The Student Room Group

A level English language (child language) question help

Hi, this is the question:
What is the relationship between children's comprehension and production of language. Examples should be used from pronunciation, word learning and syntactic acquisition.

I understand that this relates to Piaget's cognitive theory which I have already mentioned in my writing - that linguistics occur due to an already-established cognitive foundation - and with this I have only got one example that occurs within word learning (comparative adjectives 'bigger' and 'smaller' (e.g this book is bigger than that one) and to use these children need to understand the concept of size).

Please can anyone help me further expand on what I have already got and also give me two more examples (pronunciation and syntactic acquisition).
Thank you.
Theres also the biological and behaviourist theories to refer to. If a child isnt biologically/cognitively ready, they won't show these behaviours. Reference the stages of learning and evaluate the supporting and refuting points of any theory or model you've talked about :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by megandale666
Theres also the biological and behaviourist theories to refer to. If a child isnt biologically/cognitively ready, they won't show these behaviours. Reference the stages of learning and evaluate the supporting and refuting points of any theory or model you've talked about :smile:

Hi thanks very much. What theory would this be?
Reply 3
You can also talk about the geographical and sociolect influences
Reply 4
Original post by Kivs
You can also talk about the geographical and sociolect influences

Thanks, so pronounciation when it comes to accents ( socially and geographically). Do you have a theory for this?
Reply 5
Well I would use William Labov, though it doesn’t link to child language it can link to accents
Reply 6
Original post by Kivs
Well I would use William Labov, though it doesn’t link to child language it can link to accents

Ok thanks I will check that one out

Quick Reply

Latest