aqa a level mechanics Newton`s law help

Watch
itlstallion69
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Q: A particle of mass 3kg is sliding in a straight line across a smooth horizontal surface at a speed of 30ms^-1. It encounters a rough patch of length 50m, where the coefficient of friction between the surface and the particle is 0.4. Calculate the deceleration of the particle as it moves over the rough patch.
Since the object is originally sliding and has no acceleration, does that mean that there is no driving force?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by itlstallion69)
Q: A particle of mass 3kg is sliding in a straight line across a smooth horizontal surface at a speed of 30ms^-1. It encounters a rough patch of length 50m, where the coefficient of friction between the surface and the particle is 0.4. Calculate the deceleration of the particle as it moves over the rough patch.
Since the object is originally sliding and has no acceleration, does that mean that there is no driving force?
What do you mean by a 'driving force' - its on a smoth surface to start with so it just travels at constant speed.

You need to work out the deceleratioon when it hits the rough patch. Draw a force diagram.
itlstallion69
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
What do you mean by a 'driving force' - its on a smoth surface to start with so it just travels at constant speed.

You need to work out the deceleratioon when it hits the rough patch. Draw a force diagram.
I have its just that once it hits the rough patch, it has a friction force of 11.76, but is that its overall force? menaing that -11.76=3a since f=ma?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by itlstallion69)
I have its just that once it hits the rough patch, it has a friction force of 11.76, but is that its overall force? menaing that -11.76=3a since f=ma?
Yes - horizontally it's just being decelerated by the limiting frictional force.

Make sure you show where the value of the frictional force comes from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (696)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed