Medical Physiology and Therapeutics (Nottingham) or Medical Biochemistry (Swansea)?

Watch this thread
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I applied to Medicine for 2018 at some universities and didn't get a single interview. Yes, I was distraught and very upset, but all of the universities I applied to bar Swansea gave me alternative courses, which they then amusingly gave me unconditional offers for.

Swansea and Nottingham are the only universities that do Graduate Entry Medicine from the ones I have offers for, so I'll focus on those for now. Nottingham gave me an unconditional for Medical Physiology and Therapeutics. Swansea gave me AAB for Medical Biochemistry. They also give academic scholarships for AAB or above.

Out of those two, which would you say I should go to? I very much like both cities, and they lifestyles they offer (especially the outdoorsy nature of Swansea) and I'm also aware that Nottingham's course is more tailored towards "Medicine" whereas Swansea is a bit more general.

Bristol, my favourite of the universities I applied to, gave me one for Virology and Immunology. However, they don't do GEM as far as I know.

Should I consider this? I need some opinions on this matter, maybe some people who are on these courses that were in a similar situation to me.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fractite)
I applied to Medicine for 2018 at some universities and didn't get a single interview. Yes, I was distraught and very upset, but all of the universities I applied to bar Swansea gave me alternative courses, which they then amusingly gave me unconditional offers for.

Swansea and Nottingham are the only universities that do Graduate Entry Medicine from the ones I have offers for, so I'll focus on those for now. Nottingham gave me an unconditional for Medical Physiology and Therapeutics. Swansea gave me AAB for Medical Biochemistry. They also give academic scholarships for AAB or above.

Out of those two, which would you say I should go to? I very much like both cities, and they lifestyles they offer (especially the outdoorsy nature of Swansea) and I'm also aware that Nottingham's course is more tailored towards "Medicine" whereas Swansea is a bit more general.

Bristol, my favourite of the universities I applied to, gave me one for Virology and Immunology. However, they don't do GEM as far as I know.

Should I consider this? I need some opinions on this matter, maybe some people who are on these courses that were in a similar situation to me.
It doesn't matter if a uni does GEM or not as you can apply to any uni that does GEM. You don't have to stay where you did your first degree. Choose the course that interests you more rather than get into debt for something you don't really care about. Your final grade matters not what exactly you studied as long as it's relevant.
Iamflorence
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi Love,
I was sort of in the same position during clearing last year.
However, I was deciding between medical physiology & therapeutics AND medical science (I think) at Swansea. Research a bit more, because Swansea offers you a low Gamsat score when applying to there GEM course. They have a like a legit pathway.
I didn’t like the whole Wales idea because I am from London and the idea of another country was a no no for me, so I went with MPT. Nottingham is the greenest campus in U.K. and hands down it is the PENGEST. Like It is beautiful.
My first year has been really chilled.
Rosstafa
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I currently study medical biochemistry at Swansea, and am amoung the first cohort to partake in swansea’s feeder pathway into GEM. As a medical biochemist you have to maintain a first year average of 60% (2:1) to be eligible to partake in their feeder pathway (this could deviate slightly based on your years cohort but they’ll inform you of this). The “pathway” is choosing a second year module which lasts an entire semester entitled “Doctors, Patients and the Goals of Medicine”. This module isn’t like anything else you will be taught in your studies - it is not “hardcore science” in the slightest, instead it focuses on providing you with insight into the humanitarian side of being a doctor (something which many science graduates lack). As part of the module you will partake in a clinical placement, be given lectures on almost every aspect of healthcare in the UK (funding, training, specialities, future practice, even a lecture form a current medical student on what’s it’s like to study medicine). You will also be exposed to academics who can help you with you application to medicine - aiding you in what a good personal statement is and offering to do mock interviews with you prior to your actual interviews for GEM.

I would state that GEM at Swansea is currently ranked 3rd in the UK behind oxbridge and that Swansea graduates rank themselves first out of all medicine graduates as feeling the most prepared for life as a junior doctor. The Swansea GEM course is unique as it is CBL - case based learning. Swansea was the first uni to do CBL and is still the only Uni offering “true” CBL; other uni’s now Claim to teach in CBL but instead teach in problem based learning (PBL) which is very different.

However, I have no knowledge/experience of Notts so my viewpoint is partially biased.
Rosstafa
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Wait, you’ve applied to Swansea for medicine- so you’re alsready a graduate? If so then why enrol on another degree and not just wait another year? Or is it that you applied for undergrad medicine and also medical Biochem at Swansea?
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Rosstafa)
Wait, you’ve applied to Swansea for medicine- so you’re alsready a graduate? If so then why enrol on another degree and not just wait another year? Or is it that you applied for undergrad medicine and also medical Biochem at Swansea?
I applied to undergrad medicine and also medical biochem at Swansea.
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi Fractite, I just saw your posts here and thought I'd give a little bit more context to the course at Swansea which is particularly relevant to you. I'm just sorry I didn't see this thread sooner!

You mentioned that you were particularly upset that you didn't get the opportunity to interview for any of your Medicine selections. I'm sorry to hear this, and we do see that the competitive nature of Medicine courses across the UK leaves a lot of people disappointed. This is why we've brought in what we call our Pathways to Medicine, of which our Medical Biochemistry course is a part of. What this means is that if you are set to complete the course and are meeting the minimum entry requirements of our Graduate Entry Medicine programme, we will guarantee you an interview.

With regards to the lifestyle in both cities, while I have visited Nottingham and will admit it is a lovely place, I am far too biased not to say I think Swansea is a great place to live!

I wish you the best of luck working towards Medicine regardless of the route you take

Thanks,
Jamie
anitafaith
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have an unconditional for medical physiology
Cas22
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)
Hi Fractite, I just saw your posts here and thought I'd give a little bit more context to the course at Swansea which is particularly relevant to you. I'm just sorry I didn't see this thread sooner!

You mentioned that you were particularly upset that you didn't get the opportunity to interview for any of your Medicine selections. I'm sorry to hear this, and we do see that the competitive nature of Medicine courses across the UK leaves a lot of people disappointed. This is why we've brought in what we call our Pathways to Medicine, of which our Medical Biochemistry course is a part of. What this means is that if you are set to complete the course and are meeting the minimum entry requirements of our Graduate Entry Medicine programme, we will guarantee you an interview.

With regards to the lifestyle in both cities, while I have visited Nottingham and will admit it is a lovely place, I am far too biased not to say I think Swansea is a great place to live!

I wish you the best of luck working towards Medicine regardless of the route you take

Thanks,
Jamie
Hi, That's interesting about the pathway for Swansea Students.

How would this affect graduates from other Universities though? Do Swansea graduates have to take the GAMSAT? If so presumably they still get an interview whatever their score? Are there a set number of places reserved at Interview for Swansea graduates? If so how many non Swansea graduates does Swansea intend to interview? What was the GAMSAT cut off for non Swansea graduates last year? How many Swansea and how many non Swansea graduates where interviewed last year and how many from each category received offers? Do graduates from Swansea get a lower cut off at Interview?

Also is it a disadvantage to apply to Grad Med if not from Wales? Does the University favor Welsh Speakers over other applicants? I did notice that Swansea allows Welsh Speakers to be taught in Welsh and live in accommodation that is reserved for Welsh speaking students only.

Sorry for so many questions but I have looked at the prospectus and can't seem to find the answers to these questions. I think it is important for prospective applicants to be able to have this information so they can apply wisely. Swansea has a great medical school but graduate entry medicine is so competitive. If non Swansea graduates were at a disadvantage it would be fairer if this was made clear so they could apply elsewhere if it was unlikely that they would be accepted.

Best wishes Cas
Swansea University Colleges
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cas22)
Hi, That's interesting about the pathway for Swansea Students.

How would this affect graduates from other Universities though? Do Swansea graduates have to take the GAMSAT? If so presumably they still get an interview whatever their score? Are there a set number of places reserved at Interview for Swansea graduates? If so how many non Swansea graduates does Swansea intend to interview? What was the GAMSAT cut off for non Swansea graduates last year? How many Swansea and how many non Swansea graduates where interviewed last year and how many from each category received offers? Do graduates from Swansea get a lower cut off at Interview?

Also is it a disadvantage to apply to Grad Med if not from Wales? Does the University favor Welsh Speakers over other applicants? I did notice that Swansea allows Welsh Speakers to be taught in Welsh and live in accommodation that is reserved for Welsh speaking students only.

Sorry for so many questions but I have looked at the prospectus and can't seem to find the answers to these questions. I think it is important for prospective applicants to be able to have this information so they can apply wisely. Swansea has a great medical school but graduate entry medicine is so competitive. If non Swansea graduates were at a disadvantage it would be fairer if this was made clear so they could apply elsewhere if it was unlikely that they would be accepted.

Best wishes Cas
Hi Cas,

Swansea graduates who have successfully undertaken the pathway to medicine do still have to sit the GAMSAT, but will be offered an interview providing they meet a reduced GAMSAT cut-off which is decided upon in a year-by-year basis. There are no reserved spaces for Swansea students on the GEM course. So, no student taking the pathway is guaranteed a place for medicine at Swansea, only an interview (if they meet the GAMSAT and degree qualification criteria).The GAMSAT cut-off for applicants to make it to interviews last year (2018 entry) was 58.

The interviews which will be given to Swansea students via the pathway will be done so in addition to the number of interviews the university would normally give. So, no graduates from other universities will "miss out" on an interview place to a Swansea student who has taken the pathway. Once at interview it is a "level playing field" so to speak. Everyone is treated equally at interview regardless if they studied at Swansea or not. As such, the interview cut-off for receiving an offer to study GEM applies to ALL applicants at interview.

As stated previously all applicants are treated equally, English or Welsh; Scottish or Irish; welsh speaker or not. You are correct that Swansea does offer accommodation for welsh-speaking students that is only open to other welsh-speaking students as not many students speak welsh. However, it is entirely up to welsh-speaking students if they wish to pursue this type of accommodation or not.

The pathway at Swansea is designed to not only benefit those who wish to apply for GEM here at Swansea, but also those who wish to study medicine elsewhere by providing them with useful insight into the study and practice of medicine as well as the various application processes for other medicine courses in the UK.

So overall, if you study at Swansea or not, once at interview for GEM you have every chance of getting the offer of a place to study here. By taking the pathway to medicine (through one of our specified degrees) you can be given an interview here for GEM at a reduced GAMSAT score, but after that it's down to you as an applicant to get the place for GEM.

If you have any other queries please feel free to message us again or call us on 0800 094 9071 and ask for the medical school for more information.

I hope that helps
Cas22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thank you. Yes that does help Just one further question. So if the GAMSAT cut off for Swansea graduates was 58 last year what was the cut off for non GAMSAT graduates as a comparison?

Best wishes Cas
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cas22)
Thank you. Yes that does help Just one further question. So if the GAMSAT cut off for Swansea graduates was 58 last year what was the cut off for non GAMSAT graduates as a comparison?

Best wishes Cas
Hi Cas
We only accept GAMSAT for Home/EU students on the Graduate Entry Medicine programme at Swansea, so there is no comparison I am afraid.
Is there anything else I can help with?
Cas22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi, Sorry it's no doubt my fault for either not understanding and/or getting mixed up when typing my question. You quoted a GAMSAT cut off of 58. Was that cut off the reduced GAMSAT cut off for Swansea graduates? Or was 58 the cut off for non Swansea (but still home/EU) students?

(For some reason I asked about "non GAMSAT" students when I meant non Swansea graduates )

Thank you for your patience

Cas
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cas22)
Hi, Sorry it's no doubt my fault for either not understanding and/or getting mixed up when typing my question. You quoted a GAMSAT cut off of 58. Was that cut off the reduced GAMSAT cut off for Swansea graduates? Or was 58 the cut off for non Swansea (but still home/EU) students?

(For some reason I asked about "non GAMSAT" students when I meant non Swansea graduates )

Thank you for your patience

Cas
Hi Cas,

As the medicine pathway is a relatively new addition to some the courses offered at the medical school (with the first cohort of students to take the pathway now entering the third year of their degree); no pathway students have yet applied to GEM. So, the 58 GAMSAT interview cut-off quoted earlier was applied to all applicants applying for GEM (regardless if they were from Swansea or not). The reduced GAMSAT cut-off applied for pathway students at Swansea is decided on a year-by-year basis. So, students taking the pathway in 2019 will likely have a different GAMSAT cut-off than students taking the pathway in 2020.

I hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
42.41%
The paper was reasonable (71)
44.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (11)
6.96%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
5.7%

Watched Threads