A level English language (child language) question help

Watch
emmarosef
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, this is the question:
What is the relationship between children's comprehension and production of language. Examples should be used from pronunciation, word learning and syntactic acquisition.

I understand that this relates to Piaget's cognitive theory which I have already mentioned in my writing - that linguistics occur due to an already-established cognitive foundation - and with this I have only got one example that occurs within word learning (comparative adjectives 'bigger' and 'smaller' (e.g this book is bigger than that one) and to use these children need to understand the concept of size).

Please can anyone help me further expand on what I have already got and also give me two more examples (pronunciation and syntactic acquisition).
Thank you.
megandale666
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Theres also the biological and behaviourist theories to refer to. If a child isnt biologically/cognitively ready, they won't show these behaviours. Reference the stages of learning and evaluate the supporting and refuting points of any theory or model you've talked about
emmarosef
Rep:
?
(Original post by megandale666)
Theres also the biological and behaviourist theories to refer to. If a child isnt biologically/cognitively ready, they won't show these behaviours. Reference the stages of learning and evaluate the supporting and refuting points of any theory or model you've talked about
Hi thanks very much. What theory would this be?
Kivs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can also talk about the geographical and sociolect influences
emmarosef
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kivs)
You can also talk about the geographical and sociolect influences
Thanks, so pronounciation when it comes to accents ( socially and geographically). Do you have a theory for this?
Kivs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I would use William Labov, though it doesn’t link to child language it can link to accents
emmarosef
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kivs)
Well I would use William Labov, though it doesn’t link to child language it can link to accents
Ok thanks I will check that one out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.22%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60.83%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.82%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (30)
13.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.3%

Watched Threads