The Student Room Group

failed medic/son

i applied 2nd time this year for medicine. first time i applied was straight out of school, i didnt want it then. my mum cried when i got rejected from everywhere. Now, i am a final year student studying genetics at one of the best RG unis around. i applied again and this time i did want it, i got 2 interviews and i got rejected from both, and i already had two rejections. my mom cried this time too. i had vowed to never let my mom cry because of me after the first time it happened. it feels like ****.
i dont go out much, i dont game, drink, smoke or do drugs. i have never had a girlfriend. i have done everything as my parents wanted, except taking medicine instead of genetics first time round. i have a spotless character. i have volunteered, done music and sports and i have the grades.

about a week after my last rejection (during which i had been crying about every 2 hours), i was finally starting to move on and preparing for the next round along with applying for masters/**** jobs/grad schemes. i was playing a game on my phone, my mum comes in and says this is the reason that i did not get into medicine, because i am a gamer. when i say that playing a game on my phone occasionally doesnt make me a gamer, she says 'no one can change anyone's destiny'. this isnt the first time she has said something like this, it feels like i got the wind knocked out of me.

I just want to see my parents be proud of me, just once. i wonder if that will ever happen.
What were your GCSEs, A levels, UCKAT/BMAT* results, and work experience/volunteering.
Original post by Anonymous
i applied 2nd time this year for medicine. first time i applied was straight out of school, i didnt want it then. my mum cried when i got rejected from everywhere. Now, i am a final year student studying genetics at one of the best RG unis around. i applied again and this time i did want it, i got 2 interviews and i got rejected from both, and i already had two rejections. my mom cried this time too. i had vowed to never let my mom cry because of me after the first time it happened. it feels like ****.
i dont go out much, i dont game, drink, smoke or do drugs. i have never had a girlfriend. i have done everything as my parents wanted, except taking medicine instead of genetics first time round. i have a spotless character. i have volunteered, done music and sports and i have the grades.

about a week after my last rejection (during which i had been crying about every 2 hours), i was finally starting to move on and preparing for the next round along with applying for masters/**** jobs/grad schemes. i was playing a game on my phone, my mum comes in and says this is the reason that i did not get into medicine, because i am a gamer. when i say that playing a game on my phone occasionally doesnt make me a gamer, she says 'no one can change anyone's destiny'. this isnt the first time she has said something like this, it feels like i got the wind knocked out of me.

I just want to see my parents be proud of me, just once. i wonder if that will ever happen.

I got all my offers for medicine first time round. But I did it all for family< i was dying to make them proud. Only now do I hate msyelf for getign into a career I don't like, and it hurts so so much deep down to know their "love" is so conditional,a nd they will only love me if I always do excatly as they say so. i am just waiitng for the day I a, forced to disagree on their opinion on somehting ( eg marriage) and suddenly I become the worst person in the world, as if I have never done anything for them.

Please dont cry. realsie that their is more of us out there like you, i yearn for a single moment of appreciation from my family. You lost the dream twice, I gained it twice but am still so unhappy.

I want to send oyu a hug, please dont cry. Be strong, because life goes on

much love xx
I got all my offers for medicine first time round. But I did it all for family< i was dying to make them proud. Only now do I hate msyelf for getign into a career I don't like, and it hurts so so much deep down to know their "love" is so conditional,a nd they will only love me if I always do excatly as they say so. i am just waiitng for the day I a, forced to disagree on their opinion on somehting ( eg marriage) and suddenly I become the worst person in the world, as if I have never done anything for them.

Please dont cry. realsie that their is more of us out there like you, i yearn for a single moment of appreciation from my family. You lost the dream twice, I gained it first time but am still so unhappy.

I want to send oyu a hug, please dont cry. Be strong, because life goes on

much love xx

take care
Reply 4
take care

I dunno, I think I would rather have your situation than mine. But then again, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Original post by Science99999
What were your GCSEs, A levels, UCKAT/BMAT* results, and work experience/volunteering.

Standard grades - all A's; highers 4As 1B. Degree - 69% could end up as a first or a 2.2
You tried, don’t feel bad 🌸 Medicine isn’t the only route you can go. Life is full of mysteries and you just may find love in something else, you just have to search hard enough ☀️ Don’t feel upset about what your mum said,she’s just sad that you didn’t get it but from your OP it seems more her dream than yours for you to do medicine 💎 there isn’t much you can do other than trying to apply next year until then make something of your life and find something your passionate about or a good job that can help support you and your family financially 🌺
OP, i have done medicine at uni and i will say this. Do medicine for the right reasons and only if you genuinely want it. Because its such a demanding career which consumes a lot of your life and its your life at the end of the day. It sounds like your mum wants it more than you do. And you have to do what makes you happy.
I know how upsetting it can be to be rejected from medical school.
If you genuinely want to do med, then look into how you can improve your application. There is tonnes of advice on this forum and people to help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending