Chances for Medicine??

Watch this thread
OxygenOxide
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My GCSEs are not the best and since starting A level I have been wondering if I have a good chance to study medicine. I currently have 1-A*, 3-As , 7-Bs , and 1-C.

However I am currently doing pretty well in my A levels and will most likely get predicted an A*AA in Physics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. I will also probably get an A*/A in EPQ

My question is if I have a good UKAT/BMAT scores along with a good application with all the necessary work experience will I still have a chance or will I be completely wiped out by the competition who have much better GCSEs than me? I have been really bothered by this over the past couple of weeks as I have always wanted to do medicine, so could someone with experience please clarify or reassure me about this topic and what are my realistic chances?

My universities of interest are as follows,

-Cambridge- (give it a shot)
-Edinburgh
-Queen Mary

Note that I am applying to universities with GCSEs requirements that I meet as well as universities that don't require biology as I do not study it.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OxygenOxide)
My GCSEs are not the best and since starting A level I have been wondering if I have a good chance to study medicine. I currently have 1-A*, 3-As , 7-Bs , and 1-C.

However I am currently doing pretty well in my A levels and will most likely get predicted an A*AA in Physics, Maths and Chemistry respectively. I will also probably get an A*/A in EPQ

My question is if I have a good UKAT/BMAT scores along with a good application with all the necessary work experience will I still have a chance or will I be completely wiped out by the competition who have much better GCSEs than me? I have been really bothered by this over the past couple of weeks as I have always wanted to do medicine, so could someone with experience please clarify or reassure me about this topic and what are my realistic chances?

My universities of interest are as follows,

-Cambridge- (give it a shot)
-Edinburgh
-Queen Mary

Note that I am applying to universities with GCSEs requirement that I meet as well as universities that don't require biology as I do not study it.
It was not a good idea to avoid biology if I'm honest - you shut off IC and Lancaster - two universities that would've suited you well. Maybe it might be worth doing AS biology at least for other med schools.

If you get a good UKCAT score you should be fine. You're going to need A*A*A predictions to get considered for Cambridge.
stephanieraine
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm in Year 10 at the moment so haven't done my GCSEs yet but I've been told by most of my teachers that GCSE grades only matter for what A Level courses that you get onto and universities only look at your predicted A Level grades. I think you shouldn't worry that your GCSEs grades will stop you from getting onto a course in Medicine because I don't think that's what it is judged by.
aspiringmedic08
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm not too sure, but I think if you avoid unis that place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs - for example Birmingham- you should be fine if you do well in your BMAT, UKCAT and predicteds. Make sure to do your research! I could be wrong but I think quite a lot of med schools do require biology, so maybe doing it at AS level would help your chances. Good luck!
OxygenOxide
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
It was not a good idea to avoid biology if I'm honest - you shut off IC and Lancaster - two universities that would've suited you well. Maybe it might be worth doing AS biology at least for other med schools.

If you get a good UKCAT score you should be fine. You're going to need A*A*A predictions to get considered for Cambridge.
Yes you're right, I thought that if I picked physics however it would be the safer route as i would keep all doors open just in case I couldn't get into medicine I could go into engineering. But yes in general Biology is better. But my school doesn't let us do 4 A levels and I don't really want to stay for an extra year If I don't have to.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OxygenOxide)
Yes you're right, I thought that if I picked physics however it would be the safer route as i would keep all doors open just in case I couldn't get into medicine I could go into engineering. But yes in general Biology is better. But my school doesn't let us do 4 A levels and I don't really want to stay for an extra year If I don't have to.
Fair enough I suppose.

My advice from my previous post is the same however. Try and get as high scores as possible and enter the UKCAT at an apt time. If you don't get high enough, maybe prioritise engineering? It's still an excellent field.

Imperial Engineering wouldn't care about your GCSEs, but you'd likely you need A*A*A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (36)
15.06%
The paper was reasonable (123)
51.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
24.27%
It was TERRIBLE (22)
9.21%

Watched Threads