The Student Room Group

AQA Triple Science revision guides - is CGP the gold standard?

As the title says really. I'm in Year 10, studying the AQA Triple Science course, and my teachers are starting to really push getting a revision guide to my classes. Trouble is, I really can't stand the layout/design of the CGP ones - I find them impossible to revise from. Those are the only revision guides my teachers are recommending.

As someone aiming for 8s in all the sciences (probably end up with a 7 in Biology but I'll do my best), are the CGP guides the best ones on the market? Are there any other revision guides that cover the content in as much detail as I'll need to reach my target grades? I had a quick search but couldn't find much on the subject. If CGP are the gold standard for Triple I'll buy them, but I would find revision much easier if there was an alternative with the same amount of content, detail and (general consensus on) layout/structure. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

cgp is certainly one of the most well-known revision guides for gcse science - maybe indeed the gold standard. many say it's for the layout and design, in terms of being easy to read, which can certainly help if you're cramming for mock tests (or something similar).

however, if the design and layout are aspects that you'd rather avoid, then there are certainly others that you can use.

the best one i've found so far is the collins series.

example links for the student book and workbook:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Biology-Student-Book-Science/dp/0008158754/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W4XKFV4243C7ZJAG1PVA (student book, biology)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Grade-Booster-Workbook-Science/dp/0008194335/ref=pd_sim_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PQ7FHA7ZH44C3DVVTXSR (workbook, biology)

you may much prefer collins' design to cgp's, and the cgp and collins workbooks are equally good if you want to get your grade up to an 8/9.

there's even a required practical book that goes over each one in detail, and can prepare you for exam questions that ask you to analyse the methods and results of each experiment.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-GCSE-Science-9-1-Practicals/dp/0008291632/ref=pd_sim_14_55?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W4XKFV4243C7ZJAG1PVA

another is the oxford science revision guide.
https://www.bookdepository.com/AQA-GCSE-Biology-Revision-Guide-Niva-Miles/9780198359401?ref=grid-view

it's comprehensive, and gives you synoptic links and study tips next to the information you need to learn, as well as giving you things to look into further, if you're ever curious :smile: it's most often used by students who have the online textbook for the series on a website called kerboodle, but it's still by all means helpful for students who don't have it.

it's good that you brought this up while in year 10, so that you'll be able to revise most effectively once you need to start. don't hesitate to ask any more questions if you need more guidance on which one to pick or how best to revise, and best of luck preparing! you've got lots of time :smile:
ONE WORD.... SPECIFICATION

i made about 500 flashcards based solely on the specification for aqa. it contains everything you need to get at least an A. to get an A* i guess you should supplement revision with CGP guides.

I got AAA in triple science last year :smile:
Original post by fii_xox

i made about 500 flashcards based solely on the specification for aqa. it contains everything you need to get at least an A. to get an A* i guess you should supplement revision with CGP guides.

My teachers have said that they have changed the way the specification is worded and made it more general so things that aren't necessarily stated in it in detail could still come up.
Original post by Goldfish4343
My teachers have said that they have changed the way the specification is worded and made it more general so things that aren't necessarily stated in it in detail could still come up.

damn, that sucks! sorry then, i guess my advice is useless haha
best of luck for your exams.
Well my school pushed the collins revison guides and theyre quite good to be honest. Would definitely reccomend. If youre doing triple then each science would have its own book.
Im predicted two grade 8s for bio and physics and a 9 for chemistry so i'd recommend the cgp textbooks, or you could just go online and look for AQA approved ones :smile:
Reply 7
GCSE aqa physics/biology/chemistry 9-1 the complete gcse course for aqa

Little on the expensive side as you have to buy three books around £17 but they’re really good I’m aiming for 8 across all sciences and I can tell you they’re really good

The chemistry has a picture of chromatography
The biology has seeds
And the physics has stars on it, just so you know which book it is
Original post by euphrosynay
cgp is certainly one of the most well-known revision guides for gcse science - maybe indeed the gold standard. many say it's for the layout and design, in terms of being easy to read, which can certainly help if you're cramming for mock tests (or something similar).

however, if the design and layout are aspects that you'd rather avoid, then there are certainly others that you can use.

the best one i've found so far is the collins series.

example links for the student book and workbook:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Biology-Student-Book-Science/dp/0008158754/ref=pd_sim_14_6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W4XKFV4243C7ZJAG1PVA (student book, biology)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Grade-Booster-Workbook-Science/dp/0008194335/ref=pd_sim_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PQ7FHA7ZH44C3DVVTXSR (workbook, biology)

you may much prefer collins' design to cgp's, and the cgp and collins workbooks are equally good if you want to get your grade up to an 8/9.

there's even a required practical book that goes over each one in detail, and can prepare you for exam questions that ask you to analyse the methods and results of each experiment.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-GCSE-Science-9-1-Practicals/dp/0008291632/ref=pd_sim_14_55?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W4XKFV4243C7ZJAG1PVA

another is the oxford science revision guide.
https://www.bookdepository.com/AQA-GCSE-Biology-Revision-Guide-Niva-Miles/9780198359401?ref=grid-view

it's comprehensive, and gives you synoptic links and study tips next to the information you need to learn, as well as giving you things to look into further, if you're ever curious :smile: it's most often used by students who have the online textbook for the series on a website called kerboodle, but it's still by all means helpful for students who don't have it.

it's good that you brought this up while in year 10, so that you'll be able to revise most effectively once you need to start. don't hesitate to ask any more questions if you need more guidance on which one to pick or how best to revise, and best of luck preparing! you've got lots of time :smile:

Original post by Mzk7_fr
Im predicted two grade 8s for bio and physics and a 9 for chemistry so i'd recommend the cgp textbooks, or you could just go online and look for AQA approved ones :smile:

Original post by :-Luke-:
GCSE aqa physics/biology/chemistry 9-1 the complete gcse course for aqa

Little on the expensive side as you have to buy three books around £17 but they’re really good I’m aiming for 8 across all sciences and I can tell you they’re really good

The chemistry has a picture of chromatography
The biology has seeds
And the physics has stars on it, just so you know which book it is

Thanks for the recommendations, guys! My school uses Kerboodle and I'm not a huuuuuge fan of the textbooks we get on there, so I'm leaning a little more towards the Collins guides right now. Regardless, I'll check out the Oxford/AQA ones and maybe have another look at the CGP ones my friends have. Appreciate the help!
Original post by fii_xox

Where can I find the specification?
Reply 10
Past paper/specimen paper questions were definitely a huge help for revision (did my GCSEs summer 2018) and managed to get 9s in all 3 sciences. I used the CGP revision guides for content as they give you basically all the info you need, and made summary pages for topics to really make things stick in my head. In year 11 I went back and made some new pages for the topics I found the hardest and the new topics, did past papers and watched freesciencelessons.co.uk (he's a life saver honestly). CGP are the best for info in my opinion, and you can just pick out the facts and make your own revision pages/cards. You got this! x
Reply 11
Original post by GSCE student
Where can I find the specification?

on the AQA website or on the website of whichever exam board you're doing x
Reply 12
I used the CGP books for all my sciences and I got 8s. Are your teachers recommending the revision guides (thin books) or the complete revision and practise books? There’s a big difference in the number of pages. The revision guides are packed and the pages are hard to read, but the bigger versions (more expensive but come with past papers in the back) have the same content as the revision guide and the pages are less condensed so it doesn’t look like a headache to read. Here’s pictures from the same section of the Biology book, with the one with larger images being the revision and practice book
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Reply 13
my school pushed the Collins AQA revision guides (GCSE Chemistry AQA Practice and Revision Guide with online edition: GCSE Grade 9-1 (Collins GCSE 9-1 Revision) I study triple and with my exams in a couple of months I’d hope that these have done me well! They have practise questions and there’s a few practise exam papers in the back. All the triple content is highlighted so it’s easy to differentiate. Having said that I prefer videos, but I think that’s just the way I learn. I have found the books helpful though
My personal favourite is the one that @euphrosynay recommended, and that is the Oxford ones. Our school gives us the full textbook free on Kerboodle, but here is the link for a physical copy of the Bio one. AQA Biology Textbook . You can work your way around to find the others.

I also really hate CGP, but to revise I usually make-do with Kerboodle textbook, Google and Past Papers.
Don’t have any others but I have these as my teachers pushed buying them and they are a real help and make revision really easy.
Honestly, I recommend you use the internet. Physics and Maths tutor is my favourite website and comes with past papers and Mark schemes, practice questions and you can also pick your exam board. It’s free and apart from the ads, better than revision guides. S-Cool is also a good website.
I think cgp is bad. use https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Biology-Revision-Guide/dp/0198359403 or the one by Pearson instead. that will definitely get you 9
I'm a level 9 student and my favourite is definately CGP although I also found a mixture of BBC bitesize and Quizlet flashcards extremely helpful as well. Often the same publishers won't be your favourite for all subjects so just have a look in WHSmith to get a fell for them.

Quick Reply

Latest