What Universities in England are good for law??

Watch
username3787036
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
username2337287
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Kings, Edinburgh, Manchester, Queen Mary, Nottingham
username3787036
Rep:
?
(Original post by Science99999)
Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Kings, Edinburgh, Manchester, Queen Mary, Nottingham
Thanks. Do you need to be good at maths to get into Oxford or Cambridge?
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sian.M.A)
Thanks. Do you need to be good at maths to get into Oxford or Cambridge?
No, what are your current GCSEs?
Although some profeciency in mathematics is ideal.
username3787036
Rep:
?
No, what are your current GCSEs?
Although some profeciency in mathematics is ideal.
I have actually just chose my options I have chose German, RE and History
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have actually just chose my options I have chose German, RE and History
Year 11? Well law is immensely competitive, and you should attempt Oxbridge if you able to compete with your peers, this is cut and throat, yet the bitter truth. You need to be the best of the best in a certain subject in order meet the minimum requirements.

I feel that honesty is better than viewing Oxbridge through rose tinted spectacles, some may say, "you have a chance like everyone else", although it is very slim.
username3787036
Rep:
?
Year 11? Well law is immensely competitive, and you should attempt Oxbridge if you able to compete with your peers, this is cut and throat, yet the bitter truth. You need to be the best of the best in a certain subject in order meet the minimum requirements.

I feel that honesty is better than viewing Oxbridge through rose tinted spectacles, some may say, "you have a chance like everyone else", although it is very slim.
Actually... Year 9!! Im currently a grade 9 in History and RE
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Actually... Year 9!! Im currently a grade 9 in History and RE
Grade 8*, you can't award 9s.

Good luck though, however it would be better to decide your A levels in year 12, since people do change. I once had a friend who wanted to be a thereotical physicist in year 9, who then hated physics and chose to do law. xD
username3787036
Rep:
?
Grade 8*, you can't award 9s.

Good luck though, however it would be better to decide your A levels in year 12, since people do change. I once had a friend who wanted to be a thereotical physicist in year 9, who then hated physics and chose to do law. xD
Oh. And yeah thanks, Im ready for the competitive things... I think I'm dedicated and love every aspect of the job. I cant wait!!!
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TSRFT8)
Ignore this, it is genuinely dreadful advice. Chances are, he goes to one of the highlighted ones and wanted to creep it in.
No, I currently study at Harrow School, in year 12..... This was on the law ranking list.
username2337287
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You do realise these "ranking" lists are literally subject to irrelevant filters?. League tables provide a very bad insight into how "good" a university it, I find personally.

Usually, prestigious universities are rated better for law. Whilst that includes the ones you listed, your list misses off some of the best law schools in this country; LSE, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield, Exeter.

Of course, in year 12, you usually get told to look at the "league tables". But like I said, these tables should be taken with a pinch of salt. Usually, providing a university is in the Russell Group, it is well regarded by employers, law firms alike. Although, this is not to say, just because a university is outside the RG it is bad.
Harrovians only go to the best, hence the others aren't important to us.
Alexty28
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You do realise these "ranking" lists are literally subject to irrelevant filters?. League tables provide a very bad insight into how "good" a university it, I find personally.

Usually, prestigious universities are rated better for law. Whilst that includes the ones you listed, your list misses off some of the best law schools in this country; LSE, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Birmingham, Sheffield, Exeter.

Of course, in year 12, you usually get told to look at the "league tables". But like I said, these tables should be taken with a pinch of salt. Usually, providing a university is in the Russell Group, it is well regarded by employers, law firms alike. Although, this is not to say, just because a university is outside the RG it is bad.
You are correct, but there was nothing wrong with his list, the Universities he chose are known to have exceptional law schools.
username2353215
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
You are correct, but there was nothing wrong with his list, the Universities he chose are known to have exceptional law schools.
Like I said, his list contained the right universities, but may have given the OP the impression that only those are the universities worth going to.
igotohaggerston
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cambridge is the best for everything
igotohaggerston
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's a cheeky proof by contradiction. Assume there exists a thing Cambridge is not the best at, then Cambridge doesn't offer it, hence the thing is irrelevant, hence given epsilon>0 there is a N such that for all n>N the absolute value of the thing is less than epsilon. This implies the thing tends to zero as n tends to infinity. Hence the thing does not exist (this is a trivial consequence of its irrelevancy and the fact it's less than (in magnitude) epsilon for all epsilon>0, I will leave this as an excersice for the reader). This contradicts our assumption that there is a thing Cambridge is not the best at. Thus Cambridge is the best at all things!
aspiringlawyerNW
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a bit early to be choosing a university but it's great that you are contemplating the future.
My advice for now would be just to knuckle down and enjoy yourself. Pick A levels you will enjoy, you don't need to study Law to go on to study Law at university. Oh and get involved in as many societies and clubs as you can, they make for great talking points further down the line.
igotohaggerston
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Then sue me. I'll get my Cambridge law friends to represent me, and if we win, Cambridge is clearly best at law.
igotohaggerston
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  Screenshot_20180331-142327-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 117
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20180331-142603-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 115
Size:  99.8 KB

2 sources above that disagree. Bite me.
igotohaggerston
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's your point?
igotohaggerston
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All you have proved by listing quite old alumni is that there exists a time in the past where oxford was probably better than Cambridge.It has no real indication on modern performance. As I have presented in previous posts 2 respectable league tables have placed Cambridge above Oxford in the law tables for present time performance and looking at how they came up with the tables it seems a lot more thought goes into it than considering alumni and faculty size.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise