a high graduate employability ranking.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The thing is I’m not a UK citizen, I’m an Indian settled in Dubai. So I think I’ll have to rely on a virtual tour. Lancaster has good course modules but Loughborough has good tie ups and is reputed for placements but at the same tim. It alsoe Lancaster has a high graduate employability ranking.
No one will know enough about the relative courses to be able to assist you. if your coming from Dubai Lancaster will be the coldest being the most northernly. Both are very small towns with campuses outside of towns. Exeter is probably the warmest and wetter being in the south west. it has the largest town centre although the city is still quite small. Based on your comments I suspect Lancaster will be the best for you but look at the virtual tours and come to your decision
jats17
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
No one will know enough about the relative courses to be able to assist you. if your coming from Dubai Lancaster will be the coldest being the most northernly. Both are very small towns with campuses outside of towns. Exeter is probably the warmest and wetter being in the south west. it has the largest town centre although the city is still quite small. Based on your comments I suspect Lancaster will be the best for you but look at the virtual tours and come to your decision
Okay, Thank you.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Okay, Thank you.
Sorry I didn't realise you weren't a British citizen.

definitely Loughborough.

In terms of the town, there isn't a huge difference between the 3 towns.

In terms of reputation, Loughborough is well renowned for its engineering department and sports department/facilities, whereas the other 2 are averagely-good universities across the board without any specialities
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)

definitely Loughborough.

In terms of reputation, Loughborough is well renowned for its engineering department and sports department/facilities, whereas the other 2 are averagely-good universities across the board without any specialities
Why are you bringing up sports science? The statement doesn't even reflect reality, in addition to its being wholly irrelevant to the OP's question.

And Loughborough is 210 in QS Eng & Tech ranking, behind Surrey and around Liverpool. It is hardly a world beater; all pretty much the same, except Exeter might have better international rep.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
[QUOTE=CollectiveSoul;76852720]Sorry I didn't realise you weren't a British citizen.

definitely Loughborough.

In terms of reputation, Loughborough is well renowned for its engineering department and sports department/facilities, whereas the other 2 are averagely-good universities across the board without any specialities[/QUOTE

Exeter has a population double the size of Loughborough and 3 times the size of Lancaster. Lancaster is higher in the complete university rankings generally and for mechanical engineering than Loughborough.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Why are you bringing up sports science? The statement doesn't even reflect reality, in addition to its being wholly irrelevant to the OP's question.

And Loughborough is 210 in QS Eng & Tech ranking, behind Surrey and around Liverpool. It is hardly a world beater; all pretty much the same, except Exeter might have better international rep.
if QS International league tables are a joke, based mainly on factors like research which are completely irrelevant to the undergraduate experience, otherwise Sheffield is a better university than Bath.

Loughborough has a reputation for sport, but it also has a reputation for Engineering which is apparent in it's exceedingly high employment prospects against other universities for that subject.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
[QUOTE=swanseajack1;76852888]

definitely Loughborough.

In terms of reputation, Loughborough is well renowned for its engineering department and sports department/facilities, whereas the other 2 are averagely-good universities across the board without any specialities[/QUOTE

Exeter has a population double the size of Loughborough and 3 times the size of Lancaster. Lancaster is higher in the complete university rankings generally and for mechanical engineering than Loughborough.
i just don't think you'd be comfortable with one town but not the other. it's not the difference between Birmingham and Aberystwyth.

as the OP said, Loughborough has strong industry links.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
if QS International league tables are a joke, based mainly on factors like research which are completely irrelevant to the undergraduate experience, otherwise Sheffield is a better university than Bath.

Loughborough has a reputation for sport, but it also has a reputation for Engineering which is apparent in it's exceedingly high employment prospects against other universities for that subject.
You seem to have fallen into the trap of thinking that because the courses are exceptional for Loughborough they must be exceptional per se and relative to everyone else's courses.

Loughborough's grad prospects, according to CUG, are 92 compared to Lancaster's 96 and Exeter's 88. Bristol's is 82 and Edinburgh is 86. Which Uni's year of stats has it: 95 for Loughborough, 97 for Lancaster and 97 for Exeter. Loughborough's employer reputation, for Eng & Tech, QS is 61.7, Exeter is 62.5. Lancaster is 57.8. Selectiveness: Lanchester has 392 avg. UCAS points, Loughborough 409 and Exeter 437. LEO data shows median salary 5 years post-graduation: Loughborough £35,800, Exeter £34,200, Lancaster £29,300. Bear in mind, Leicester is £39,300, Bournemouth is £39,800. So Loughborough is by no means "exceedingly high".

Your ****-sure answer is entirely misguided and OP should take this into account. There is no clear winner out of the three and OP should choose whichever they think they will enjoy the most.
jats17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
You seem to have fallen into the trap of thinking that because the courses are exceptional for Loughborough they must be exceptional per se and relative to everyone else's courses.

Loughborough's grad prospects, according to CUG, are 92 compared to Lancaster's 96 and Exeter's 88. Bristol's is 82 and Edinburgh is 86. Which Uni's year of stats has it: 95 for Loughborough, 97 for Lancaster and 97 for Exeter. Loughborough's employer reputation, for Eng & Tech, QS is 61.7, Exeter is 62.5. Lancaster is 57.8. Selectiveness: Lanchester has 392 avg. UCAS points, Loughborough 409 and Exeter 437. LEO data shows median salary 5 years post-graduation: Loughborough £35,800, Exeter £34,200, Lancaster £29,300. Bear in mind, Leicester is £39,300, Bournemouth is £39,800. So Loughborough is by no means "exceedingly high".

Your ****-sure answer is entirely misguided and OP should take this into account. There is no clear winner out of the three and OP should choose whichever they think they will enjoy the most.
Thanks a ton for this detailed comparison. Will take your advice on choosing the one which I like the most.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey,
Have you looked at the modules, and seen which ones appeal to you the most?

Loughborough is generally considered to be quite good for engineering. I don't really know anything about the other two (and, in fact, Loughborough either, other than it being generally considered to be quite good for engineering).

As you're an international students, what would the fees be like?
jats17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Have you looked at the modules, and seen which ones appeal to you the most?

Loughborough is generally considered to be quite good for engineering. I don't really know anything about the other two (and, in fact, Loughborough either, other than it being generally considered to be quite good for engineering).

As you're an international students, what would the fees be like?
As a matter of fact I did look at the modules, I really liked Lancaster’s module better. The fees are 19000 pounds per annum.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As a matter of fact I did look at the modules, I really liked Lancaster’s module better. The fees are 19000 pounds per annum.
Consider Lancaster then - are the fees the same for all of the universities?
jats17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
Consider Lancaster then - are the fees the same for all of the universities?
Yeah, in the same range.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yeah, in the same range.
Everything you say suggests Lancaster is the place for you
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yeah, in the same range.
In that case, I agree with swanseajack1. If you most prefer the modules at Lancaster, and the courses are the same price, then it would probably be best to go there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed