The Student Room Group

National 5 Geography 2017/2018

Hi everyone!

I couldn't find a thread for nat 5 Geography so I decided to make one.

How is everyone finding the course? Personally I enjoy it, but I'm finding it really difficult to memorise everything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stefbear
Hi everyone!

I couldn't find a thread for nat 5 Geography so I decided to make one.

How is everyone finding the course? Personally I enjoy it, but I'm finding it really difficult to memorise everything.

What topics is everyone studying for geography this year?

Spoiler

Can't believe its tomorrow!!
Land conflict is fine with tourists v farmers and tourists v locals but does anyone know if there's any arguments without tourists? My friend says there's locals v industry and locals v farming but I've never heard of those. Any help?
Reply 3
Original post by abigail-ww
Can't believe its tomorrow!!
Land conflict is fine with tourists v farmers and tourists v locals but does anyone know if there's any arguments without tourists? My friend says there's locals v industry and locals v farming but I've never heard of those. Any help?

unfortunately i haven't been taught any without tourists, but we've went over tourists v industry and tourists v tourists if you want any more information on them? if not, no worries! wish i could be more helpful. :smile:

how are you feeling for tomorrow? i want to say i'm ready but i'm still really nervous for it.
Original post by nbhdx
unfortunately i haven't been taught any without tourists, but we've went over tourists v industry and tourists v tourists if you want any more information on them? if not, no worries! wish i could be more helpful. :smile:

how are you feeling for tomorrow? i want to say i'm ready but i'm still really nervous for it.

This is going to sound smug but... I'm not nervous. I've asked my family not to discuss it around me. I've revised everything and it's probably my best subject - definitely not feeling the same way for maths though
Good luck for tomorrow everyone! Try and get a decent nights sleep if you can, and just do your best! :smile:

Spoiler

You get conflict between quarry’s(industry’s) and residents. making too much noise, ruining the landscape and spreading dust everywhere
How did you all find the exam this afternoon?
Original post by Labrador99
How did you all find the exam this afternoon?

It was not bad! Harder than the 2017 past paper, however. Glad it's over tbh, I hate remebering all the points for geog
Hardest paper yet seems to be the general opinion , especially surrounding a question that was cut out of the course about vegetation in rainforest and tundra (check twitter, people are annoyed) - even our teachers were angry and shocked. But overall, I thought it was a really good paper, probably because geography is my strongest subject. I only got the vegetation question because I've done related stuff in biology surrounding wind pollination and adaption
i thought the paper was alright apart from the last question. my teacher kept saying before it will either be causes, effects and solutions yet they asked us about vegetation. i think i’ve got a few marks from guessing like the fan plant was to wash rain off the plant. our teachers we pretty angry since they had taken it off the course but hopefully they’ll change the pass mark.
Reply 11
I think it went pretty well! There were a couple of questions I hadn't revised well enough for, but apart from that it was good.
I say we start a petition about vegetation in the geography paper
Original post by FFFFFFF2299
I say we start a petition about vegetation in the geography paper

It will not make any difference, other than reducing your revision time for your next exam.
my mind went blank on the supermarket question. i had revised advantages and disadvantages for out of town shopping centres so i used some of those points like cheaper land. i was so happy it was a spit as that isn’t what i revised the most. anyone know when the paper goes on the website?
Original post by jenna2210
anyone know when the paper goes on the website?

It usually varies. Should definitely be there by some point in August (maybe September), but some years some of the papers appear during summer. It's very unlikely it will be in the immediate weeks though.
Original post by jenna2210
my mind went blank on the supermarket question. i had revised advantages and disadvantages for out of town shopping centres so i used some of those points like cheaper land. i was so happy it was a spit as that isn’t what i revised the most. anyone know when the paper goes on the website?

same!! I said :
- cheap land
- near houses so local customers
- near main road for easy access
- steep land could be difficult to build on
- national trail nearby could see it as sight pollution
- building affects nearby wildlife in non-coniferous wood with noise pollution etc
Original post by abigail-ww
same!! I said :
- cheap land
- near houses so local customers
- near main road for easy access
- steep land could be difficult to build on
- national trail nearby could see it as sight pollution
- building affects nearby wildlife in non-coniferous wood with noise pollution etc

all i wrote was cheaper land so they can buy more, less pollution because it’s far away from the CBD and there isn’t any public transport near so would only attract customers that could drive. i was way too tired by this point.
Wow! Geography is my best subject but I found that today was quite hard! What did you you put for the social and economic factors question?
Original post by Goobybo
Wow! Geography is my best subject but I found that today was quite hard! What did you you put for the social and economic factors question?

for social i chose the amount of births and just talked about high birth rate and low birth rate for example i said ‘High birth rate indicates it is a developing country because they have low access to contraception and family planning. For economic i chose GNI and said if it was high it meant higher paying jobs so better standard of living.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending