The Student Room Group

allergic reaction to eyebrow tint

Hey,

I bought an eyebrow tint form boots and used it once and had no reaction to it. After this, I used a hair treatment that had henna in it and when I used the same eyebrow tint my skin around my eyebrows started to itch and it lasted for several days. It has now been 4 months since I used the hair treatment and I've tried to use the eyebrow tint again and each time I get the same reaction. I've never had any problems with any eyebrow tints or hair dyes and now I'm worried that if I dye my hair I'm going to get an allergic reaction. Has anyone had a similar experience before? Were you still able to dye your hair after? Do you think that henna can cause you to become allergic to hair dyes?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I bought an eyebrow tint form boots and used it once and had no reaction to it. After this, I used a hair treatment that had henna in it and when I used the same eyebrow tint my skin around my eyebrows started to itch and it lasted for several days. It has now been 4 months since I used the hair treatment and I've tried to use the eyebrow tint again and each time I get the same reaction. I've never had any problems with any eyebrow tints or hair dyes and now I'm worried that if I dye my hair I'm going to get an allergic reaction. Has anyone had a similar experience before? Were you still able to dye your hair after? Do you think that henna can cause you to become allergic to hair dyes?

You should do a skin test before using hair dye anyway so that will indicate if you would have a reaction.
If you've had a reaction to eyebrow tint before then I suggest you try a different brand of you dye your hair. And obviously don't use that tint again.

You should be doing a skin test every time you use hair dye because you can react differently even if you've used it before. A reaction on a small area like your eyebrows is one thing, but a reaction across your whole scalp would be a nightmare so make sure you do a test for the right amount of time before trying any dye.

So if you want to try dying your hair then go for it. If the test gives you a reaction then you're not out of pocket too much.

Might be worth a chat with a pharmacist or your GP too for some info and advice.
yes i thought i was the only one ! i always tinted my browns about every 2-3 weeks (light hair) and they were fine i did a patch test but for some reason i tyed it and they went itchyand inflameed so i went doctor and they gave me this cream . however i do belive i forgot to put the lid on from the tints . i dyed my hair but asked them to use sensitive stuff on my hair . so i would recoment you doing that as its been fine with me however i am scared to tint my brows again !
hope this helped
Reply 3
I have the same problem, I used to dye my eyebrows twice a week until recently, I dyed my hair brown, I tinted my eyebrows and it would be red underneath with some itching, nothing severe but the next time I did it I had redness again with a tiny bit of swelling but it wasn’t noticeable. Why has this only happened now when I have been tinting for 2 years and am I able to continue dying my hair brown, as it was semi perm
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest