The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships over degree - Will I be at a disadvantage in the long run?

I'm currently in Year 12 but this has been on my mind for a while. I'm considering doing an apprenticeship after completing my a-levels but I can't help but wonder, will not having a degree put me at a disadvantage in the long run?

For example, an apprenticeship gives you a qualification and experience which your graduate counterparts are unlikely to have but if in the future I'm up against someone who has a degree AND experience, will they be favoured more?
Reply 1
I heard that companies for whom you do an apprenticeship will sponsor your university degree
If you think you're gonna work within that sector for a long time, go for it. I considered doing an apprenticeship over going to Uni but seeing how so many people say accounting in the long run is soul crushingly boring, might as well have a degree to go for entry level jobs in other sectors.

What do you wanna do your apprenticeship in?
Original post by kimmylel
I'm currently in Year 12 but this has been on my mind for a while. I'm considering doing an apprenticeship after completing my a-levels but I can't help but wonder, will not having a degree put me at a disadvantage in the long run?

For example, an apprenticeship gives you a qualification and experience which your graduate counterparts are unlikely to have but if in the future I'm up against someone who has a degree AND experience, will they be favoured more?

Why not do a degree apprenticeship? I'm currently doing a degree apprenticeship - where I'm studying for a degree and working at a Management Consultancy firm.
Reply 4
Original post by JDieMstr
If you think you're gonna work within that sector for a long time, go for it. I considered doing an apprenticeship over going to Uni but seeing how so many people say accounting in the long run is soul crushingly boring, might as well have a degree to go for entry level jobs in other sectors.

What do you wanna do your apprenticeship in?

I'm considering going down a Business route - Management hopefully

Original post by squirrology
Why not do a degree apprenticeship? I'm currently doing a degree apprenticeship - where I'm studying for a degree and working at a Management Consultancy firm.

I have considered a degree apprenticeship but one of the main reasons I don't want to go university is the work load and essay writing etc. What has your experience been like? What kind of work do you do? How do you go about balancing work and studying?
I'm considering going down a Business route - Management hopefully

I have considered a degree apprenticeship but one of the main reasons I don't want to go university is the work load and essay writing etc. What has your experience been like? What kind of work do you do? How do you go about balancing work and studying?

If you want a degree, you certainly going to have to work for it. An apprenticeship isn't an easy way out, but it gives you an opportunity to work in a field that you want to be in and also the time and flexibility to work towards a qualification.

If you want to know my route, I went from completing my A-Levels, to a Level 3 Apprenticeship (equivalent to A-Levels) and have started a Degree Apprenticeship last October. If you don't want to a Degree Apprenticeship straight away, consider going in for a Level 3, as it gives you a taste of what to expect before committing to a 4-year long programme.
Reply 6
Original post by squirrology

this thread is a bit old so might not get a reply but what uni did you go to part time? Were you able to choose the uni or did your employer choose the uni? Only asking as im leaning more towards a degree at uni but the debt is off putting
Original post by Aafiq123
this thread is a bit old so might not get a reply but what uni did you go to part time? Were you able to choose the uni or did your employer choose the uni? Only asking as im leaning more towards a degree at uni but the debt is off putting

If you study for a degree apprenticeship you will usually gain the same qualification as someone going the direct UCAS route. The difference is that you will be paid a wage to work whilst you are studying and the employer will cover your tuition fees. Much more practical on the job experience also.
Hi,

Choosing between going to University and doing an apprenticeship can be a confusing time! Here at Solent we offer many vocational and creative courses as well as more traditional courses too.

At Solent we offer a lot of support throughout your studies to help you find a job once you graduate, we have a very high employment rate!

If you would like some more information on the different courses we offer feel free to have a look on our website, visit https://www.solent.ac.uk, you will also be able to book an open day if you would like!

If you have any more questions feel free to message me. I am the student ambassador for Solent Uni and would love to be able to offer some help or advice where I can (I was in your position only a couple of years ago!)

I hope this helped :smile:

Rachel
In most I've seen, the employer has already chosen the education provider and set the whole programme up before putting up the vacancy.
Original post by Aafiq123

Do a degree apprenticeship, you get a taste of uni as well as industry experience!

Tagging @National Careers Service, who can help you further
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi there!

It's very normal to feel this way about a degree qualification and experience.

It could help if you have a a career in mind or area of work. Our job profiles might be a good place to start so that you can check the qualification and experience you need. You can also look into doing a degree apprenticeships. Apprenticeships are a great way to develop your skills with an employers as well as working towards the qualification. This could mean that you can use both your degree and experience to meet requirements that employers may set.

I've included the link for the job profiles for you so that you can research into this further and hopefully this might help you decide the next best step for you-

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

I hope this is helpful!

Good luck, Samrita.

Original post by thestudent33
Do a degree apprenticeship, you get a taste of uni as well as industry experience!

Tagging @National Careers Service, who can help you further

Hi there!

Thanks for tagging us @thestudent33

It could help if you have a a career in mind or area of work. Our job profiles might be a good place to start so that you can check the qualification and experience you need. You can also look into doing a degree apprenticeships. Apprenticeships are a great way to develop your skills with an employers as well as working towards the qualification. This could mean that you can use both your degree and experience to meet requirements that employers may set.

I've included the link for the job profiles for you so that you can research into this further and hopefully this might help you decide the next best step for you-

I hope this is helpful!

Good luck, Samrita.

Hi there!

Thanks for tagging us @thestudent33

I hope this is helpful!

Good luck, Samrita.
I think it totally depends on what industry you want to go into - some will only be accessible via one route or the other and some may offer both options. I suppose it comes down somewhat to that and also to your own priorities - experience is absolutely invaluable though! Degrees may enable you to start slightly higher up in the pool but bear in mind how competitive graduate positions are - often it is not just a case of having the degree (and a good one with consistent marks) but also having connections and internships etc. It may be somewhat more accessible to get an apprenticeship but you don't get paid great initially and you will need to work your way up - that said you will likely gain a competitive edge this way as this is experience a graduate is unlikely to have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending