The Student Room Group

Why aren't colleges more up front about BTECs?

hm
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yh i kind of doubt that's true , maybe for some uni's like oxford or cambridge , but i highly doubt every single uni's in the top 30 are gonna reject his amazing btec scores
Reply 2
I'm not sure statistically whether your friend can get into a top uni with btecs, but some definitely do look down upon coursework based subjects, which I agree is unfair for colleges to not disclose prior to choosing your options.

Its kind of the same with certain 'soft' subjects which some courses at uni look down upon at A level, which I personally disagree with, but should still be disclosed to students before hand.
Original post by TheGameStirr
My friend has been angry at me for saying he's not able to get into a top 30 university with a BTEC. He has a triple D*D*D* in ICT and is acting like it is like a triple AAA equivalent in A level. Nobody with BTEC extended goes to top universities, its just a known fact that even employers would take somebody who failed A levels over a distinction in BTEC.

I told my friend not to be angry at me, but for the college misleading him and thinking he had any hope of getting into a top 30 Uni in the UK. I understand he can go to a University, but not a very good one IMO. It would be a scrape to get into a top 50 with a BTEC if you are asking me, ive never heard anybody go places with one.

Colleges need to be more up front about the value of btecs

Either you are very ignorant or just a poor troll. Troll imo.
Absolute rubbish - of course your friend can get into a top 30 university with a BTEC, especially with a triple distinction. BTECs are accepted even by places like Oxford for some courses.
If you want to go to a top 30 uni with a BTEC then you have to do a foundation year. The university doeskin want you to make them look shite when you drop out because you cant handle the different type of work. However i would like to meet the employer who employs someone who got 4 Us in their A levels compared to someone who got D*D*D* in a BTEC
Really?? A BTEC in business got me offers from 3 "top 30" Universities in UK and the required grades for all of them was DDD lol. Nice attempt at trolling doe :P
Why would anyone even do btecs lol
Reply 8
My friend has been angry at me for saying he's not able to get into a top 30 university with a BTEC. He has a triple D*D*D* in ICT and is acting like it is like a triple AAA equivalent in A level. Nobody with BTEC extended goes to top universities, its just a known fact that even employers would take somebody who failed A levels over a distinction in BTEC.

I told my friend not to be angry at me, but for the college misleading him and thinking he had any hope of getting into a top 30 Uni in the UK. I understand he can go to a University, but not a very good one IMO. It would be a scrape to get into a top 50 with a BTEC if you are asking me, ive never heard anybody go places with one.

This isn't really correct.

People from my BTEC class got into: Kings College London, Manchester, Surrey, Southampton, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Bath and UCL for either Computer Science or ITMB.

I got D*D*D* in my IT BTEC and went to a top 30 uni (top 20 at the time) for my bachelors degree in Computer Science and currently attend a top 10 for CompSci pursuing my MSc.

Also, D*D*D* is the equivalent of A*A*A*, and triple Distinction is worth AAA.

BTEC is actually more employable than A levels (there's been several studies that prove this). I also speak from experience I have never found it difficult to get a job (I currently work as a Software Engineer alongside my MSc) and have 5 offers for Graduate schemes starting September, including big companies like IBM and BT for Software Engineering focussed graduate programmes. I also found my BTEC great for gaining internships (I did 2 whist an undergrad) because on the BTEC you have a compulsory industrial work placement relevant to course which looks excellent on a personal statement and intern/grad roles.
Reply 9

???? I easy get into a top 30 with BTEC? University of Sussex and University of Essex and brilliant and both allow BTECs? What Unis did he apply for?
Reply 10
Original post by yt7777

People from my BTEC class got into: Kings College London, Manchester, Surrey, Southampton, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Bath and UCL for either Computer Science or ITMB.

I got D*D*D* in my IT BTEC and went to a top 30 uni (top 20 at the time) for my bachelors degree in Computer Science and currently attend a top 10 for CompSci pursuing my MSc.

BTEC is actually more employable than A levels (there's been several studies that prove this). I also speak from experience I have never found it difficult to get a job (I currently work as a Software Engineer alongside my MSc) and have 5 offers for Graduate schemes starting September, including big companies like IBM and BT for Software Engineering focussed graduate programmes. I also found my BTEC great for gaining internships (I did 2 whist an undergrad) because on the BTEC you have a compulsory industrial work placement relevant to course which looks excellent on a personal statement and intern/grad roles.

Weird as Surrey don't allow BTECs but to add to your list Essex and Sussex both top quality Unis allow BTEC students
Original post by serions871
Why would anyone even do btecs lol

Maybe because it’s their only option? Or they crumble under exam pressure? A lot of BTECs are actually being made to involve 2-3 exams now. I don’t feel like it’s fair to shame BTECs, they involve a lot of hard work, just like A-Levels do!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Ray_Shadows
yh i kind of doubt that's true , maybe for some uni's like oxford or cambridge , but i highly doubt every single uni's in the top 30 are gonna reject his amazing btec scores

You're perfectly right. Sussex, Essex, Royal Holloway, London City all let applicants apply with BTECs. Even Cambridge does - If the BTEC is essay based they will consider it.
Reply 13
Original post by powiful
Maybe because it’s their only option? Or they crumble under exam pressure? A lot of BTEC courses are actually being made to involve 2-3 exams now. I don’t feel like it’s fair to shame BTECs, they involve a lot of hard work, just like A-Levels do!

I love how people with A-Levels talk all this crap about BTECs when some A-Level students I know are falling way behind on University courses. Not talking crap then are they lol
they dont have an incentive to be honest, they just want the money
Reply 15
Original post by yt7777

Perfectly right and BTECs are enjoyable to study haha just a guess, did you go to Essex?
It could be what you might have gotten in your GCSE's beforehand, i was told a RG university that I offered (not firm or insurance) to go to whilst on par to achieve top grades in my btec, regardless of my btec grade I will still need to retake my gcse's because they were below average and it seemed somewhat suspicious that I was able to achieve top grades at Btec unlike my averaging C/D grades at GCSE. Furthermore I feel that my college had misleaded me on the value of my btec that it would get me into employment easier than the average A-level student because of its vocational nature, have not found employment since left uni few years ago.
Original post by jdddd
I love how people with A-Levels talk all this crap about BTECs when some A-Level students I know are falling way behind on University courses. Not talking crap then are they lol

I know right! BTECs involve just as much work as A-Levels do, possibly more..
Reply 18
Original post by jdddd
Weird as Surrey don't allow BTECs but to add to your list Essex and Sussex both top quality Unis allow BTEC students

Surrey accept DDD, me and several others had an offer for undergrad
Reply 19
Original post by yt7777
Surrey accept DDD, me and several others had an offer for undergrad

That's weird, might have changed, websites says A-levels now and doesn't mention BTECs!

Quick Reply

Latest