The Student Room Group

Which Uni is the best choice ?

Hi!
At the moment i am studying four a levels (biology,chemistry,maths and french). I have received four offers:

Biomedical science ( Warwick ) - ABB
Biochemistry ( Warwick)- ABB
Cancer, Biology and Immunology ( bristol) - AAB
Medical Microbiology ( Leicester) - Unconditional
Liverpool-medicine- rejected :frown:

In the future , I may pursue medicine again after my first degree. If i choose Medical microbiology , I have the chance to try again to do medicine after the first year , but I am not sure if I am prepared enough.

Would it be better to try for medicine by putting Leicester as my firm choice , or would it be more worthwhile to do any of the other three courses , even if it will take longer ?

Also , which Uni is better (pros and cons) in terms of the support given to students, accommodation and just the area in general?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Why didn't you apply for medicine at 4 universities?
(edited 6 years ago)
I think that you should wait until you have a clear idea on what you want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by MKMedic
Why didn't you apply for medicine at 4 universities?

I had originally applied for medicine at three universities (Leicester,Bristol and Liverpool) . I got rejected from Bristol and Leicester without an interview and was given the choice of other courses ,and got an interview for Liverpool from which I just got rejected.
Reply 4
I would do biomedical at Warwick
Why do you want to be a doctor? Is it just the glamour of 'I'm at Med School'? Or the idea that everyone is in awe of doctors?

You could potentially save far more lives by working in Medical Sciences than working as a doctor - Medical Scientists get awarded Nobel Prizes - GPs do not.

You need to go back to these basic questions. And be honest with yourself about the answers.
Original post by Christa6
Hi!
At the moment i am studying four a levels (biology,chemistry,maths and french). I have received four offers:

Biomedical science ( Warwick ) - ABB
Biochemistry ( Warwick)- ABB
Cancer, Biology and Immunology ( bristol) - AAB
Medical Microbiology ( Leicester) - Unconditional
Liverpool-medicine- rejected :frown:

In the future , I may pursue medicine again after my first degree. If i choose Medical microbiology , I have the chance to try again to do medicine after the first year , but I am not sure if I am prepared enough.

Would it be better to try for medicine by putting Leicester as my firm choice , or would it be more worthwhile to do any of the other three courses , even if it will take longer ?

Also , which Uni is better (pros and cons) in terms of the support given to students, accommodation and just the area in general?

Thanks in advance!

You will be able to apply for graduate entry medicine with all the four degrees you have offers for - these discrepancies are purely nominal and admissions tutors for medicine will know that. If anything, the (typically) larger chemistry component in a biochemistry course may give you an edge.

That said, you still have 3 biomedical sciences courses at 3 very different universities. I don't know terribly much about the other two, but Bristol is probably the most prestigious. I also know that the department has great strengths in biochemistry and microbiology, which seem to be areas of your interest. However, it is a city university as supposed to a campus university like Warwick and that is largely a personal choice. Depending on your circumstances, location may be another factor in your consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending