The Student Room Group

Going bald at 20

I'm 20, my hairlines been receding for awhile now, kind of like Ed Westwicks but now there's a growing bald spot at the top too..

My hairs currently curly/wavy, brown and I've it cut so it's long on top and short on the sides.

How should I get it cut?

Should I buzz it?
I'm 5'8 and an athletic build but I could do with toning up a little.

Any suggestions?

Girls, what's your thoughts on a bald guy, or a guy balding?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly it happens, its to do with genes, you could think of a hair transplant or a wig if you want
Should have started on minoxydil as soon as you noticed.
If it gets to a point where you *feel* like you don't like the looks of it at all. Then buzz it off. If you think it's not that bad, leave it alone but do seek help e.g. dermatologist, if you're balding at a fast rate.
Tall and bald is cool, look at joe rogan. The earlier you shave it off the better.
Started at 16 bro, best thing to do is go to Belgravia Hair Centre for help and advice.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 20, my hairlines been receding for awhile now, kind of like Ed Westwicks but now there's a growing bald spot at the top too..

My hairs currently curly/wavy, brown and I've it cut so it's long on top and short on the sides.

How should I get it cut?

Should I buzz it?

Any suggestions?

would you be able to live with being totally bald in an emotional sense?
The punk look looks great on bald men. You could also look into the skin-head style. A fred perry polo, black leather jacket and washed out jeans would be lit. If you’re into tattoos It can also be a great bonus. It really depends on how you carry yourself, you’re tall, that’s a great thing, I honestly think that some people look better bald. I would just shave it off and play it like it’s a fashion statement. You should try to never feel insecure about it, insecurity shines through and people sense that. If you’re comfortable in your own skin and you’re happy, I promise that you’ll be 1000 times more sexy. The love of your life will fall in love with you as a package, not as a feature.
Reply 8

How should I get it cut?

Should I buzz it?

Any suggestions?

Buzz it off, maybe a number 1 or 2. Or shave it. Or grow a beard. Or grow a beard and shave your head. The possibilities are endless.
Ignore the idiots in this thread who just say 'accept it'. They're either people who are not balding, or bald men in denial about the fact that they are objectively less attractive, and are just trying to cope with their predicament.

The truth is, that baldness, especially as a young age, is perceived negatively by society at large. It is a sign of ageing and loss of youth, and absolutely is a hindrance when it comes to dating and relationships.

If you want to prevent further hair loss and try and regrow some of what you lost, you should get on the 'big three' - Finasteride, Minoxidil and Ketoconazole Shampoo. I cba to explain what these treatments are, so you'd best do your research. But they work, at least to some extent.

A transplant is not an option for you because you are balding young. The best candidates for a transplant are men in their late 30s/40s who have slowly receded over the years, and are unlikely to experience any further significant hair loss.

Hairpieces are decent - they can look very real and be somewhat economical.

If you can't be arsed with any of the above, you could get Scalp Micropigmentation. It's a special tattoo that creates the illusion of a shaved full head of hair. It won't give you your hair back, but will create the illusion of a hairline which will frame your face and negate the stigma of being bald as opposed to shaved.

Good luck.
Really? This is so common. Lots of teenagers think they are cool and smoke. Smoking particles attack the barriers of the thin layer of the scalp. Once they are fighting, they launch an emergency attack of burst waves of germs. Sorry but this is permanent unless you pay for cosmetic surgery. If u want proof, ask Dr Tenma. He is in Singapore right now to Wesak day. But search him, he changed my life. Just like you could too.
Original post by alireza280202
Really? This is so common. Lots of teenagers think they are cool and smoke. Smoking particles attack the barriers of the thin layer of the scalp. Once they are fighting, they launch an emergency attack of burst waves of germs. Sorry but this is permanent unless you pay for cosmetic surgery. If u want proof, ask Dr Tenma. He is in Singapore right now to Wesak day. But search him, he changed my life. Just like you could too.

Smoking has very little to do with baldness. Androgentic alopecia is 99% genetic. You're either a spambot or just misinformed.
Reply 12
Ignore the idiots in this thread who just say 'accept it'. They're either people who are not balding, or bald men in denial about the fact that they are objectively less attractive, and are just trying to cope with their predicament.

The truth is, that baldness, especially as a young age, is perceived negatively by society at large. It is a sign of ageing and loss of youth, and absolutely is a hindrance when it comes to dating and relationships.

If you want to prevent further hair loss and try and regrow some of what you lost, you should get on the 'big three' - Finasteride, Minoxidil and Ketoconazole Shampoo. I cba to explain what these treatments are, so you'd best do your research. But they work, at least to some extent.

A transplant is not an option for you because you are balding young. The best candidates for a transplant are men in their late 30s/40s who have slowly receded over the years, and are unlikely to experience any further significant hair loss.

Hairpieces are decent - they can look very real and be somewhat economical.

If you can't be arsed with any of the above, you could get Scalp Micropigmentation. It's a special tattoo that creates the illusion of a shaved full head of hair. It won't give you your hair back, but will create the illusion of a hairline which will frame your face and negate the stigma of being bald as opposed to shaved.

Good luck.

Are you Dr Fenton in disguise? ☺️
Original post by georgem93
Are you Dr Fenton in disguise? ☺️

No, I'm not one of those hair loss 'experts' that provide somewhat misleading information in a ploy to con a young, insecure, anxious balding guy out of his hard earned cash.
Reply 14
No, I'm not one of those hair loss 'experts' that provide somewhat misleading information in a ploy to con a young, insecure, anxious balding guy out of his hard earned cash.

That isn’t an accurate description of Dr Fenton either...
Original post by georgem93
That isn’t an accurate description of Dr Fenton either...

I really don't care tbh
Buy nizoral shampoo to reduce how much you're losing, but if it's visible you might consider just going for a #1 or #2 buzz. And you can buy minoxidil online for not too much. But if you're going to lose it, you're going to lose it no matter what, who knows, maybe if you lose it slowly there will be some new treatment out. If not, oh well, I see plenty of bald fellas in their late 20's with good looking girlfriends.
I would say buzz it. If you're balding it only looks worse if you try to hold onto your remaining hair. My best friend started prematurely balding around you age and I eventually pointed it out to him. Not trying to be mean or anything, but I just thought he should do something about it. I can tell you though that girls absolutely notice it when you're going bald so don't try to hide it. Best thing to do is accept it, bald can be hot honestly :wink:

How should I get it cut?

Should I buzz it?

Any suggestions?

Reply 18
Shave your head. It feels amazing first of all and if you grow a beard it works. If products work that's great, but for some people like me they just don't. (don't waste a year wasting money on stuff that doesn't work like me!) Ignore the people on here who are demonizing baldness and telling you you have to use every product in the world to try to fix it.
I'm balding too and early 20s, so are all my brothers. Treatment aside, get a buzz cut, hit the gym hard and grow out your beard (or at least keep heavy stubble). You said you're athletic build so get down to 10-12% body fat. Trust me buddy you'll have no problem getting the girls and respect from other guys (if you're worried about either).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending