This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

M482 - Iraq war Motion, The PoliticalGuy

This House recognises that:

(1) the the UK's military intervention in Iraq was necessary to preserve world peace and to save the people of Iraq from their brutal oppressor, Saddam Hussein

(2) the Iraq inquiry was indeed a false and incredibly biased report in an attempt to undermine the greatness of Tony Blair

(3) the claims that the Iraq war was for the purpose of obtaining oil are false and those who make such allegations are conspiracy thoerists

(4) Tony Blair was the best Prime minister the UK has ever had

This house also urges the government to build a statue of Tony Blair outside the Palace of Westminster in acknowledgement of the greatness he has achieved for our country.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
absolutely bloody not
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean, 1,2, and 4 are all false
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay. This motion is extremely silly. World peace was not significantly threatened by Iraq, we had no right to invade a foreign country and proceed to mess it up in the way we did (i.e., totally mismanage the post-Saddam transition, ultimately paving the way for the rise of Da'esh); and Tony Blair is objectively not the best prime minister we have ever had. While he was certainly not the worst and by all accounts, illegal war aside, did a reasonably okay job, he did not make the social or constitutional progress he should have done (we should have had both gay marriage and an elected House of Lords by the end of his premiership imo), and he failed almost completely to move Britain to a fairer economic system.
WobblyBovine
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. Completely and utterly nay.
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Iraq war was necessary and justified to protect the Iraqi people from their brutal oppressor, Saddam Hussein. Tony Blair is the greatest PM.

THIS IS THE EASIEST AYE EVER!!!
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. The Iraq war was a terrible mistake. We should not be helping the US cause trouble in the Middle East and destabilise it.
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
absolutely bloody not
(Original post by JellyMilk)
No. Completely and utterly nay.
Why? Because you are against protecting the world from evil.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I mean, 1,2, and 4 are all false
They are not at all false. 4 you could argue but the other two points are blatant fact.

(Original post by Dafios9128)
No. The Iraq war was a terrible mistake. We should not be helping the US cause trouble in the Middle East and destabilise it.
How was it a mistake? It was an accomplished mission that allowed the Iraqi people to be liberated and to participate in a democracy.
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
Nay. This motion is extremely silly. World peace was not significantly threatened by Iraq, we had no right to invade a foreign country and proceed to mess it up in the way we did (i.e., totally mismanage the post-Saddam transition, ultimately paving the way for the rise of Da'esh); and Tony Blair is objectively not the best prime minister we have ever had. While he was certainly not the worst and by all accounts, illegal war aside, did a reasonably okay job, he did not make the social or constitutional progress he should have done (we should have had both gay marriage and an elected House of Lords by the end of his premiership imo), and he failed almost completely to move Britain to a fairer economic system.
So when innocent people are being slaughtered by their own leader and the people are crying for our help, we should ignore them because "we had no right to". Iraq has been liberated and now the people are free. You can argue however much you like about Tony Blair not being the best prime minster , I can't force you to believe something that you clearly disagree with but you can't deny his achievements while in office. He almost completely abolished the in-work poverty and provided a sustainable and coherent platform for small businesses to grow, allowing our economy to proper.

I will let you decide on this motion.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sections 1.) and 3.) get my support; 2.) and 4.) and the addendum do not.

Abstain.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Sections 1.) and 3.) get my support; 2.) and 4.) and the addendum do not.

Abstain.
1 is true? da*** are you on?
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
1 is true? da*** are you on?
Saddam did gas Kurdish kids with chemical weapons, which is, you know, banned by international law and was ****ing ratified by Saddam’s own government in the 90s.

Under the context of the UN’s R2P initiative, I would argue that is just cause for the war on humanitarian grounds regardless of the dodgy dossier.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everything has bias. Everything. To call an inquiry false is a matter of opinion. That leaves 2 redundant.

4 is not something requiring legislature. It is an empty statement of opinion.

The last sentence is a separate issue.

Remove those bits and you have a credible motion, a debate on which might prove interesting.

Otherwise, no.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Saddam did gas Kurdish kids with chemical weapons, which is, you know, banned by international law and was ****ing ratified by Saddam’s own government in the 90s.

Under the context of the UN’s R2P initiative, I would argue that is just cause for the war on humanitarian grounds regardless of the dodgy dossier.
However on the humanitarian basis we recolonise Africa and the first half of the statement is totally false as it has cause harm to world peace in a big way
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure whether this is meant seriously, but much like the 'war crimes' stuff it stops us having a proper discussion of the achievements and the shortcomings of the Iraq War.
username3509752
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lmao what a motion
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lol, No.

If this is supposed to be a joke then I must say it is an incredibly **** one.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, I think ThePoliticalGuy just likes Blair
username3796922
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
May, for all the reasons outlined by my honourable friend.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lol no :lol:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.89%
I'm not sure (32)
4.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.29%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (327)
47.81%

Watched Threads