I’m scared I’m going to fail English language gcse 2018:((

Watch
Aleshadavis2611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys so im super worried about my GCSEs but I feel fairly confident for maths however the one thing that is stopping me for my courses at a level is ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!!!! I honestly find it so impossible especially because the sources/ extract can literally be anything and I bet it will be one I can’t understand or can find much language techniques to langauge! It honestly scares me so much because I fail I’m doomed in my mocks I got a 3= I didn’t really revise for it, but still and on paper 2 q5 I always get no more than 12 marks it’s so hard (( everyone says watch mr bruff videos but I don’t think it’s effective enough to actually help me obtain my grade 4 (would aim higher but at this rate I don’t think I will even scrape a 4) does anyone have any effective tips for Lang that have boosted ur grade????? Please help english language is the one gcse I’m terrified for.
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Revise key terminology. Language features such as metaphor, simile, hyperbole, personification etc. Also, revise structural features: colon, semi colon, hyphen etc. Then you will be able to identify them in extracts and analyse them, you have to know what to look for.

As for creative writing (section B), aim for 3 different language and structural features per paragraph. It shows the examiner you are familiar with a variety of techniques and you will gain credit fot it. You will also have a benchmark to aim for while using this method.

Hope this helps
dont know it
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aleshadavis2611)
Hey guys so im super worried about my GCSEs but I feel fairly confident for maths however the one thing that is stopping me for my courses at a level is ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!!!! I honestly find it so impossible especially because the sources/ extract can literally be anything and I bet it will be one I can’t understand or can find much language techniques to langauge! It honestly scares me so much because I fail I’m doomed in my mocks I got a 3= I didn’t really revise for it, but still and on paper 2 q5 I always get no more than 12 marks it’s so hard (( everyone says watch mr bruff videos but I don’t think it’s effective enough to actually help me obtain my grade 4 (would aim higher but at this rate I don’t think I will even scrape a 4) does anyone have any effective tips for Lang that have boosted ur grade????? Please help english language is the one gcse I’m terrified for.
^^ Do what was said above and also don't focus on what might happen after your exams but rather do what you can before it. I and a lot of other people when we did our Gcse's a few years ago thought we had done abysmally but ended up doing pretty decently. I'm not great at English myself but application is the most important part of every subject and it becomes easier the more you repeat something. So by reading more extracts(even newspapers) and analysing them, you should do well.
Aleshadavis2611
Rep:
?
(Original post by dont know it)
^^ Do what was said above and also don't focus on what might happen after your exams but rather do what you can before it. I and a lot of other people when we did our Gcse's a few years ago thought we had done abysmally but ended up doing pretty decently. I'm not great at English myself but application is the most important part of every subject and it becomes easier the more you repeat something. So by reading more extracts(even newspapers) and analysing them, you should do well.
Yeah I guess I should go in the exam with a postitve attitude rather than thinking about the outcome. However I’ve been told the grade boundaries are gonna go up so around like 90 marks for a grade 4 when I only got like 66
Aleshadavis2611
Rep:
?
(Original post by Assembly)
Revise key terminology. Language features such as metaphor, simile, hyperbole, personification etc. Also, revise structural features: colon, semi colon, hyphen etc. Then you will be able to identify them in extracts and analyse them, you have to know what to look for.

As for creative writing (section B), aim for 3 different language and structural features per paragraph. It shows the examiner you are familiar with a variety of techniques and you will gain credit fot it. You will also have a benchmark to aim for while using this method.

Hope this helps
Thank you for replying!!!
For section B what do you mean structural features per para?
And In my last mock I did mention hyperbolic language etc!! Yet I still got 2 out of 8 I feel like I’m honestly hopeless at English language and I’ve also been told the grade boundaries are gonna be higher which makes me even more panicky!
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for replying!!!
For section B what do you mean structural features per para?
And In my last mock I did mention hyperbolic language etc!! Yet I still got 2 out of 8 I feel like I’m honestly hopeless at English language and I’ve also been told the grade boundaries are gonna be higher which makes me even more panicky!
In section B, examiners look for a variety of both structural and language features used with technical accuracy. To meet this criteria, a good structure to follow for each paragraph is to use three different structural features per paragraph to display your knowledge of grammar; so perhaps use a semi-colon, a hyphen and brackets in one paragraph to show you're familiar with a variety of structural features. Combine this with three language features; perhaps a metaphor, a simile and personification in the same paragraph to display your knowledge of language techniques.

For example, say you're told to describe a photo in section B. There are grey clouds in the photo. You could say "a legion of angry ashen clouds raced through the sky as an army storms a field - casting a grim visage over the lonely earth below". There is alliteration, metaphor, simile and personification in one sentence combined with a hyphen (dash). There is 1/3 structural features and 4/3 language features. In my next sentences, I should focus on using two more structural features to show i'm not limited in terms of grammar and then move on to the next paragraph and repeat.

The same philosophy applies for all questions in section B, article writing etc. As long as you show the examiner you know a variety of structural and language techniques, you're good to go.

Don't stress yourself out. Do what you can now and make the best of the easter holidays and study leave. revise hard but revise smart, 45 minutes of flashcards (memory retention) is better than 1 hour minutes of mindless note making (in my opinion). Perhaps you can use the flascards to learn terminology and apply that knowledge to extract questions in past exam papers. Find what revision technique works best for you and milk it.

As for the hyperbole comment, make sure you make insightful interpretations. Do point out the hyperbole, but make sure you have something to say about it; "perhaps the hyperbole utilised by... reflects a hidden sense of insecurity as he fails to comprehend the situation - instead resorting to empty hyperbole to reflect his profound shock". Examiners reward developed interpretations, rather than "the hyperbole used shows he is shocked and confused".

Best of luck!
dont know it
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I guess I should go in the exam with a postitve attitude rather than thinking about the outcome. However I’ve been told the grade boundaries are gonna go up so around like 90 marks for a grade 4 when I only got like 66
The grade boundaries depend on the results of everyone in the country. If the exam is harder than the previous, it will most likely go down. They aren't set prior to the exam. Chances are, if you found the paper hard, everyone else will too, and so the boundaries in general will be lower. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Cannon1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hello guys i was wondering in English lang paper 2 q 1 if i wrote the whole content in my own words i wouldn't miss any points right ? besides will this get me to the top band ?
Cannon1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
right ?
Cannon1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
btw are you doing aqa cie or edexcel ? im doing 0500 cie
Bellabobs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I feel the same. I used to be fairly good at English but now I don’t get above a 4 :// but only recently have I found out that you don’t need to find things such as metaphors, similes, Alliteration but you can actually chose one word and talk about its effect. You just need to know word classes ( adverb, adjective, abstract noun etc..) and you need to give lots of interpretations. I spoke to an aqa examiner and they said that you get higher marks for doing this !! so if you can’t find terminology uses within the text don’t panic just choose a certain word.

Write a little summary about the text(s) you are given so that you fully understand them because they like to give weird ones sometimes so you need to know exactly wants going on in it.

For the structure question go through the text and for each paragraph write next to it want the focus is on. Use vocab such as ‘the focus sharply shifts from .. to ... which creates the effect ....’ , ‘ the perspective changes from ... to ....’ ‚ ‘the pace quickens...’ , ‘ the character is introuduced at this point in the extract because...’ - make sure you go through the text chronologically like a story from start, middle to end.

The creative writing part can be improved by widening vocabulary. Learn new exciting adjectives , search up on google ‘images to describe’ and describe each image in the most unique way as possible using metaphors and others effective devices. But it needs to flow naturally and not seemed forced like you’ve thought ‘ohh I haven’t used a simile in a while better stick that in!’ Because examiners KNOW.

My last bit of advice is to read the mark schemes and see what the examiners want to see in your writing.

Best of luck to you and don’t feel stressed or alone because thousands of us in the uk are feeling the same, we can do this !!!! )))
Aleshadavis2611
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cannon1)
btw are you doing aqa cie or edexcel ? im doing 0500 cie
Im doing aqa I suggest going through a past paper and looking on the mark scheme to see what the examiner looks for
Aleshadavis2611
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bellabobs)
I feel the same. I used to be fairly good at English but now I don’t get above a 4 :// but only recently have I found out that you don’t need to find things such as metaphors, similes, Alliteration but you can actually chose one word and talk about its effect. You just need to know word classes ( adverb, adjective, abstract noun etc..) and you need to give lots of interpretations. I spoke to an aqa examiner and they said that you get higher marks for doing this !! so if you can’t find terminology uses within the text don’t panic just choose a certain word.

Write a little summary about the text(s) you are given so that you fully understand them because they like to give weird ones sometimes so you need to know exactly wants going on in it.

For the structure question go through the text and for each paragraph write next to it want the focus is on. Use vocab such as ‘the focus sharply shifts from .. to ... which creates the effect ....’ , ‘ the perspective changes from ... to ....’ ‚ ‘the pace quickens...’ , ‘ the character is introuduced at this point in the extract because...’ - make sure you go through the text chronologically like a story from start, middle to end.

The creative writing part can be improved by widening vocabulary. Learn new exciting adjectives , search up on google ‘images to describe’ and describe each image in the most unique way as possible using metaphors and others effective devices. But it needs to flow naturally and not seemed forced like you’ve thought ‘ohh I haven’t used a simile in a while better stick that in!’ Because examiners KNOW.

My last bit of advice is to read the mark schemes and see what the examiners want to see in your writing.

Best of luck to you and don’t feel stressed or alone because thousands of us in the uk are feeling the same, we can do this !!!! )))
thank you so much!! i just know the extract is going to be so hard to analyse and the grade boundires are gonna be like 90 marks for a grade 4 when i only get 66 marks. i realy need to pass english language for sixth form
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.93%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.79%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.61%

Watched Threads