The Student Room Group

Should I meet this guy or not?

I'm an introvert and currently don't really have any friends, I've never been in a relationship before, I have a Muslim background but not Muslim, I haven't been social in a while, I don't know how I'll be like when/if we meet. He's asked me to let him know when we can meet - I'm available to meet right now but just not telling him because I don't know if I should meet him. I feel nervous about it because I feel like he's more experienced/social (e.g. has quite a few friends and has had a girlfriend before and goes to social stuff - parties/clubs and does quite s few activities, judging by his pics) and he doesn't know how I'm actually like or anything about my life, really (e.g. he doesn't know that I come from an isolated family, as in, we don't have any relatives in this country or anything), and he doesn't know that my parents are separated and a bunch of other stuff about my family. Basically we're not a regular family.

Chatting on social media doesn't show one's true personality, so i'm scared he won't like how i'm introverted in real life. And what if I'm awkward and the whole meeting/date/whatever it is turns out to be a fail and then I'll feel like chit about myself afterwards.

I'm kinda a good-looking girl (or so people think) and so that's probably why he's interested. Also we're both originally from the same country (half of our ethnicity - we're both halfies).

This whole post is so unorganised and rambly, sorry. But if you have any advice for me, please comment. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Forgot to mention that he's good-looking as well, and I think he's also kinda interested in philosophy, as I am.
Reply 2
Also forgot to mention that he seems really interested in me/meeting up with me and we've vaguely spoken about him possibly showing me around his area of France some day.

Also, not sure if he's hinting at something, but after he said the above (showing me around), he said there's lots of things I'd love to do with you...which, I'm not sure he means in an innocent way or not, because it was kinda unexpected.
yes

or regret it FOREVER

also what u have to lose, if u dont like him block him
Go for it! Meet up, wear something casual and nice and have a great time and be yourself. I'm a introvert aswell and tbh I don't go out much but when I do I just go with the flow ( I know trying to be helpful but I dunno I just sort of put on this idgaf attitude and that gives me confidence to talk to people and it works?)
Go for it! why not? It might just fade away if you don't do something soon!
No. He only wants to see you so he can take your virginity.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm an introvert and currently don't really have any friends, I've never been in a relationship before, I have a Muslim background but not Muslim, I haven't been social in a while, I don't know how I'll be like when/if we meet. He's asked me to let him know when we can meet - I'm available to meet right now but just not telling him because I don't know if I should meet him. I feel nervous about it because I feel like he's more experienced/social (e.g. has quite a few friends and has had a girlfriend before and goes to social stuff - parties/clubs and does quite s few activities, judging by his pics) and he doesn't know how I'm actually like or anything about my life, really (e.g. he doesn't know that I come from an isolated family, as in, we don't have any relatives in this country or anything), and he doesn't know that my parents are separated and a bunch of other stuff about my family. Basically we're not a regular family.

Chatting on social media doesn't show one's true personality, so i'm scared he won't like how i'm introverted in real life. And what if I'm awkward and the whole meeting/date/whatever it is turns out to be a fail and then I'll feel like chit about myself afterwards.

I'm kinda a good-looking girl (or so people think) and so that's probably why he's interested. Also we're both originally from the same country (half of our ethnicity - we're both halfies).

This whole post is so unorganised and rambly, sorry. But if you have any advice for me, please comment. Thanks :smile:

Firstly, I want you take a nice deep breath and relax :smile:. You seem like a great girl and im sure that hes interested in you for many things other than your looks. I understand that your a little introverted and so think communication may be a problem. But if you really like this guy then you've got to take that leap of faith and meet him. Your going to be able to learn more about each other and actually see if you are compatible. Him being more sociable will allow him to initate and lead the conversations so hopefully there wont be any awkward silences or weird moments. If he is the right guy then he will appreciate you for YOU- and accept your personality and how you are. Just be yourself; you dont want to sell him this fake version of yourself because its not fair for him and itll are just be exhausting and unreal for you. But try your best talking to him; learn abit more about him- show him that you are a caring and genuine person. Dont open up too much about family or any important matters- you should only discuss these things when you know he is the right person for you. All in all ive got high hopes for you and I know you'll be fine. Good luck :smile:.
If you don't mind doing "things" with him, go for it. Will be a good experience to see how the guy reacts to your true self. If he accepts ya for who you are, you hit the jackpot. If not, welp, you've tried and your sub conscience won't later think of "what if I went to meet him, it could've turned out well....."
Also forgot to mention that he seems really interested in me/meeting up with me and we've vaguely spoken about him possibly showing me around his area of France some day.

Also, not sure if he's hinting at something, but after he said the above (showing me around), he said there's lots of things I'd love to do with you...which, I'm not sure he means in an innocent way or not, because it was kinda unexpected.

Oh and make sure hes a real person- not a catfish or weirdo or anything. Id advise meeting somewhere close to your home first; somewhere busy perhaps. Im sure itll be fine but its good to be in a 'safe' environment. Just so you can get to know him more before escalating anything.
Original post by JDieMstr
If you don't mind doing "things" with him, go for it. Will be a good experience to see how the guy reacts to your true self. If he accepts ya for who you are, you hit the jackpot. If not, welp, you've tried and your sub conscience won't later think of "what if I went to meet him, it could've turned out well....."

Thanks

I definitely do mind doing 'things' with him! That's not happening at all. That will only happen if we ever get married. This is one thing I'm worried about - if he's expecting me to be open to these 'things' because that's a straight no-no.
Original post by Li0n
Oh and make sure hes a real person- not a catfish or weirdo or anything. Id advise meeting somewhere close to your home first; somewhere busy perhaps. Im sure itll be fine but its good to be in a 'safe' environment. Just so you can get to know him more before escalating anything.

Thanks

He's definitely not a catfish. We're following each other on two social media platforms and real person confirmed haha
Original post by Li0n
Firstly, I want you take a nice deep breath and relax :smile:. You seem like a great girl and im sure that hes interested in you for many things other than your looks. I understand that your a little introverted and so think communication may be a problem. But if you really like this guy then you've got to take that leap of faith and meet him. Your going to be able to learn more about each other and actually see if you are compatible. Him being more sociable will allow him to initate and lead the conversations so hopefully there wont be any awkward silences or weird moments. If he is the right guy then he will appreciate you for YOU- and accept your personality and how you are. Just be yourself; you dont want to sell him this fake version of yourself because its not fair for him and itll are just be exhausting and unreal for you. But try your best talking to him; learn abit more about him- show him that you are a caring and genuine person. Dont open up too much about family or any important matters- you should only discuss these things when you know he is the right person for you. All in all ive got high hopes for you and I know you'll be fine. Good luck :smile:.

Wow, such nice people on this site. Thanks a lot for your advice.
Thanks

He's definitely not a catfish. We're following each other on two social media platforms and real person confirmed haha

Haha- just checking!
Wow, such nice people on this site. Thanks a lot for your advice.

Aww- thanks.That means alot. And sure, any time.
Thanks

This is worrying.
Original post by JDieMstr
If not, welp, you've tried and your sub conscience won't later think of "what if I went to meet him, it could've turned out well....."

On the other hand, I might later feel crappy if the meeting doesn't turn out well...
Original post by Master3.14159
This is worrying.

Why do you think so?
Why do you think so?

You will learn. Stop being so naive. He is LYING. THEY ALL LIE. He wants to see you because he is horny and he wants to be the one to take your virginity. Wake up.
On the other hand, I might later feel crappy if the meeting doesn't turn out well...

Let me ask you this-Do you trust the guy enough to not do anything that you wouldn't want him to do? If yes, go for it. If no, you either risk it and go for it, hoping for the best or not meet him at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending