The Student Room Group

Please please someone help!

Hi I wondered if someone could help me. I’m having a complete nightmare if I’m being honest.

A quick overview of me:

I’m in Upper Sixth so I’m taking my a-levels in about 2 months time. I’ve got uni offers with very high grades which I’ve accepted.

However my work in my a levels has been significantly hindered over the last year and a half.

Last year for the second half of my lower sixth year I suffered from severe glandular fever. This made me extremely exhausted all the time and I found that I was not concentrating on lessons and so I got behind.

Then this October, my grandad passed away and again, this significantly affected my concentration levels.

Finally, this February my mum decided to leave my dad and get a divorce and it’s turned so hostile. This last one is really affecting me now as I try to revise over the holidays. Not only is the environment at home constantly on edge due to the constant arguing but it’s also having a psychological effect on me and my concentration.

All of these things combined have had a very significant impact on my A levels. I know it sounds really pathetic but these things have been emotionally draining and have genuinely had a large impact on my ability to work and keep on top of my subjects.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do about it?
Should I contact my universities and let them know of my unfortunate circumstances?
Should I contact exam boards and try to apply for mitigating circumstances (I don’t know much about this but I don’t know if I fit the “criteria”)?

I can’t speak to my mum about this as she will feel so guilty for leaving my dad and feeling like it’s her fault. I can’t speak to my dad cuz he will blame my mum. And I don’t particularly want to talk about it to teachers as school as I feel a bit pathetic and feel like I’ll just be seen as begging for unnecessary help.

I’m so stuck what to do!

My exam boards are AQA and OCR if that helps and my firm uni is Cambridge and my insurance is Durham.

I’m just so worried what will happen if I miss my grades because I have no idea what my Home situation will be like next year and it terrifies me and when I try to work it’s all I can think about.

Posted as anonymous because I’m quite embarrassed about the whole situation and about the fact I’m kicking up a fuss but I would appreciate ANY advice anyone could give me!

Sorry for the essay

Thanks in advance
Honestly you’ve had quite an eventful couple of years, I’m so sorry to hear that 😞 and my advice to you is talk to someone in your 6th form like the Head of the 6th Form or if you have a careers advisor talk to them. They will be able to guide you in the right direction in what to do. You will probably pass for some kind of exception circumstance
Original post by Becci166
Honestly you’ve had quite an eventful couple of years, I’m so sorry to hear that 😞 and my advice to you is talk to someone in your 6th form like the Head of the 6th Form or if you have a careers advisor talk to them. They will be able to guide you in the right direction in what to do. You will probably pass for some kind of exception circumstance

We don’t have a careers advisor/head of sixth form ):

Also I honestly don’t know how to explain it to any of my teachers without looking like I’m desperate for them to help me get mitigating circumstances because yes that is what I think I deserve because I know how much I’ve been affected but because these issues are mainly psychological I don’t know if they’d understand.
Reply 3
Generally,if the exam boards are informed about your circumstances, even if psychological, they will be sympathetic and give you some sort of advantage.Furthermore, if Unis have proof of the events that led to you becoming psychologically distressed they may even give you a bit if leeway and lower your offers.
It all depends on the circumstances, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I can ask my careers teacher more about this and give you a clearer answer, but you should act quick on this, even if it is just emailing the exam board.
Don't feel as if you are overreacting because many people have gone through tough times before their exams and many exam boards have had to help them out, so it wont be anything new to them.
Original post by anonymous4444
We don’t have a careers advisor/head of sixth form ):

Also I honestly don’t know how to explain it to any of my teachers without looking like I’m desperate for them to help me get mitigating circumstances because yes that is what I think I deserve because I know how much I’ve been affected but because these issues are mainly psychological I don’t know if they’d understand.

Go to the teacher you trust the most and just go to them and say you’re concerned because you’ve had all this stuff going on and you think it’s really affected your A Levels, if you do this then they should know where to lead you and what you need to do
Original post by nazzyy!
Generally,if the exam boards are informed about your circumstances, even if psychological, they will be sympathetic and give you some sort of advantage.Furthermore, if Unis have proof of the events that led to you becoming psychologically distressed they may even give you a bit if leeway and lower your offers.
It all depends on the circumstances, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I can ask my careers teacher more about this and give you a clearer answer, but you should act quick on this, even if it is just emailing the exam board.
Don't feel as if you are overreacting because many people have gone through tough times before their exams and many exam boards have had to help them out, so it wont be anything new to them.

Do you think I should go through my teachers or just do it myself?
I’d ask for advice from my parents but I can’t!
I just feel so alone and helpless, as pathetic as it may seem.
I just want to get this sorted so I can just focus on revision as much as possible.
Reply 6
I would suggest to got to someone in your school, a teacher that you know will be reasonable.
Alternatively, you can go to your GP and explain your situation and they may write your school a letter regarding your psychological distress and then your school will address the situation accordingly by notifying exam boards and universities.
I honestly don't think your being over-reactive, its a real issue you are facing and its tough.
It's really worth informing someone as you may get a 5% advantage, or unis may look at your past work.
I would really appreciate it if anyone has any further views on this?
I'm so grateful for the advice already given but I would just like some other views?
Only your school can really approach either the exam board or the universities, so you really need to talk to someone at school. Who wrote your reference for UCAS? That would probably be the best person to approach. Also, going to see your GP might be helpful because they might then write a letter which your school could use when it approaches the exam board or unis.

You really sound like you need to talk to someone anyway, as you are going through a difficult time, and we all need help and support at different times in our lives - the wise thing is to go and find that help when we need it.

Quick Reply

Latest